Traveling through New Mexico with handgun?

Thread: Traveling through New Mexico with handgun?

Traveling through New Mexico with handgun?

Greetings all.

I'll be traveling through New Mexico with a handgun. I have CCW permits for all states I'm going through EXCEPT New Mexico. Should I just lock it in the trunk of the car, or are there more requirements?

Thanks.

Just to be on the safe side I personally would separate the ammo from the pistol. (That would include emptying the mags) Here in Ohio a loaded magazine is considered the same as a loaded pistol? Too many stupid laws!

Thanks Duke. And folks think some California gun laws are bad. At least we do not have to keep ammo separate, just not loaded.

My plan is to lock it in a lock box, empty of course, and put the box in the trunk. The ammo will be in the passenger compartment. Sure glad I'm going from Az to Tx with no plans to stop in NM.

Thanks again, just needed some ideas besides mine.

I'm originally from New Mexico and, unless things have changed, it's an open carry state. You should be fine. Here's some info:

New Mexico Concealed Carry Permit Information

Pay particular attention to the following excerpt:

Automobile carry:
    Loaded, concealed firearms may be carried anywhere in a private automobile for self-protection.

Personally, I would keep my gun loaded and on my person in New Mexico. Which is perfectly legal in New Mexico without any permit at all - so long as it is not concealed.

If you do want the protection of Federal law, should you choose to take advantage of the Firearms Owners Protection Act, simply lock the unloaded gun in the trunk with the ammo in the trunk as well. You can even leave your magazines loaded. If you follow Duke's advice and separate the ammo from the gun by carrying the ammo in the passenger compartment, the Federal law (FOPA) will no longer protect you because you have now violated the provisions in FOPA.

18 USC 926A:
    Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Personally, I would just keep the loaded gun on my belt, where it belongs.

http://www.opencarry.org/nm.html
    and
    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum39/