good round for apartment living - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: good round for apartment living

I realize you cannot carry one around but this topic is apartment/house living, and I see your testing handgun ammo, but something you all may want to consider, a 12 gauge pump shotgun, with the shortest (legal) barrel possable, loaded with #4 buckshot, 10 ft away the pellets barely made it thru 2 sheets of drywall, and one round gives you 25 or 30 projectiles, so shot placement is not as critical, thats if the BG is still around after he hears the gun rack in a round, my wife and I went to our local range a few months back and I brought the shot gun, after shooting the target with our usual stuff, (handguns) well over 100 rds, the target was full of holes but still there intact hanging on the rack, I hit it with 5 rounds with the shotgun what was left of the target was confetti floating in the air, this was all at 8 or 9 yds away

I'd suggest you pattern the shotgun. At 10 feet, you might be surprised at how small the pattern is. At 8 or 9 yards....24 or 27 feet is a different story. In an apartment, you may not be able to get a 25 foot shot to allow the pellets to spread...

Just sayin'
    Only when our arms are sufficient, without doubt, can we be certain, without doubt, that they will never be employed....... John F. Kennedy
    Life Member NRA Life Member Marine Corps League

Quote Originally Posted by liquidr1 View Post
    Hey guys

Im new to concealed carry. Taking my class on august 7th.

My question is what is a good .40 cal round that has good stopping ability and expands well enough but wont go through the bad guy and into the next apartment. I have a glock 27.

any advice is much apreciated.
    I'm sorry my manners suck, welcome and good luck with your permit class, something you may want to do if you plan on useing your 27 in your class qualifying, see if you can find some ammo thats not to strong, and practice with it, I also have a G-27 and its a great weapon, but it does have strong muzzel flip, not to bad just something to get used to

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketgeezer View Post
    I realize you cannot carry one around but this topic is apartment/house living, and I see your testing handgun ammo, but something you all may want to consider, a 12 gauge pump shotgun, with the shortest (legal) barrel possable, loaded with #4 buckshot, 10 ft away the pellets barely made it thru 2 sheets of drywall, and one round gives you 25 or 30 projectiles, so shot placement is not as critical, thats if the BG is still around after he hears the gun rack in a round, my wife and I went to our local range a few months back and I brought the shot gun, after shooting the target with our usual stuff, (handguns) well over 100 rds, the target was full of holes but still there intact hanging on the rack, I hit it with 5 rounds with the shotgun what was left of the target was confetti floating in the air, this was all at 8 or 9 yds away
    +1 Shotguns are always an excellent choice for apartment living. I also like a 22 revolver with snake shot in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    I'd suggest you pattern the shotgun. At 10 feet, you might be surprised at how small the pattern is. At 8 or 9 yards....24 or 27 feet is a different story. In an apartment, you may not be able to get a 25 foot shot to allow the pellets to spread...

Just sayin'
    Its funny you mention that because I have tested it some, with 00 or 000 buck, at the 3 yd line the pattern was maybe softball size, at 10 yds it stayed in a pie plate at 15 yds it pretty much filled the torso size target full of holes, but the smaller #4 spread a bunch sooner, now this is with a 18 in barrel gun, I was useing Wally World ammo, and the testing was not real sientific, did not test the other shotguns as they were to long to consider for use in the home, I know about opinions LOL, but I think a shotgun make a better home defence weapon than a pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketgeezer View Post
    I'm sorry my manners suck, welcome and good luck with your permit class, something you may want to do if you plan on useing your 27 in your class qualifying, see if you can find some ammo thats not to strong, and practice with it, I also have a G-27 and its a great weapon, but it does have strong muzzel flip, not to bad just something to get used to
    i already qualified last week for the class with it. Im good with it. Hit all 50 rounds in the center.

after doing some research i think im going to try somd Hornady Critical Defense .40. Lots of good reviews on it.

after doing some research i think im going to try somd Hornady Critical Defense .40. Lots of good reviews on it.
    Good job on the qaulifying, and I have some Hornady CD ammo, shoots great but fairly pricey, don't shoot it much, any good name hollow point will make a fair self defence ammo, but going back to the original post in your apartment keep it loaded with something that will not go thru walls and still be leathal

+1 for the Critical Defense...

I load the 165gr .40S&W CD in my compact. They had the best consistency for expansion. I load the 125gr 357Mag CD for the revolver. The 45Auto is still on back order here...

Another round I load is the Winchester Supreme Elite PDX1 Bonded 40S&W 165gr. It did well in expansion testing and the FBI has chosen this round to carry.. I chose the 165gr for lighter recoil and faster velocity from the 3.5" barrel. The PDX1 is designed to penetrate barriers however, so it would not be good for the apartment loading, just for carry...

YouTube - Winchester .40 S&W 180 gr PDX1 Supreme Elite Bonded JHP

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Quote Originally Posted by 6shootercarry View Post
    Another round I load is the Winchester Supreme Elite PDX1 Bonded 40S&W 165gr. It did well in expansion testing and the FBI has chosen this round to carry.. I chose the 165gr for lighter recoil and faster velocity from the 3.5" barrel. The PDX1 is designed to penetrate barriers however, so it would not be good for the apartment loading, just for carry...

Peace...
    Good video Thanks 6SC...
    Semper Fi

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast