18 37.50%
  • I would reluctantly accept

26 54.17%
  • I would be a conscientious objector

4 8.33%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To kill or not to kill

To kill or not to kill

Most of you have no doubt seen the thread Firing Squad. Without rehashing the original premise of the thread a sub-thread emerged about the morality & mental fitness of an individual that is willing nay happy to take the life of one of societies miscreants.

Now I dont consider myself any more blood thirsty than your average American boy. I grew up on a farm so I know that meat doesn't come from a grocery store.
    I served as an Infantryman at Fort Bragg & saw action in Panama & Iraq. My point is death is something that has been around my life my whole life & I recognize it for what it is, the final stage of our existance & do not fear it.
    I also have complete faith in the destination of my immortal soul.

We would all like to think that when our backs are against the wall & our lives or the lives of our families are at stake that we would have no trouble taking a life. But what about when you have an option?

Allow me to frame a scenario for you.

An individual has been tried & found guilty by his peers for the crime of **** (pick one, murder, rape child molestation, all of the above) & has been sentenced to death. All his appeals are over & you have been asked to be on the firing squad.

Do you 1) Eagerly accept so you can do your part to have justice served.
    2) Reluctantly accept because it is your duty.
    3) Decline for moral objections.

Please comment on why you chose what.

I am curious if I am in need of counseling or if America needs more guys like me.

wolfhunter Guest
    I would serve on a firing squad just as I would serve on a jury.
    However, there's a HUGE gap between "eagerly" and "reluctantly". Eagerness implies a pleasure will be gained through the service. Reluctance implies it is a duty that somebody HAS to do. While I would NOT be "eager" to serve, my only reluctance would lie in the regret that people would do things to warrant a death penalty from society.

Eagerness to kill, is often driven by enjoyment of it.

I have met LOTS of killers. Most are aghast at what they did.

The few who aren't, all enjoyed hurting others.

My professional observations. Your mileage may vary.

-Doc

I figured I would have the former Marine on my side... Hmmmm

OK Doc, how would you characterize hunters?
    I will grant you that I have met some hunters who didnt like the actual moment of the kill but saw it as a means to an end. By & large though most hunters like the the kill, It an adrenaline thing IMO (at least with big game). Are they closet sadist or is it killing as limited to humans?

I guess it would depend on the scumbag whether I would be eager or not. Some of them serving multiple life sentences that deserve the death sentence comes to mind! Either way if called on I'd do it.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then be not too eager to deal out death in the name of justice, fearing for your own safety. Even the wise cannot see all ends.—Gandalf
    I would serve on a firing squad only if ordered to do so. I get no thrill out of the thought of killing a human being and it wouldn’t be an experience I would actively seek out.

Killing for meat is a completely different topic

For some people I would accept the firing squad duty without hesitation. For some others I do not know if I could do it. As for the hunters being closet sadists, yes there are many that are just that. Not all and I wouldn't say the majority but some just enjoy killing things.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    I figured I would have the former Marine on my side... Hmmmm

OK Doc, how would you characterize hunters?
    I will grant you that I have met some hunters who didnt like the actual moment of the kill but saw it as a means to an end. By & large though most hunters like the the kill, It an adrenaline thing IMO (at least with big game). Are they closet sadist or is it killing as limited to humans?
    I am referring to those who enjoy killing humans. I think you already know that too.

Of course those people who enjoy torturing animals, are very often those who like doing the same to people.

I am NOT referring to normal hunters when I talk about animal cruelty.

-Doc

I would as Wolfhunter indicated, serve on a squad if it were required as a civic duty like jury service is by law. I have no desire to kill another human, but I have no desire to see another kill and not face punishment for doing so. It's the basic reason I carry a firearm. It's strange to think in terms "to take life could save life", but it's true in some cases.

If the person to be executed were found guilty of killing a member of my family then without hesitation I would insist I be allowed to be on the squad and would require live ammunition be loaded in my weapon. I believe that should be allowed for any family member who suffers such a tragic loss as the senseless and unprovoked murder of a loved one.

Just 2 pennies, public rebuke is expected and tolerated.

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Quote Originally Posted by Bighouse Doc View Post
    I am referring to those who enjoy killing humans. I think you already know that too.

Of course those people who enjoy torturing animals, are very often those who like doing the same to people.

I am NOT referring to normal hunters when I talk about animal cruelty.

-Doc
    To Docs point, Torture is allowing the animal (or person) to die slowly by your hand with the intent of watching and taking pleasure in the fear that ensues and the slow ebbing away of life.

Taking the life of an animal to sustain your own life is not torture by that definition. The rush of the hunt and the pursuit of the kill for sustenance is exciting, but for the purpose of survival.

I think I got your point?

Duality of man...

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast