.40 s&w

Thread: .40 s&w

Question .40 s&w

Hey all I have been looking around for a new pistol and just general shopping I have pretty much everything I need so just kind of window shopping it seems like of all the larger caliber guns not .22 .25 .380s and stuff
    It seems to me everyone has a cheap version of 40 S&W why is that. I have 2 40S&W's myself I have a CZ 40B and a high-point and they both fire well and the ammo does not seem to high in price and CZ is light weight and over as nice as any of my other guns ..why is the 40 S&SW it self so cheap I wonder?? I mean look for a .45 or .44 or .357 mag and a 40 will always be a lot cheaper..
    anyone notice this or know why this is?? or am I just losing my mind???

Not sure I quite understand the parameters of your comparison, but I'll take a stab at it...

If you are comparing .40S&W with calibers larger than that, then yes it will be cheaper. A .45 or 10 MM are typically built on larger, heavier frames than .40 or lower. Comparing it to .44 or .357 is almost apples and oranges, as those are revolvers. Still, it holds true that the frames for magnums are typically going to be built beefier.

Perhaps a better comparison would be to a 9MM or .357 SIG, where the pricing of all three are quite close.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by utimmer43 View Post
    Not sure I quite understand the parameters of your comparison, but I'll take a stab at it...

If you are comparing .40S&W with calibers larger than that, then yes it will be cheaper. A .45 or 10 MM are typically built on larger, heavier frames than .40 or lower. Comparing it to .44 or .357 is almost apples and oranges, as those are revolvers. Still, it holds true that the frames for magnums are typically going to be build beefier.

Perhaps a better comparison would be to a 9MM or .357 SIG, where the pricing of all three are quite close.
    Got ya but even in doing that say .357 sig or a 9mm I seem to keep coming up with a 40 being cheaper for the most part

If you want a semi auto;

Get yourself a quality 9mm. Glock, Springfield, H&K, S&W M&P,forget the sigma. A few others I may of missed.

You will have center fire accuracy, as well as firepower.

Go to wally world. When you eventually find the clerk, have him price out Winchester white box, 9mm, 32, 40, 357 Sig, 380, 45, 10mm

Pick out the best caliber for your budget.

Remember, 99.9999% of your targets will be paper, or beer cans.

Forget the caliber wars.

If you need to come heavy, buy a box of personal protection, or law enforcement only cartridges, in the caliber you chose.

If you have zero center fire pistols right now. If it were me, I would buy the 357 from Smith and Wesson.

This is where you learn to shoot. Not spray bullets down range.

No thats not the problem I do have plenty of center fire pistols as of today (I been looking on-line) I have 16 different center fire pistols I was just kind of making a statement that it seems like the 40 S&SW seems cheaper in compassion to a lot of other pistols. Like here is what I'm talking about
    Smith and Wesson SD40 40 S&W Tritium Sight $378.99
    Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm $539.99
    Now is the 9mm that much better of a weapon or is the .40 s&w that much less of a weapon?
    Thats what I'm taking about why so much cheaper and thats just one item I have seen it a lot.
    those prices are from Guns - Online Gun Auction - Guns at GunBroker.com and I understand that prices will be be different from place to place.
    it just seems like everything I look at as far a .357 sig, 9mm .40 s&w the .40 is always a lot cheaper I was just wondering is all?

Again, apples to oranges. Instead of comparing a SD to a M&P, compare an M&P to an M&P. Or a Sigma to a Sigma. Or a Glock to a Glock. The 9MM version of each of those are practically the same price as their .40 counterparts.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson