5.7x28..... Man stopper? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 5.7x28..... Man stopper?

1. First off, let me say that the advantages this round gives outside of terminal ballistics makes it a very viable choice for any purpose you can think of. Low recoil, high mag capacity, high reliability, light weigh, extremely accurate.

As many folks will point out, shot placement is key, and this fact makes the 5.7 king.

Now on to the Terminal ballistics. According to brassfetcher.com, some specialized ammo is equal to, or greater than that of a .45 auto. The standard ammo (ss197) is comparable to a high quality 9mm, or a low velocity .40s&w.

To call this round a .22 magnum is ridiculous. The bullets are designed completely differently for one. Also, a .22 mag from a pistol only travels at 1400 fps, whereas the 5.7 goes 1800-2200 fps from a pistol. Thats a MASSIVE difference in energy.

thirdly, to say that a 10mm is any good for anything but for hunting is dumb because the recoil is absurd, and followup shots take days.

I've seen people use the 5.7x28mm round through a fiveseven pistol successfully for hunting as well. Keep in mind that the round is carrying 4-500 Ft-lbs of energy when it hits. If you can place a shot in the right spot, it will kill the animal as good or better than a bow. A bow only does 130-240 FTLbs. Plus there's no time for the animal to react from hearing the round after its fired. I'm not saying it's an ideal hunting round, just not an impractical one by any means.

if you can do it with a .45 or a 9mm, you can do it with a fiveseven, plus some.

I believe the Secret Service chose it primarily for its ability to penetrate soft body armor. Along with its compactness and mag capacity. I would not feel "under" armed carrying it, that's for sure!

This looks painful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

I wouldn't trust my life to one, given the choice.

Dr. Fackler has a very low opinion of the round and those like it, and I have to agree.

That round does nothing I need done, in any way in which I want it done.

In its military guise, it's ONLY claim to fame is being able to penetrate an '80s era NATO type steel helmet. If I need more penetration than I'll get from a 9x19mm, I'll use my CAR-15.

Around here, the muggers are FAR more likely to wear an Indians cap than a steel pot.

Quote Originally Posted by 6shootercarry View Post
    Gotta go with Red Hat here. Overall firepower with that weapon is the key. Low recoil, quick follow up shots, and 30-50 rounds to dump into a target quickly... Yea it will kill a guy/gal.

One stop shot, eh... Perhaps not... I'd still take one if it grew in the garden.

Peace...
    Add to your comments the designer Elite ammunition that has excellent frangibility; combine that with low recoil and high velocity that gives you ease of shot and straight line accuracy and you have lethality. Let us not forget that the firearm itself is on a diet compared to its full size counterparts so with 21 rounds you are not lugging around a boulder. Quite frankly I do not know what threadwriter NRA's problem seems to be but it would be nice if he at least got a little "opinionated" with something useful for the discussion.

I always like people who think that certain rounds are not "Man Stoppers". Unless your are doped up on something, a uberbada** (Seal, Airborne, Marine) or from the plant Krypton, ALL ROUNDS ARE MAN STOPPERS. Nobody is going to get shot with a 22 and not 1. Stop and think about proceeding 2. No be in pain. Besides isn't shot placement more important than the size of your bullet?

On a note for the OP, I LOVE the 5.7 round. When money comes available I'm converting my AR-15 to shoot 5.7 rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by dobleceroseite View Post
    I always like people who think that certain rounds are not "Man Stoppers". Unless your are doped up on something, a uberbada** (Seal, Airborne, Marine) or from the plant Krypton, ALL ROUNDS ARE MAN STOPPERS. Nobody is going to get shot with a 22 and not 1. Stop and think about proceeding 2. No be in pain. Besides isn't shot placement more important than the size of your bullet?

On a note for the OP, I LOVE the 5.7 round. When money comes available I'm converting my AR-15 to shoot 5.7 rounds.
    I have the AR57 upper, and I love it. It is solidly built so if you have an aluminum lower receiver, it will be a tad heavy. I moved it to a Plum Crazy polymer, but haven't had a chance to try it yet.

I wouldn't trust my life to one, given the choice.

Dr. Fackler has a very low opinion of the round and those like it, and I have to agree.

That round does nothing I need done, in any way in which I want it done.

In its military guise, it's ONLY claim to fame is being able to penetrate an '80s era NATO type steel helmet. If I need more penetration than I'll get from a 9x19mm, I'll use my CAR-15.

Around here, the muggers are FAR more likely to wear an Indians cap than a steel pot.

Got to agree with the above.

"It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it" - SGB

9. 5.7 28 man stopper

FN makes a Great handgun, and is MUCH more than just a 22. Whoever wrote that should take the two out to a Range and fire both for comparison, then come back here with an informed opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by hurley40 View Post
    FN makes a Great handgun, and is MUCH more than just a 22. Whoever wrote that should take the two out to a Range and fire both for comparison, then come back here with an informed opinion.
    I saw a comparison of the FN Five Seven and the Kel Tec .22Mag guns though it was more of a comparison of the two different rounds. There was a big difference between the two with the 5.7 much more powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by SGB View Post
    Got to agree with the above.
    No I don't. ;) I'd like to see some vidoes of you shrugging off some hits from a 5.7x28mm.

I know, I know.... that's a dumb comment.
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast