What is the minimum caliber you need to feel safe? - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the minimum caliber you need to feel safe?

I think it has less to do with the caliber of the gun and more with the comfort and training with it. I know I've used some 9mm's that I was absolutely terrible with and the recoil screwed me over for a follow-up shot and then used some particularly heavy 45s that a follow-up shot and much much easier. I mean if you can be dead-on with a 22 pistol but can't hit a broad side of a barn with a larger caliber, the choice is obvious. I mean I'd love to carry around an XD45 with 13 rounds of 45 ready to go, but with the comfort level I have with my 229, I wouldn't trade it for the bigger hole.

3. My first choice would be my .45, but I bought the M&P9 because ammo is going through the roof and I like to shoot. I feel very comfortable with the 9mm. If for some reason I can't hit the perp with the first two, I have 15 more tries.

The bare minimum would be a .38. I carry my 642 loaded with SGDHP 135gr+P. I also carry a speed strip. In no way do I feel out gunned with this setup. nice and light with plenty of power.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

I feel ok going w/ out a gun but prefer to carry just in case. A .32 is fine for most any evening out but I normally have the .380. sometimes bigger
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself."
    (George Washington)

http://www.helprebekah.com./

For me the .380 is usually a BUG. If I couldn't carry a .45ACP or 9MM, I wouldn't feel too bad carrying the .380. But .380 is the minimum cal. I would choose to defend myself.
    Richard

a 380 keltec in the front pocket most of the year here in florida..naa mini, 9mm derringer backup...two days a year when i can wear a jacket, i strap on my 9mm MAC...i am looking forward to those days...gpr

I carry either a 45 or a 32, both ACP :).

The P3AT was new and impossible to get when I bought my P32. I would prefer the 380 but have to settle for the 32. I think the next carry only pistol I buy will be the Keltec PF-9, until then I have to either carry my Kimber or settle for the little 32.

9mm is my minimum. I'm thinking seriously about picking up a nice .38+p hammerless snubbie for a bug, though.

P3AT with Cor-bon or Speer Gold Dots is minimum. Have also carried Llama 1911's in .22,.32, and .380 cal. Prefer my Colt, Sig, or Kimber in .45 acp.

I carry a 1911. Sometimes I carry my XD9.

The minimum I would carry is a 9 Luger or .38 Special

Any weapon available at the time I needed one would make me feel good! A well placed shot with a 22cal will do the job. Most so called professional hits use a silencer and the most popular is a 22cal with sub-sonic ammo. In order to silence a weapon you must use sub-sonic ammo. Anything that has a muzzle velocity of less than 1100 fps can be silenced, so placement is key. Personally I like to at least have a 9mm on me but if I need a smaller weapon for concealment I do use a .380. .25 auto is out of the question. Remember a face full of 25's will only piss off the assaulter!:D

(Disclaimer: Notice the smiley...I'm being sarcastic!;) )
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast