Front Sight Trip Report - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Front Sight Trip Report

Quote Originally Posted by GSDMan View Post
    I may miss something but here ya go.

Course, including Springfield XD45 and gear - 1200.00 It's gone up to 1500 now.
    Ammo, 650 rounds in my case - 400.00
    Boxed lunches from Beach Cafe - 70.00
    Money Orders for NV and FL permits - 220.00
    Round trip air fare - 300.00
    6 days at Saddle West - 320.00
    Car - 300.00
    Food and junk, give or take, about 200.00
    fee to transfer gun into MD - 40.00
    Total - 3050.00

That's for one person. 2 people can split a lot of it and we spent more than we really needed to also.

Sorry about not being clear about the gun. FS's offer includes a Springfield XD pistol in your choice of 9mm, 40 S&W, or 45ACP. It's the Service Model with 4" barrel and they can make substitutions if you want something else. John and I both got the XD45 and, since there was enough time before our course, we had them sent to our FFL's in MD ahead of time. Had we not done it this way, we would have gotten our guns when we arrived the first day but would have had to wait for them to be shipped to our FFL's after the class.

Jim
    Yeah, you can split a lot of this amongst 2-3 people and the box lunches are dang near enough to feed you for the entire day, so they're pretty cost-effective, too. I took a couple granola bars for breakfast, and spread the box lunch thru the afternoon. Often, we weren't all that hungry for supper (and I'm a BIG eater, all 310 lbs of me).
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

Thanks, Jim... Good numbers, Better to know those numbers
    Semper Fi

I want to go sooo bad! Now that I have tenants in my rental maybe I can start saving some pennies for later this year. I already have an XD 45 service and an XD9 Sub-compact so I could sell the one I get to help cover expenses.

Only problem I see is I'm VERY competitive. So I'd want to get the distinguished grad title. Which means I'd probably have to go several times! lol.
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by KimberPB View Post
    I want to go sooo bad! Now that I have tenants in my rental maybe I can start saving some pennies for later this year. I already have an XD 45 service and an XD9 Sub-compact so I could sell the one I get to help cover expenses.

Only problem I see is I'm VERY competitive. So I'd want to get the distinguished grad title. Which means I'd probably have to go several times! lol.
    I got a Graduate Level certificate the first time I went, much to my surprise, but for the life of me, I cannot make Distinguished Grad. In fact, my scores are going down. Not sure how that works, but I'm not the only one. Shot next to an LAPD cop the last time in the 2-day refresher course and he was crying about his scores going down, too. WTH? Overconfidence? Dont know...but it's definitely a challenge. The only people I've seen get Dist Grad was a SWAT instructor from Utah and the Range Master's wife (hmm?).
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

So do any of you guys that have gone to Front Sight have any pointers or drills that the ones of us that would like to attend could work on at our local range? I've taken several defensive shooting classes that involved engaging multi targets, shooting on the move, shoot while taking/finding cover, shooting from cover, ect but always looking for anything that may improve my skills. Or anything that would help me take more away from my time at Front Sight? For $2000 -$3000 total I want to be a sponge when I get there!!!!!
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

7. Pictures

Kimber, if you already have a gun for the course, don't bother with this offer. Get on their mailing list. Right now they offering certificates for any 2 day course for $200 ($1000 full price). 1500-200 . . . um . . . that's $1300 towards your trip right there!

I figured out the pictures. I think.

One of my hostage targets from 5 or 7 meters (I forget now).

Range 3

Part of Front Sight. Classroom and Pro Shop on the right, ranges on the left.

Shooting Steels

Red Rock Canyon from a distance.

Hoover Dam from the Arizona side.

Cactus, they never get old for an east coaster.

Jim

GSDMan reminds me: There are a lot of course certificates for sale on E-bay. Lifetime members get several course certificates that they can give away or sell. So, yeah, I reallly don't think anyone has to pay the full price (like I did), at least the first time they go.

Nice pics, btw, GSDMan...

KPB, I'd be reluctant to give you tips over the site as I could, in no way, adequately prepare you. No worries tho, the instructors are top-knotch, you'll be absorbing plenty. Took my wife the first time (she'd never fired any weapon of any kind) and 4 days later she's drawing from a concealed carry, and planting a double-tap to the "thorasic cavity" from 7m in about 1.5 seconds. The guys are good.

Thanks for the pics! Looks like a nice place.

You don't have much room for error on those hostage targets! I normally practice, from a low ready, at a distance of 10 -15 ft mainly because everything I've read says on average by the time you recognize a threat and engage it they'll be within 7 to 10 feet. I'll have to make up and try some of these hostage targets. I'll also have to get in some more practice out past 15 feet.
    - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by KimberPB View Post
    Thanks for the pics! Looks like a nice place.

You don't have much room for error on those hostage targets! I normally practice, from a low ready, at a distance of 10 -15 ft mainly because everything I've read says on average by the time you recognize a threat and engage it they'll be within 7 to 10 feet. I'll have to make up and try some of these hostage targets. I'll also have to get in some more practice out past 15 feet.
    OK, here's a tip (so I lied): practice from 5, 7, 10, 15 meters, double tap to COM under time, and then one "failure to stop" shot to the ocular-cranial cavity (note: this is NOT the head, but a rectangle roughly from top of eyes to just under the nose; head shot = no points, must be in OC cavity). There is a bit of shooting from 25m, but pretty minimal.

I get silhouettes from cheaperthandirt.com and draw in the thorasic cavity and the ocular-cranial cavity.

Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    OK, here's a tip (so I lied): practice from 5, 7, 10, 15 meters, double tap to COM under time, and then one "failure to stop" shot to the ocular-cranial cavity (note: this is NOT the head, but a rectangle roughly from top of eyes to just under the nose; head shot = no points, must be in OC cavity). There is a bit of shooting from 25m, but pretty minimal.

I get silhouettes from cheaperthandirt.com and draw in the thorasic cavity and the ocular-cranial cavity.
    Thanks JJFlash. Do you suggest taking the class with you primary carry gun or something along the lines of a service/tactical size pistol? I've taken several classes with my Kimber Ultra Carry II and it's always performed well but since the mag capacity is so low I always end up running one mag in the gun and 4 extra's on my hip. Is there a minimal round count per evolution?

Sorry for all the questions! lol.
    - Benjamin Franklin

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast