• I would eagerly accept

18 37.50%
  • I would reluctantly accept

26 54.17%
  • I would be a conscientious objector

4 8.33%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: To kill or not to kill

Eagerly was the wrong word. It should have been left out and the question should have been " Would you accept to be on a firing squad".

I made 3 tours of Vietnam And have shot the enemy to save my life and the life of the men that were with me. Did it bother me to take a life?

No. No regrets no remorse.

Would it bother me to take a life of someone that had been found guilty of a crime, and that would prevent that person from harming someone else?

No.

I have been to see a couple of Doctors and they both said I have no psychological disorder.

eagerly is too strong, but I would not be overly reluctant. I would accept it and do my duty with no remorse especially if the guilty party victimized children.

Quote Originally Posted by Skywarrior View Post
    Eagerly was the wrong word. It should have been left out and the question should have been " Would you accept to be on a firing squad".

I made 3 tours of Vietnam And have shot the enemy to save my life and the life of the men that were with me. Did it bother me to take a life?

No. No regrets no remorse.

Would it bother me to take a life of someone that had been found guilty of a crime, and that would prevent that person from harming someone else?

No.

I have been to see a couple of Doctors and they both said I have no psychological disorder.
    My uncle served in Vietnam. He spoke to no one about it. Then one night my life long friend David had returned from basic training at Ft. Benning GA in 1986. We sat at a local bar and discussed things military (I did not serve so for me it was a treat).

David began about basic and the heat in GA and the night runs, the gas chamber etc... Then my uncle began to speak of the heat in Vietnam. He spoke of the smell of death and what being shot at 5 out of every 7 days did to some guys. He talked about killing the unknown men. I began to ask and with the words still forming in my head he looked at me and raised his hand and said "Don't ask, I stopped counting at 20 something"...

Both David and I sat for 5 hours slack jawed and attentive as he continued. That was the first time and last time he discussed his time there with me or anyone else that I know of.

He has never struck me as a killer or having any mental disorders.

Back to topic. I agree that "eagerly" is not the adjective best suited to describe the action of killing someone even if they themselves have wrongfully killed another human being.

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    I figured I would have the former Marine on my side... Hmmmm

OK Doc, how would you characterize hunters?
    I will grant you that I have met some hunters who didnt like the actual moment of the kill but saw it as a means to an end. By & large though most hunters like the the kill, It an adrenaline thing IMO (at least with big game). Are they closet sadist or is it killing as limited to humans?

I mean no offense; But
    You must NOT be a hunter Boomer.

I have a family member who is considered one of the greatest hunters of ALL times. This man has been written about and respected worldwide.

He literally has 100's of "kills" to his credit. (Including over 500 turkey and 500 deer; he also has several records to his credit) However, he along with every other hunter I know will tell you; "It's the thrill of the HUNT!"

They will also tell you that the actual kill is rather anti-climatic.

As to the OP;
    If it was my "JOB", I would reluctantly accept. However, I do feel there are "some" people who aren't worth the price of a bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    I mean no offense; But
    You must NOT be a hunter Boomer.

I have a family member who is considered one of the greatest hunters of ALL times. This man has been written about and respected worldwide.

He literally has 100's of "kills" to his credit. (Including over 500 turkey and 500 deer; he also has several records to his credit) However, he along with every other hunter I know will tell you; "It's the thrill of the HUNT!"

They will also tell you that the actual kill is rather anti-climatic.
    +1. I am an avid hunter and the killing is not the "be all, end all" of the hunt. Matter of fact, there have been many times when I have been somewhat saddened by the actual kill and that's as it should be, IMO. Early on, I instructed my youngest son, also a passionate outdoorsman, on the ethics of a good hunt and kill. More than once, we watched some beautiful animal take its last breath, as I believe that if you shoot it, you look it in the eye as it expires. Then, of course, we field-dressed it, butchered it, and ate it (and I'm not being a smartass, here) giving thanks to the Good Lord for His provision.

We've veered off-topic, here, but that's never really bothered me, like it does some others.
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    I am an avid hunter and the killing is not the "be all, end all" of the hunt. Matter of fact, there have been many times when I have been somewhat saddened by the actual kill and that's as it should be, IMO. Early on, I instructed my youngest son, also a passionate outdoorsman, on the ethics of a good hunt and kill. More than once, we watched some beautiful animal take its last breath, as I believe that if you shoot it, you look it in the eye as it expires. Then, of course, we field-dressed, butchered it, and ate it (and I'm not being a smartass, here) giving thanks to the Good Lord for His provision.
    There you have it.

Some good hunting stories are of the ones that lived to see another day, the ones that got away. Like a good fish story.

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

To kill or not to kill

I doubt if any particular State Prison Board is going to ask someone not employed by their Department of Corrections to serve on a firing squad, so unless any of you fit that description, you can rest easy, okay?
    MSgt, USAF (ret), Life Member - NRA, Life Member - NAHC,
    Life Member - NCOA, Member - USCCA, Member - NCGR,
    Member - Oathkeepers

Exclamation I would do my duty...

I would do my duty...nothing more nothing less.
    Some things need doing and they are not easy.
    Taking a life is a life changing event that I doubt the average person is ready for.
    I do not relish the thought but would as i said...do my duty...as every good military member (Retired or otherwise) must.
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

From a person who will not run over a Squirrel, but would have no problem killing some one stone dead! Who was about to hurt any one under my care and protection (or me!) being part of a firing squad? get some one else.

Yes "eager" was a poor choice of words. It was the best I could do without getting excessively wordy. What I was looking for was "Without hesitation or remorse".

@ Doc: Yes I did, I was looking for hypocrisy & glad I didn't find any.

@ tcox4freedom: Actually I am a hunter, mostly upland bird (few things are better than having a good dog on point with a fine double in your hands). I dont hunt deer, just dont have the time.
    I would differ with your assessment though. The hunt is just an enjoyable experience. Its those final minuets before the shot when all the excitement is. After the shot is when the work begins.
    There might some sick bastards that get a kick out of death throws but I am not one of them, it actually makes me feel bad because I failed to perform.

Back on topic. Looking at the poll results thus far while neither empirical nor definitive they do lead me to believe I am in fact a normal guy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast