HOW MUCH PERSONAL GEAR is TOO MUCH??? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HOW MUCH PERSONAL GEAR is TOO MUCH???

wolfhunter Guest

Whatever grabs you. Personally I carry some bills (never ever any change), a credit card, drivers license and a keys for car and home. If I CC it is a kel tec P3AT--thats it. Cannot stand "stuff". All the more power to you guys who seem to load your entire house on your body everyday.

handgonnetoter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by festus View Post
    How much personal gear is too much? The other day I realized that my equipment load out was upwards of 7 lbs.
    4.83 for gun, holster and two spare mags in carrier
    .5 for pocket knife
    .5 for belt and cell phone holster
    .3 for tactical light
    now add in a cell phone, car keys, 2.00 dollars in loose change (no pennies) and you can see where this is headed.

I have conceded one spare magazine and now use a smaller mag carrier (that helps some)
    I agree with you. I find myself, as I get older, that I am trying to carry more and more every year. I ask myself when is enough, enough? I look back twenty years and see that I only occasionally even carried a snub nose .38, no knife, a wallet and a key chain with about two or three keys on it. Oh yea, no cell phone either. I watch old footage of WW2 soldiers fighting and then watch and see what troops lug around now and ask myself how did we ever win that war without all that stuff? I guess trying to be ready for anything is good, but wonder where to draw the line. I quit carrying two spare mags too. If I can't defend myself with 24 rounds, then I am in way over my head and had better hope the calvary shows up soon.

CC on my body and everything else in my (small) purse. Remember if you need to find it or remember where you stashed it, it just might as well be at home. Maybe it is time for you guys to get a "man bag" LOL (just kidding)

handgonnetoter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KathleenElsie View Post
    CC on my body and everything else in my (small) purse. Remember if you need to find it or remember where you stashed it, it just might as well be at home. Maybe it is time for you guys to get a "man bag" LOL (just kidding)
    I have though about getting a fanny pack. I am going to order one for my wife, maybe I'll order two.

Like anything else, it comes down to personal preference. I don't think that much stuff is too much, in fact, I would add a multi-tool to the list. Of the items in your list, I do everything I can to keep the money, keys, and phone off my body.

While at work, the ONLY thing in my pocket is an LCP, a pen in a breast pocket, and occasionally a tape measure clipped on my belt. All the other items listed (cell, flashlight, wallet, pocket knife, etc.) ride in a bag designed to hang from the headrest, down the back of the seat. Since I drive a truck, that bag usually sits between the seats, or on the passenger seat.

Outside of work and away from home, G33 OWB, LCP in pocket, 2 spare mags in paddle mag holster either in the other pocket or OWB. Wallet only goes in the back pocket, and the cell in a thigh pocket, while inside a store, otherwise they ride in the center console.

I still have a few voids to fill. I used to carry the little multi-tool that the NRA sent me, but the pouch that came with it was pretty cheesy, and it fell apart. In fact, so did the multi-tool. I've been eyeing up a Leatherman, or a Winchester knock-off, but I just haven't decided on one yet. I wouldn't mind carrying a little tactical flashlight, too. When I do finally get those items, I'm thinking about buying some Kydex blanks and making a single holster that holds both the light and the multi-tool.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by utimmer43 View Post
    Like anything else, it comes down to personal preference. I don't think that much stuff is too much, in fact, I would add a multi-tool to the list. Of the items in your list, I do everything I can to keep the money, keys, and phone off my body.

While at work, the ONLY thing in my pocket is an LCP, a pen in a breast pocket, and occasionally a tape measure clipped on my belt. All the other items listed (cell, flashlight, wallet, pocket knife, etc.) ride in a bag designed to hang from the headrest, down the back of the seat. Since I drive a truck, that bag usually sits between the seats, or on the passenger seat.

Outside of work and away from home, G33 OWB, LCP in pocket, 2 spare mags in paddle mag holster either in the other pocket or OWB. Wallet only goes in the back pocket, and the cell in a thigh pocket, while inside a store, otherwise they ride in the center console.

I still have a few voids to fill. I used to carry the little multi-tool that the NRA sent me, but the pouch that came with it was pretty cheesy, and it fell apart. In fact, so did the multi-tool. I've been eyeing up a Leatherman, or a Winchester knock-off, but I just haven't decided on one yet. I wouldn't mind carrying a little tactical flashlight, too. When I do finally get those items, I'm thinking about buying some Kydex blanks and making a single holster that holds both the light and the multi-tool.
    I have a SOG muilti tool but have not been carrying it much lately. Probably need to start though. Also I have a Strion, rechargeable flashlight that I carry a lot. I really like it because as I said I can recharge it. I have a DC and AC charger for it. It is pretty small and quite powerful.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by utimmer43 View Post
    Like anything else, it comes down to personal preference. I don't think that much stuff is too much, in fact, I would add a multi-tool to the list.
    A bit of advice on this one - don't go with the "bigger is better" school of thought on the multi-tool. I've got a Leatherman Surge and it is so [email protected] heavy I never wear it, plus the thing is too complicated (interchangable bits, etc). I've also got a Core that I like a lot more but even it is a little weighty. They have a new one coming out that is simply pliers, a knife and a screwdriver that I've considered.

My load is:
    -Wallet
    -Keys
    -Blackberry
    -Ruger LCP in strong-side pants pocket, or either a S&W Model 60 or a Kahr PM9 in an OWB holster
    -Pocket knife, if I remember it (typically a Kershaw Scalion but always something with a side clip). I carry this weak side if I've got the LCP as I don't like to carry anything else in that pocket.

Pretty much it unless Ms Tiger and I have the baby out, then add the diaper bag to the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by festus View Post
    How much personal gear is too much? The other day I realized that my equipment load out was upwards of 7 lbs.
    4.83 for gun, holster and two spare mags in carrier
    .5 for pocket knife
    .5 for belt and cell phone holster
    .3 for tactical light
    now add in a cell phone, car keys, 2.00 dollars in loose change (no pennies) and you can see where this is headed.

I have conceded one spare magazine and now use a smaller mag carrier (that helps some)
    The stuff I carry looks a lot like the list you have - but it doesn't weigh nearly as much. My billfold, keys, pocket knife, chap stick and belt only come to 1# 2 oz. I rarely have any change in my pocket. My cell and glasses usually ride in a shirt pocket and go about 4 oz. Except for the cell and glasses which have joined me late in life, the above have been "always" items for many, many years.

Kimber Compact, holster, spare mag w/ carrier and 15 rounds of ammo total out at 2# 14 oz. Sometimes I use a light weight snubbie in the pocket and a speed strip. Those weigh in at 17 oz.

Any extra ounces over the above and I would definately feel it. If I were to need to tote anywhere near the load you do I'd definately consider suspenders and/or a vest or fanny pack.

I'd say the trick to carrying extra weight is to keep it distributed about your body as much as possible.

How much gear is too much?

When the mule's legs give out.
    When they "Nudge. Shove. Shoot.",
    Don't retreat. Just reload.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast