Had To Draw Tonight
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Had To Draw Tonight

Had To Draw Tonight

I took a half day from work today to get some things done that I had been putting off. I finished my "chores" early and decided to run to my office quickly to pick up my mail. My dog loves to go for car rides so I took her along. Keep in mind that my office's mail boxes are in a common lobby. I park right out front, roll the windows down about 3 inches so the beagle can't get out, and head into the lobby. Where I parked was in the shade and it was about 65 degrees outside. There were 2 other cars in the parking lot and 1 person sitting at a picnic table in the designated smoking spot. The offices were closed, but there are sometimes people working late here.

I was at my mailbox for literally not even a minute when I turned around and see a strange woman standing next to my car. I go outside and ask if I can help her.

Me: Can I help you with something?
    Her: Are you crazy, do you want to kill your dog?
    Me: No ma'am, I had to get my mail and the dog wanted to come with me. I was inside for less than a minute with the windows open, and I parked in the shade. (At this time I notice she is holding a tire iron.)
    Her: I don't care, someone should take this dog away from you. (She throws her cigarette at me)
    Me: I will be leaving now. My dog was not in any danger. The windows were down and I was inside for a minute. That is not illegal and once again I will be leaving.
    Her: No, you should die for what you did to your dog. I'm should kill you and take her away from you.
    Me: You need to back up (hand on my firearm at this point. She is really mad and screaming now. I am talking in a very calm voice.)
    Her: No you dog abuser. You should die!- (she starts walking toward me with the tire iron in her hand.)

I draw to low ready and tell her to back up. She drops the tire iron and runs to her car and drives away I could not get a plate number. I call 911.

The police show up and I tell them what happened. Luckily the tire iron was still on the ground where she dropped it. I gave the police a description of the woman and her car. They feel she works in the same complex, but I have never seen her before. The police checked my permit to make sure it was valid, and checked my firearm. They said they would keep and eye out, but said I did nothing wrong and was justified in drawing. They handed me back my gun and the cartridges (wheelgun) and were on their way. At some point she mentioned she was with PETA, and this is not the first instance I have heard of things like this.

Overall, I am happy how I handled the situation, and the police were ok with it. They felt she was probably going to smash my window and take the dog, but I returned in time to stop her.

Sounds to me like you did fine. Sounds to me like the Cop thought you did fine, too. Crazy people is one of the reasons God made guns...good thing you were in a position to protect yourself and your dog...if that had happened to me, for example, here in New Jersey, you'd be reading about my statistic in the paper.
    NRA Life; GOA Life; CCRKBA Life; Trustee, NJCSD; F&AM: 32 & KT
    The Only Answer to a Bad Guy with a Gun - Is a Good Guy with a Gun!
    When Seconds Count...The Police are only MINUTES Away!

Great job in handling the situation. Glad no one was hurt. Hard to believe someone would be that crazy over a dog BUT that's why we arm ourselves. To protect ourselves and Family from the crazies. Bravo Zulu!
    Although for the Touchy-feely crowd, I would have tried to console her, maybe find out why she was having a bad day. Maybe offered a Frappuccino and a muffin.

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

You did good! It's the crazy ones that you have to look out for...

BTW, what state are you in? After a little searching I see you are in NY.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    You did good! It's the crazy ones that you have to look out for...

BTW, what state are you in? After a little searching I see you are in NY.
    I live in NY, but I work about an hour away in CT.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Sights on Target View Post
    I took a half day from work today to get some things done that I had been putting off. I finished my "chores" early and decided to run to my office quickly to pick up my mail. My dog loves to go for car rides so I took her along. Keep in mind that my office's mail boxes are in a common lobby. I park right out front, roll the windows down about 3 inches so the beagle can't get out, and head into the lobby. Where I parked was in the shade and it was about 65 degrees outside. There were 2 other cars in the parking lot and 1 person sitting at a picnic table in the designated smoking spot. The offices were closed, but there are sometimes people working late here.

I was at my mailbox for literally not even a minute when I turned around and see a strange woman standing next to my car. I go outside and ask if I can help her.

Me: Can I help you with something?
    Her: Are you crazy, do you want to kill your dog?
    Me: No ma'am, I had to get my mail and the dog wanted to come with me. I was inside for less than a minute with the windows open, and I parked in the shade. (At this time I notice she is holding a tire iron.)
    Her: I don't care, someone should take this dog away from you. (She throws her cigarette at me)
    Me: I will be leaving now. My dog was not in any danger. The windows were down and I was inside for a minute. That is not illegal and once again I will be leaving.
    Her: No, you should die for what you did to your dog. I'm should kill you and take her away from you.
    Me: You need to back up (hand on my firearm at this point. She is really mad and screaming now. I am talking in a very calm voice.)
    Her: No you dog abuser. You should die!- (she starts walking toward me with the tire iron in her hand.)

I draw to low ready and tell her to back up. She drops the tire iron and runs to her car and drives away I could not get a plate number. I call 911.

The police show up and I tell them what happened. Luckily the tire iron was still on the ground where she dropped it. I gave the police a description of the woman and her car. They feel she works in the same complex, but I have never seen her before. The police checked my permit to make sure it was valid, and checked my firearm. They said they would keep and eye out, but said I did nothing wrong and was justified in drawing. They handed me back my gun and the cartridges (wheelgun) and were on their way. At some point she mentioned she was with PETA, and this is not the first instance I have heard of things like this.

Overall, I am happy how I handled the situation, and the police were ok with it. They felt she was probably going to smash my window and take the dog, but I returned in time to stop her.
    SOT glad it work out for the best. What might you have you done if she kept ad advancing and had not dropped her weapon?
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."Frederic Bastia

LOL. You can't make that stuff up. Mybe some day she will actually break the windows, and get eaten for her effort.

You done good, pilgrim.
    You can run... but you'll just die tired. 3%

PETA freaks. She's an obvious whack job and perhaps she'll now think twice when she tries to assault another two legged creature in the future.

Glad that it worked out OK. Good self control.

Gotta give ya credit for keeping cool and not 2 tapping her at center mass

Yea, the nuts with the guns are the dangerous people

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Excellent way to defuse the situation, you did everything right. Sounds like the woman needs a head transplant! I'm glad you and your dog were unhurt.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast