Is it safe for the hammer to be cocked? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it safe for the hammer to be cocked?

1. DA, hammer down, safety off is the way I would carry it. What benefit is there of carrying it cocked? In the heat of the real moment, with the adrenaline going I really don't think a person will notice the difference between DA and SA.

wecome back Tat, hope everything is going better now.
    doing what is popular is not always right and doing what is right is not always popular

I do not own an Ruger's (in fact I dont think I haver ever even shot any of the P series) but I used to carry a 5906 which has the same basic mechanics.

I would carry it with the hammer down & safety off.
    Never argue with an idiot. First they drag you down to their level then they beat you with experience!

hey tat long time. how's your health?

as others have already posted, add another to the side that says carrying cocked with no safety just doesn't sound like a good idea. I would just carry hammer down round chambered and safety off, and I do!
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    Hello, fellow gun owners! Long time no see! Miss me?

Anyway, I'm posting this thread because I need a question answered. I just discovered that Blackhawk makes a Serpa holster for the Ruger P95, which happens to be one of my 2 primary carry guns today. Normally, I carry IWB with the safety off (the safety is too difficult to disengage with my thumb, and besides, the double action of the first trigger pull is safety enough). I like how the gun fits in the Serpa holster and plan to carry the P95 in it, also with the safety off. I'm contemplating carrying not just with the safety off, but also with the hammer cocked. My question is, is this safe? I want to believe it is, because as long as it's tightly holstered, nothing is coming in contact with the trigger. Am I right? Or should I just leave the hammer uncocked? Any and all advice is welcome.
    Welcome back... Hope all is well...

Sorry not familiar with the firearm. Some advice and just a "good to see a post from ya".
    When I carry the Colt 1911 it's cocked with the safety on. I've never had a good feeling about something ready to fire with the hammer back and no safety on. Just me.

2 Pennies...

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

What does the user manual say? Absent recommendations in the user manual, I'd contact the manufacturer, preferably by email, as they should be most familiar with the design and operation of the firearm.

Consistency is critical when using firearms. Carry the gun in the same condition regardless of the method of carry. A split second lapse at a critical moment could mean the difference between life and death. Whatever condition and method you choose to carry, be sure that it's safe.

Personally, I'd carry with the hammer down and safety engaged. I'd train until I'm able to disengage the safety and squeeze off a round in a time frame that I'm comfortable.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    What does the user manual say? Absent recommendations in the user manual, I'd contact the manufacturer, preferably by email, as they should be most familiar with the design and operation of the firearm.

Consistency is critical when using firearms. Carry the gun in the same condition regardless of the method of carry. A split second lapse at a critical moment could mean the difference between life and death. Whatever condition and method you choose to carry, be sure that it's safe.

Personally, I'd carry with the hammer down and safety engaged. I'd train until I'm able to disengage the safety and squeeze off a round in a time frame that I'm comfortable.

gf

Glad to have you back tat. I am looking forward o hearing more from you.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Hey Tatted! It has been way to long! Welcome back. Hope the recovery has been going well.

Not much more to add then what everyone else said. I carry my Kimber cocked and locked. If I had a Sig that was DA/SA I'd carry it chambered and decocked.
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

10. Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    Hello, fellow gun owners! Long time no see! Miss me?

Anyway, I'm posting this thread because I need a question answered. I just discovered that Blackhawk makes a Serpa holster for the Ruger P95, which happens to be one of my 2 primary carry guns today. Normally, I carry IWB with the safety off (the safety is too difficult to disengage with my thumb, and besides, the double action of the first trigger pull is safety enough). I like how the gun fits in the Serpa holster and plan to carry the P95 in it, also with the safety off. I'm contemplating carrying not just with the safety off, but also with the hammer cocked. My question is, is this safe? I want to believe it is, because as long as it's tightly holstered, nothing is coming in contact with the trigger. Am I right? Or should I just leave the hammer uncocked? Any and all advice is welcome.
    In my experience it takes the same time to draw , manually disengage the safe and bang vs, draw, rack and bang, time yourself is going to take the same time.

MOst people like to have the hammer coked like they are in a war zone.

If you really want to deliver fast get a revolver, which is favored in close combat situations

11. Quote Originally Posted by mannybullets View Post
    In my experience it takes the same time to draw , manually disengage the safe and bang vs, draw, rack and bang, time yourself is going to take the same time.

MOst people like to have the hammer coked like they are in a war zone.

If you really want to deliver fast get a revolver, which is favored in close combat situations
    You don't seem to have the understanding that the Ruger P95 is a DA/SA pistol. The P95 can be carried exactly like a revolver - hammer down, safety off, round chambered. Draw the gun from the holster, pull the trigger and it goes bang - simple as that. A revolver would be cutting the rounds carried loaded and ready to go by at least half.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast