What is the minimum caliber you need to feel safe? - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the minimum caliber you need to feel safe?

Stopping power depends less on caliber than it does on shot placement. A
    .22LR to the central nervous system will do a heck of a lot more damage and have a lot more stopping power than a .45 to the leg.

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    Stopping power depends less on caliber than it does on shot placement. A
    .22LR to the central nervous system will do a heck of a lot more damage and have a lot more stopping power than a .45 to the leg.
    The statement is basically true. However, a .380, 9mm, .45ACP, etc. to the CNS is more effective, does a lot more damage, and stop a BG quicker than a .22LR in the same place.

Shot placement is important. But shot placement with a viable SD caliber trumps shot placement with a .22LR, .25ACP, .32ACP, or shingshot with a pebble IMO.
    Richard

4. I picked the 9 mil. over the .38 because I felt a revolver would "print" more in shorts pockets than my Kel Tec P-11. Plus that round is the lease expensive to buy so I can afford to practice more.

That's my golden rule. Choose a gun in the caliber you can physically handle and afford to practice with. If you can't hit the target, it doesn't matter the size of the round. :)

If I am working and think I might have to go tactical/offensive I carry a 45ACP or High cap 9mm., If its just every day duty, I carry whats easy, and that is most often a Kel Tec P11 or P3at..........
    You can run, But you only get caught tired

Just remember, that handguns are for the most part very low performers in one shot stopping power. If you want to increase hand gun performance, you have to increase diameter and weight of projectile, not velocity.....and as others have said, its where ya put em that counts, that can only be realised by training and practice......... and in a real life, live or die situation you are not gonna have very long to think about it........ shot and move, or shoot and take cover, ya got to be thinking all the time, what would I do if it happens here... right now!........ the more you learn and train, the less chance you will make a mistake when yours or your family's lives depend on what you do. When you put that gun on this morning you choose to walk the warriors path............learn to be a warrior or leave your guns at home.........................Just my opinion, sorry for the rant:)
    Last edited by big dog; 09-28-2007 at 12:34 AM. Reason: add text
    You can run, But you only get caught tired

For daily carry I pack a Makarov PM, which is 9x18 as opposed to .380 acp (9x17). I choose FMJ instead of HP because penetration to vital areas is a must, and HPs don't penetrate so well with small calibres.

But with this configuration, I feel pretty good. I'd be nervous with .22LR though. Don't know whether it would get through that leather jacket..

8. Quote Originally Posted by lukemccoy View Post
    I bought my .32 before I really got into concealed carry, actually the day I was getting my permit. After reading a lot, it seems that .380 was the lowest caliber to really use. But I still carry just my .32 sometimes, its better than nothing. When I get a revolver it will be a .38 or larger, I think.
    A 32 is definately better than throwing rocks!! :)

9mm. Carry .45, but 9 mil. is the least I would tote.
    "How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." -- Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)

Like many here, 9mm is my minimum.
    Doug - NRA, GOA, MGO, SAFE

G17, G19, G22, G23, G26, G27, SIG P229, Ruger GP100
    Bushmaster AR-15 (XM-15), Winchester 1300 Defender 12 Gauge, Ruger PC-9 (9mm Carbine)

Why do I carry a gun? Because I can't carry a cop!

11. I like 9mm, but since the first time I fired a .40 I won't go back. To me there is little difference in recoil. As far as magazine capacity my PX4 holds 15 rounds and fits my hand like a glove. I also have a P94 which is nice but I like the PX4 best.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast