CCW Holder shot by LVMPD - Justified????? - Page 4
Page 4 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 519

Thread: CCW Holder shot by LVMPD - Justified?????

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    26

    Be Smart

    I agree with Boomer and Gunsite. Excellent advice from Gunsite. When a police officer gives you instructions, follow them to the letter. Do not second guess them. This should definitely be imprinted on everyones eyelids so that it is a constant reminder.

    We may never know what the final story is here, but I hope that you keep us all informed of the final outcome of this.

    A valuable lesson to us all. Be vigilent, be smart, stay alive.

  2.   
  3. This has been speculated and may not be the case in this particular situation, but what if you get conflicting instructions from LE? What if you come walking out of a store, CC weapons on you, but holstered. You have nothing in your hand except what you purchased and a receipt. You meet up with three LEOs drawn down on you outside screaming different commands? Maybe one saying, "Get down!! Get Down!!" one saying,” Stop!! Don’t move!!” and one saying,” Drop your weapon!!!” Compliance isn’t as cut and dried at that point and it takes knowing what action will render the best results. We should all think about how to best handle ourselves in this scenario because it is very likely this could happen. Especially with rookies involved who may react on pure adrenaline versus years of training and experience. I know exactly what I would do in this situation, but it involves disobeying one of the officer's commands.

  4. #33
    wolfhunter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dswickard View Post
    I agree with Boomer and Gunsite. Excellent advice from Gunsite. When a police officer gives you instructions, follow them to the letter. Do not second guess them. This should definitely be imprinted on everyones eyelids so that it is a constant reminder.
    OOOH, look a voluntary serf. "The police are the authority, just shut up and do what they tell you. Give them your guns and your printing equipment. The State-authorized worship service scheduled is posted in town square and you are directed to attend."

  5. #34
    As much as I think the Police didnt give enough time before shooting, I also feel this guy probably had an ego. Like many have said, when confronted by Police with guns drawn on you, your first action should be hands high. I hate to say it but why did he go and try to show the Police he had a gun? I was in the Army 21 years and have been around a lot of West Pointers. They do have big Ego's. She should have known not to challenge the police in any manner. I also teach this in my CCW Classed. If the Officers feel they are threatened just like a CCW holder is justified in shooting a bad guy if he fears for his life then the Police are the same way.

    If you as a CCW holder knows the person is carrying a weapon and reaches for that weapon, what would you do? Would you fear for your own life and family if they are present? I know I would. If you wait and see what he will do with the weapon then I may be to late. You just never know. We could what if this all day. I understand the officer are held to a higher standard but when feeling threatend I think they will act the same as a CCW holder. Just my thoughts and .02
    NRA Certified Instructor
    US Army Retired
    Prior Federal Police Officer Instructor

  6. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by GETMRUTN View Post
    As much as I think the Police didnt give enough time before shooting, I also feel this guy probably had an ego. Like many have said, when confronted by Police with guns drawn on you, your first action should be hands high. I hate to say it but why did he go and try to show the Police he had a gun? I was in the Army 21 years and have been around a lot of West Pointers. They do have big Ego's. She should have known not to challenge the police in any manner. I also teach this in my CCW Classed. If the Officers feel they are threatened just like a CCW holder is justified in shooting a bad guy if he fears for his life then the Police are the same way.

    If you as a CCW holder knows the person is carrying a weapon and reaches for that weapon, what would you do? Would you fear for your own life and family if they are present? I know I would. If you wait and see what he will do with the weapon then I may be to late. You just never know. We could what if this all day. I understand the officer are held to a higher standard but when feeling threatend I think they will act the same as a CCW holder. Just my thoughts and .02
    I do agree with your statement where you say they fear for their life and family...I think anyone would and thats a fact in my book. After reading all the news articles on this. There is too much "he had the weapon" "he didn't have the weapon", personally, I feel the cops were in the wrong. Thats my opinion from everything I read. However with that being said, I am not one to judge the job of a LEO because I am not one. In any job, there are times where decisions need to be made quick and fast, in this field, sometimes when that happens a life is lost. The camera's will tell the story. If they are wrong then they should pay for what they did. If the CCW holder was in the wrong, he paid for it with his life. My prayers go out to the family of the CCW holder, losing a child is never easy no matter what the circumstance.
    "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"

  7. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by capo2186 View Post
    I do agree with your statement where you say they fear for their life and family...I think anyone would and thats a fact in my book. After reading all the news articles on this. There is too much "he had the weapon" "he didn't have the weapon", personally, I feel the cops were in the wrong. Thats my opinion from everything I read. However with that being said, I am not one to judge the job of a LEO because I am not one. In any job, there are times where decisions need to be made quick and fast, in this field, sometimes when that happens a life is lost. The camera's will tell the story. If they are wrong then they should pay for what they did. If the CCW holder was in the wrong, he paid for it with his life. My prayers go out to the family of the CCW holder, losing a child is never easy no matter what the circumstance.
    I to feel that the officers should pay for their actions if the camera tells the story. When I said the Officers are held to a higher standard, they should wait a little longer to see what exactly what his intentions were. I dont feel he had to pay for it with his life. But once again, the camera doesnt lie. That one piece of evidence will tell the whole story, witnesses or not. If it shows he clearly went for his waistband, then the officers were justified. If not then they should pay for it. with his background he should have know to follow the commands of the officers. I know I would. I would probably even beat them to it. Then deal with it afterwards.
    NRA Certified Instructor
    US Army Retired
    Prior Federal Police Officer Instructor

  8. #37
    This is another instance of reality. The reality is that people are alarmed by citizens carrying guns. It doesn't matter how frequently or infrequently they see them, people are always going to be alarmed. The speculation by forum members is irrelevant in determining the acutal scenario because none of us were there. The reality of the situation is that carrying a gun in a place such as costco, with a lot of people milling around, is going to make people uneasy. A person is smart, people are stupid, panicky, and quick to assumptions. I'm not saying it is this individual's fault for exercising his right, I just believe that this situation is a prime example of the dangers of carrying a weapon on a daily basis into a situation where the sight of a loaded gun does more harm than good. IMHO leave the concealed/open carrying for going out at night with your spouse/significant other into a city while grabbing dinner. I mean really, COSTCO?

  9. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Pewbs View Post
    This is another instance of reality. The reality is that people are alarmed by citizens carrying guns. It doesn't matter how frequently or infrequently they see them, people are always going to be alarmed. The speculation by forum members is irrelevant in determining the acutal scenario because none of us were there. The reality of the situation is that carrying a gun in a place such as costco, with a lot of people milling around, is going to make people uneasy. A person is smart, people are stupid, panicky, and quick to assumptions. I'm not saying it is this individual's fault for exercising his right, I just believe that this situation is a prime example of the dangers of carrying a weapon on a daily basis into a situation where the sight of a loaded gun does more harm than good. IMHO leave the concealed/open carrying for going out at night with your spouse/significant other into a city while grabbing dinner. I mean really, COSTCO?
    Things happen anywhere, why don't you go talk to people who are victim of mall shootings, school shootings, office building shootings. So just because its broad daylight means nothing can happen? So your telling me I can only defend my life at night? I would much rather be able to respond back with a weapon if attacked than lay on the floor and pray the shooter doesn't aim at me. Why don't you watch this video and then tell me that only things happen at night. YouTube - Suzanna Gratia Hupp explains meaning of 2nd Amendment!.

    Wait...let me guess...its the gun's fault right?

    Sheeple....
    "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"

  10. There have been many outstanding posts in regards to this matter, I am glad I started this thread. If nothing else it reminds of of our responsibilties that go along with our CCW. Again I am not trying to defend the actions of either side just sharing the results of a recent incident that ended unfortunately. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family of the deceased . I am taking in all the input from forum members like a sponge. I know exactly what I would do in this situation and would probablly beat the cops to thier commands. I am going to follow and share this particular incident to the end. My wife and I both have had encounters with LVMPD while carrying and have had no issues with metro, almost like they are pretty used to it. I hope that the guy did'nt have a West Point officer ego, I am retired enlisted and yes I have seen the Egos. My dad was a LEO both military and civilian and believes that it was the CCW holders ego. Thats just his thoughts. I will keep posting as I get the info.
    Not related to the incident but direct correlation investigation into gun related calls by LVMPD;
    http://www.8newsnow.com/Global/story.asp?S=12836486
    Last edited by danfordman; 07-20-2010 at 03:19 PM. Reason: add link

  11. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by capo2186 View Post
    Things happen anywhere, why don't you go talk to people who are victim of mall shootings, school shootings, office building shootings. So just because its broad daylight means nothing can happen? So your telling me I can only defend my life at night? I would much rather be able to respond back with a weapon if attacked than lay on the floor and pray the shooter doesn't aim at me. Why don't you watch this video and then tell me that only things happen at night. YouTube - Suzanna Gratia Hupp explains meaning of 2nd Amendment!.

    Wait...let me guess...its the gun's fault right?

    Sheeple....
    You are never going to have to use your firearm. Get over it GI JOE

    Another erroneous instance. Keep using one instance at a time as an example because if you put all 10 of these incidents in one post you have run out of examples.

Page 4 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Nevada: CCW Holder Call To Action!
    By Bohemian in forum Politics and News
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-17-2010, 12:52 PM
  2. CCW Holder Fired By Pizza Hut
    By Bohemian in forum Politics and News
    Replies: 100
    Last Post: 10-07-2008, 12:29 PM
  3. Gunman killed in robbery by CCW Holder
    By {TEX}Hawaii(( in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-01-2008, 03:30 AM
  4. Bomber/Robber vs. CCW Holder
    By Bohemian in forum Politics and News
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-22-2008, 01:28 PM
  5. CCW and crime rates in urban areas
    By tattedupboy in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-16-2008, 12:45 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast