Is it safe for the hammer to be cocked?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it safe for the hammer to be cocked?

Is it safe for the hammer to be cocked?

Hello, fellow gun owners! Long time no see! Miss me?

Anyway, I'm posting this thread because I need a question answered. I just discovered that Blackhawk makes a Serpa holster for the Ruger P95, which happens to be one of my 2 primary carry guns today. Normally, I carry IWB with the safety off (the safety is too difficult to disengage with my thumb, and besides, the double action of the first trigger pull is safety enough). I like how the gun fits in the Serpa holster and plan to carry the P95 in it, also with the safety off. I'm contemplating carrying not just with the safety off, but also with the hammer cocked. My question is, is this safe? I want to believe it is, because as long as it's tightly holstered, nothing is coming in contact with the trigger. Am I right? Or should I just leave the hammer uncocked? Any and all advice is welcome.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

wolfhunter Guest
    Hey, Tat!!! Long time no see! Hope you've recovered.

I'm going to have to say that carrying a cocked weapon with the safety off isn't a good idea. You said you rely on the long double-action trigger pull when you carry IWB, but if you carry with the safety off AND the hammer cocked, what are you relying on for a safety? You should know that things sometimes happen that are outside the owners control.

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post

Anyway, I'm posting this thread because I need a question answered. I just discovered that Blackhawk makes a Serpa holster for the Ruger P95, which happens to be one of my 2 primary carry guns today. Normally, I carry IWB with the safety off (the safety is too difficult to disengage with my thumb, and besides, the double action of the first trigger pull is safety enough). I like how the gun fits in the Serpa holster and plan to carry the P95 in it, also with the safety off. I'm contemplating carrying not just with the safety off, but also with the hammer cocked. My question is, is this safe? I want to believe it is, because as long as it's tightly holstered, nothing is coming in contact with the trigger. Am I right? Or should I just leave the hammer uncocked? Any and all advice is welcome.
    I wouldn't carry that gun cocked in single action mode. 1911s are designed to be carried "cocked & locked" because of the safeties. I have a sig p220 equinox and would never carry it in single actioin.

The P series are short recoil-operated, locked breech semi-automatic pistols. They utilize a SIG P220 type locking system, and a 1911 style tilting barrel. The P series were made with a traditional double action/single action (DA/SA), or double action only (DAO) trigger mechanism.

The standard models have an ambidextrous manual safety/decocker located on the slide; when the safety lever is lowered to the safe position, the firing pin is cammed into the slide away from the hammer, the trigger is disconnected from the sear and the hammer is decocked. The decocker models have no manual safety; instead, when the lever is lowered it only cams the firing pin into the slide and drops the hammer, when the lever is released it springs back to the normal position. The DAO models have no manual safety or decocker. All models feature an automatic firing pin safety that blocks the firing pin unless the trigger is pulled fully rearward.

I assume you have DA/SA with a de-cocker.
    IMO, chamber a round. Hit the de-cocker. Holster.
    The first shot will be DA. All the rest will be SA.
    To unload,-remove magazine. Cycle action.
    If I were you I would not carry this pistol with the hammer cocked, unless you have the safety enganged.
    (Condition One)
    If I were to carry this pistol, it would be in DA mode with the hammer down, and safety off.

After reading what you guys have had to say, I think it's best to carry the same way in the Serpa as I do in the IWB: round chambered, safety not on, and hammer not cocked.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

Great to "See" you again! Welcome back!

I'd carry that Ruger uncocked because of the DA/SA. I was pretty used to carrying my old Beretta that way in a Supra.
    Semper Fi

Exclamation Welcome back TAT!!!!!!

Welcome back TAT...Glad to see you!
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Talking Hey, Tatters, me lad!

Glad to see you recovered enough to be carrying again. Any progress on your case?
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

10. [QUOTE=tattedupboy;148852]After reading what you guys have had to say, I think it's best to carry the same way in the Serpa as I do in the IWB: round chambered, safety not on, and hammer not cocked.[/QUOTE

Hammer cocked only if its a 1911. Remember a shot in the femural artery is sure death.

Quote Originally Posted by ricardo900 View Post
    1911s are designed to be carried "cocked & locked" because of the safeties.
    Actually, I believe that a 1911 is designed to be safely carried cocked and unlocked due to the presence of the grip safety...the pistol "can't" shoot unless the shooter has a proper grip. DO, however, make it a practice to keep your finger out of the trigger guard until you're ready to let loose!

I put "can't" in quotes because you always have to allow room for the lowest common denominator - the schmeckle who'll figure out a way to put a .45 caliber hole in his own leg despite all safeties.

Don't know much about the pistol in question - anything, actually - but I do know the 1911.
    NRA Life; GOA Life; CCRKBA Life; Trustee, NJCSD; F&AM: 32 & KT
    The Only Answer to a Bad Guy with a Gun - Is a Good Guy with a Gun!
    When Seconds Count...The Police are only MINUTES Away!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast