CCW Holder shot by LVMPD - Justified????? - Page 48
Page 48 of 52 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast

Thread: CCW Holder shot by LVMPD - Justified?????

Quote Originally Posted by ticktwrter View Post
    How many of you desk jockeys have ever had to use deadly force? How many of you have ever had to make such a life altering decision in a matter of seconds only to have people second guess every decision made? Do cops ever make mistakes? Heck yes! We are only human and make them just as you all make them. Has anyone thought that maybe the draw of the holstered weapon was a mistake and he only intended to draw the gun and the holster came out with it by mistake?
    I appreciate your position, and to answer your initial questions, been there done that... been under the microscope myself and as part of a team but (military based) fortunately they came out favorably...

I retired from the USMC in 2007 after 27+ years, after teams last disagreement with some ... let's just call them "Devout Muslims"... and my body said you're getting too old for this *****... as the green zone/stateside docs concurred... I had my share of b.s., but I don't have the temperament to be a policemen, and public service has a lot more politically correct b.s. to deal with then the military does...
    so kudos to those that do have the intestinal fortitude to deal with that part of the job...

IMHO...
    Nobody is disagreeing that cops are human like everybody else...
    what we are saying (at least my main point) is the lack of any corroborating video or audio, no polygraphs, and a biased Nevada coroner's inquest system... stinks of a cover up by at least the cops involved/lvmpd/Costco/Sherriff Doug Gillespie

"The people never give up their liberties, but under some delusion." - Edmund Burke

At the end of the day, pretty simple really:

Lard ass is still alive. Dumb ass is dead.

Go figure.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Bohemian View Post
    I appreciate your position, and to answer your initial questions, been there done that... been under the microscope myself and as part of a team but (military based) fortunately they came out favorably...

I retired from the USMC in 2007 after 27+ years, after teams last disagreement with some ... let's just call them "Devout Muslims"... and my body said you're getting too old for this *****... as the green zone/stateside docs concurred... I had my share of b.s., but I don't have the temperament to be a policemen, and public service has a lot more politically correct b.s. to deal with then the military does...
    so kudos to those that do have the intestinal fortitude to deal with that part of the job...

IMHO...
    Nobody is disagreeing that cops are human like everybody else...
    what we are saying (at least my main point) is the lack of any corroborating video or audio, no polygraphs, and a biased Nevada coroner's inquest system... stinks of a cover up by at least the cops involved/lvmpd/Costco/Sherriff DoIug Gillespie

Thanks for both your service to your country and a reasoned response. At least you don't sound like a sack job

Blog Entries
    After reading the blog linked to earlier, the main thing that sticks in my mind is that the guy appears to have pointed his weapon at the officer.
    If that's what happened, I think the officer was justified.

Whether the weapon was holstered doesn't come into play (in my opinion) because I'm not sure that any of us could recognize whether the gun was holstered or not under those circumstances.

I'm generally distrustful of police but if I understand what happened correctly, I have to give the officers the benefit of the doubt on this one.
    Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohemian View Post
    what we are saying (at least my main point) is the lack of any corroborating video or audio, no polygraphs, and a biased Nevada coroner's inquest system... stinks of a cover up by at least the cops involved.
    +1.

This is the biggest shellac job of a modern day police force I've seen yet. The worst part are the people who believe in it. Says a lot for our nations state of mind. That is presuming they in fact have one. Bill T.

Quote Originally Posted by kerb View Post
    After reading the blog linked to earlier, the main thing that sticks in my mind is that the guy appears to have pointed his weapon at the officer.
    If that's what happened, I think the officer was justified.

Whether the weapon was holstered doesn't come into play (in my opinion) because I'm not sure that any of us could recognize whether the gun was holstered or not under those circumstances.

I'm generally distrustful of police but if I understand what happened correctly, I have to give the officers the benefit of the doubt on this one.
    As C&L has said there is enough of BS and FUD being spread around on this case to cover a small country or maybe even a medium one. Some of it from both sides. The one thing that I came away from after reading that BLOG was that there was no doubt that he pulled a holstered gun and that was why he was shot. Supposedly there are some that say that he didn't pull it but they are waiting for the civil trial to give their story so it can't be torn apart so easily. As for Officer Butterball he was an honorably discharged U S Marine. We can't say the same for the deceased. As you say if you have to examine every gun that is pulled to identify the details of it then you aren't going to last long.

Quote Originally Posted by ticktwrter View Post
    How many of you desk jockeys have ever had to use deadly force? How many of you have ever had to make such a life altering decision in a matter of seconds only to have people second guess every decision made? Do cops ever make mistakes? Heck yes! We are only human and make them just as you all make them. Has anyone thought that maybe the draw of the holstered weapon was a mistake and he only intended to draw the gun and the holster came out with it by mistake?
    There are mistakes, and there are mistakes. When you make a mistake and someone dies, and people don't do due diligence to investigate, that looks more like murder than a justifiable homicide. A guy with a gun out gets shot, it could be self-defense. A guy gets shot with his gun in the holster, that's not justifiable, especially the shots from the back.

Just to head off "you don't like cops." responses, My father was a cop, most of my friends are cops, firefighters, and paramedics. I usually give the cops the benefit of the doubt, but this shooting stinks, on ice.
    War to the Knife, Knife to the hilt.
    If we don't want to live in a trashy area, we all have to be willing to help pick up the trash.

FATAL SHOOTING INVOLVING OFFICERS: Family sues Las Vegas police, Costco - News - ReviewJournal.com

Who'd have thunk it?

Only in America. Drug addled man pulls gun on cops who shoot him. Now family stands to get rich off Costco, of all people, plus the taxpayers.

Naturally, the father makes the obligatory remark about "not suing for the money"

I wonder if the girlfriend will testify, now that money is in play. I want to know why she was fired from the dr she worked for
    http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2010...es-several-do/

Funny how Scott obtained meds from the girlfriends dr, but was not a patient of his. Another article stated she had access to the prescriptions. I want to know what that is about.

One thing is for sure, everybody involved is holding cards they're not showing.
    War to the Knife, Knife to the hilt.
    If we don't want to live in a trashy area, we all have to be willing to help pick up the trash.

Page 48 of 52 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast