Firing Squad...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: Firing Squad...

  1. Firing Squad...

    I was reading the article about the Utah execution this evening. The firing squad had 30 caliber rifles, one loaded with a blank. My question is wouldn't this be obvious to an experienced shooter? I fired both live rounds and blanks in the military and it was pretty obvious to me that the blanks didn't have the same sound or the recoil that a live round does.

    Wouldn't the guy who was firing the blank know?










    .

  2.   
  3. #2
    He would have to be totally dull-wtted to not know!

    -Doc

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Honolulu, HI & Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    2,797
    It's just a theory, but I'm hypothesizing that the media reported that one rifle was loaded with a blank for the sake of the general public.

    From what I understand, the firing squad was composed of off-duty LEO who VOLUNTEERED for the detail. They actually WANTED to be one of the squad members firing a live round. Knowing what the scumbag did, I'd have to say that I don't blame them.



    gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

  5. #4
    Just a guess, but I would have to say it would depend on how in the moment they were. If hopped up on adrenalin, it is entirely possible they may not be aware if they were the one with the blank or not. Scumbag or not, you are still the one potentially taking the life.

  6. #5
    wolfhunter Guest
    Should've been on live CCTV in every cell block in the country.

  7. #6
    handgonnetoter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    It's just a theory, but I'm hypothesizing that the media reported that one rifle was loaded with a blank for the sake of the general public.

    From what I understand, the firing squad was composed of off-duty LEO who VOLUNTEERED for the detail. They actually WANTED to be one of the squad members firing a live round. Knowing what the scumbag did, I'd have to say that I don't blame them.



    gf
    I'd dust his ass for free. Just buy me a big mac and some ammo is all I ask.

  8. #7
    I cant help but wonder if that was mis reported. Military firing squads consist of 5 people & 4 of them have blanks.
    All soldiers are trained to hit a 1 inch red box that is placed over the convicted's heart every time.

    The notion is that noone will know whom will be the lucky one to fire the shot.

    While I have never had the honor to serve on a firing squad they take their people from infantry battalions which I did have the honor of serving in so the "process" is often discussed.

    I would think civilian firing squads would have the same basic construct.

  9. #8
    handgonnetoter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by brickler View Post
    Just a guess, but I would have to say it would depend on how in the moment they were. If hopped up on adrenalin, it is entirely possible they may not be aware if they were the one with the blank or not. Scumbag or not, you are still the one potentially taking the life.
    Its all a matter of personal perspective. I tend to view these kind of things as if my family were the victim. After all, one of them could have been killed by the SOB as anybody elses family members were. The guy forfeited his right to live by doing what he did JUST because he felt like it. When he crossed that line he made his choice. Just my opinions, not trying to slam yours.

  10. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by handgonnetoter View Post
    Its all a matter of personal perspective. I tend to view these kind of things as if my family were the victim. After all, one of them could have been killed by the SOB as anybody elses family members were. The guy forfeited his right to live by doing what he did JUST because he felt like it. When he crossed that line he made his choice. Just my opinions, not trying to slam yours.
    That is a valid point, and that could be the rational that they use. And I do agree he did forfeited his right when he was convicted, and really like you said when he did his murders. My point was more to the point of, what may be going through the firing squad member's mind when he/she is getting ready to pull the trigger.

  11. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    I cant help but wonder if that was mis reported. Military firing squads consist of 5 people & 4 of them have blanks.
    All soldiers are trained to hit a 1 inch red box that is placed over the convicted's heart every time.

    The notion is that noone will know whom will be the lucky one to fire the shot.

    While I have never had the honor to serve on a firing squad they take their people from infantry battalions which I did have the honor of serving in so the "process" is often discussed.

    I would think civilian firing squads would have the same basic construct.
    Pure Baloney!

    An execution party was composed of eight men and at least five had live ammo!

    Here is an excerpt from the US Army execution procedure manual from 1947.

    ***

    "..SECTION II
    EXECUTION BY MUSKETRY
    13. Officer Charged with Execution
    The officer charged with the execution will command the escort
    and make the necessary arrangements for the conduct of the exe-
    cution. He will-
    a. Instruct and rehearse the escort and the execution party in
    -
    their duties, insuring that all members of the execution party are qualified in the weapon to be used.
    b.
    Arrange for the receipt of the prisoner by the prisoner guard.
    c.
    Arrange for an execution party of eight men and one sergeant.
    d.
    Arrange for a chaplain to accompany the prisoner.
    e.
    Arrange for the presence of a medical officer at the scene of the execution.
    f.
    Cause a post with proper rings placed therein for securing the prisoner in an upright position .to be erected at the place of execution.
    g.
    Cause eight rifles to be loaded in his presence. Not more than three nor less than one will be loaded with blank ammunition. He will place the rifles at random in the rack provided for that purpose.
    h.
    Provide a black hood to cover the head of the prisoner.
    i.
    Provide a 4-inch round target, white or black as appropriate ; ablack target will be used when light colored clothing is worn.
    j.
    Cause the prisoner's arms to be secured either behind his back or in front at the waist (fig. I),before or immediately after his receipt by the prisoner guard.
    k.
    Arrange for an ambulance or other conveyance with sufficient personnel to be in attendance upon the execution to receive and care for the body. In the event a contract undertaker is used by the quartermaster, his services may be substituted. See AR
    30-1820.
    1. Provide straps to secure the prisoner to the post at waist and ankles. (See par. 29b.)..."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Cop Fires Gun in Squad Car
    By HK4U in forum LEO Encounters
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-21-2010, 08:39 AM
  2. Glock dry firing
    By jessepeakdotcom in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-13-2010, 12:32 AM
  3. Cleaning the Firing Pin channel - how?
    By Daugherty16 in forum Handgun Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-18-2010, 04:16 PM
  4. Dry Firing...Yes or No
    By fdegree in forum Handgun Discussion
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 02-25-2009, 02:03 PM
  5. Police: Man Who Crashed After Firing Shots At Girlfriend Sought
    By HK4U in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-20-2008, 08:27 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast