OC or CC? - Page 7
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: OC or CC?

1. Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    It's all a matter of common sense.
    Which is not a requirement to carry a gun! (nor should it be...)

handgonnetoter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Well, actually it's a pretty common mistake that people make. A stop for a traffic infraction is considered, legally, an arrest. Anytime a police officer stops you, and you are not free to leave, you have been arrested by that officer. Technically when an officer stops you and asks you, "Do you know I pulled you over?", if you answer that question with a "confession" you have given up your 5th amendment rights. I am not saying to make a big deal about it, but, in reality that is what is happening.

Talk about giving up the 5th amendment - there is a rural road that a lot of people use as a shortcut where I live and the speed limit on that road changes from 50 to 35 to 50 to 40. The 50 to 40 change is at the entrance to a curve with a grocery store around the curve. So I am going along with the cruise control set at 52 and just totally space-out the speed limit change to 40, come around the curve and there is Mr. Sheriff sitting at the grocery store (on the left). I slowed down as soon as I saw him, didn't even wait for him to pull out.... I just turned on my hazard blinkers and a couple yards past him is a private road to the right. I just pulled onto that road and waited. (I was in my Miata with the top down at the time).

I immediately gave him all the paperwork and stated that I had my cruise control set and just forgot about the speed limit change. He just held up my driver's license and said, I'll check this out and be right back and let you go with a verbal warning, and that was it. About 1 year ago I got a ticket in that exact same spot!

So, I am not advocating to always stand up for all of your rights - but when it is an officer questioning you over perfectly legal behavior - simply because they or someone else doesn't like what you are doing, then the situation changes.
    Wait a minute, I thought someone could actually, with legal counsel, fight that speed limit thing as some sort of entrapment.

4. Quote Originally Posted by handgonnetoter View Post
    Wait a minute, I thought someone could actually, with legal counsel, fight that speed limit thing as some sort of entrapment.
    RCW 46.61.470
    Speed traps defined, certain types permitted -- Measured courses, speed measuring devices, timing from aircraft.

(1) No evidence as to the speed of any vehicle operated upon a public highway by any person arrested for violation of any of the laws of this state regarding speed or of any orders, rules, or regulations of any city or town or other political subdivision relating thereto shall be admitted in evidence in any court at a subsequent trial of such person in case such evidence relates to or is based upon the maintenance or use of a speed trap except as provided in subsection (2) of this section. A "speed trap," within the meaning of this section, is a particular section of or distance on any public highway, the length of which has been or is measured off or otherwise designated or determined, and the limits of which are within the vision of any officer or officers who calculate the speed of a vehicle passing through such speed trap by using the lapsed time during which such vehicle travels between the entrance and exit of such speed trap.

(2) Evidence shall be admissible against any person arrested or issued a notice of a traffic infraction for violation of any of the laws of this state or of any orders, rules, or regulations of any city or town or other political subdivision regarding speed if the same is determined by a particular section of or distance on a public highway, the length of which has been accurately measured off or otherwise designated or determined and either: (a) The limits of which are controlled by a mechanical, electrical, or other device capable of measuring or recording the speed of a vehicle passing within such limits; or (b) a timing device is operated from an aircraft, which timing device when used to measure the elapsed time of a vehicle passing over such a particular section of or distance upon a public highway indicates the speed of a vehicle.

(3) The exceptions of subsection (2) of this section are limited to devices or observations with a maximum error of not to exceed five percent using the lapsed time during which such vehicle travels between such limits, and such limits shall not be closer than one-fourth mile.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by handgonnetoter View Post
    In MI it is not common knowledge that there are state laws governing the setting of speed limits, how, where, population density, business, residential, etc, that are suppose to be followed, but in many cases are not, and hence are in violation of state law......
    if you were to be ticketed in such a area you could fight it based upon the criteria required to set a limit, and once fought and won you would invalidate every ticket written in that area. However a prudent judge would throw out your case before he would let that happen (ticket dismissed).....
    Could it be that way where you live too??????
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century
    "Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out!" Father John Corapi.

Talk about a derailed topic!
    Don't do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics...

Quote Originally Posted by hopnpop View Post
    Talk about a derailed topic!
    You got that right, makes you loose interest

Quote Originally Posted by Old Irishman View Post
    You got that right, makes you loose interest
    N this is helping how?
    BOT every thing has it's place and time, OC CC, I have done both in the appropriate places, and am locked into neither.... How about you?
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon View Post
    N this is helping how?
    BOT every thing has it's place and time, OC CC, I have done both in the appropriate places, and am locked into neither.... How about you?
    Same here. While I'm a strong advocate of OC, there are still times when I choose to CC. Sometimes it depends on the venue, sometimes I just like being able to let my situational awareness slip a little. Granted, I still keep some level of SA but when OCing, I have to keep it PEAKED. Doing that a lot can be mentally tiring, keeping constant tabs on every person nearby, constant train of thought on available cover and concealment... I still keep some of that when concealing but not at the level I feel I have to maintain when carrying openly. I REALLY enjoy keeping both OC and CC options available.

Quote Originally Posted by hopnpop View Post
    Same here. While I'm a strong advocate of OC, there are still times when I choose to CC. Sometimes it depends on the venue, sometimes I just like being able to let my situational awareness slip a little. Granted, I still keep some level of SA but when OCing, I have to keep it PEAKED. Doing that a lot can be mentally tiring, keeping constant tabs on every person nearby, constant train of thought on available cover and concealment... I still keep some of that when concealing but not at the level I feel I have to maintain when carrying openly. I REALLY enjoy keeping both OC and CC options available.
    Oh boy can I relate to that statement, and that has been on several occasions when I was CC and the area we were in.... well let us just say I did not really want to be there but had to be. Saying that now we can have only a fleeting glimpse of what kind of stress our troupes in Afghanistan and Iraq are under 24/7. like I said earlier OC CC each has it's place and time, and having my CC permit it is nice to have both options open, and all it takes is the flip of my shirt tail.

Ya know, Sheldon, we ought to get together sometime, maybe over to Southside or something. I make it over there once in a while, sometimes alone, sometimes with my wife. I really like that place and Joel and Jared are great fellas. Just a thought. We seem to be on pretty much the same page. Or, rather, I'll have to let you know the next time we have an OC event (picnic probably) in BC. Just a thought. BTW, are you on OCDO?

As for the use of SA and SA mentality in OUR lives, yeah, it hardly compares to what our troops' mentality would have to be "over there". Just imagining it is exhausting.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast