Reloading Powders
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reloading Powders

1. Reloading Powders

Could we please have a powder discussion...

What do we all use for reloading. I have been using 231 up until today. Today I bought a bottle of WST to see how that works.
    Retired US Army Medic
    Proud Husband, Dad and Christian
    www.nationofshooters.com

Well depends

I use 231, Unique & bullseye in most of my pistols when shooting cast bullets. Depends on which cal & bullet style as to which one is used.

I use 296 & 4227 in my magnums (mainly 41 & 44)

Now if we talking rifle cals well then we are really opening a can of worms
    Never argue with an idiot. First they drag you down to their level then they beat you with experience!

4. well... I've been reloading 9mm 125 RN and .45 cal 200 semi- wad. all lead.
    Retired US Army Medic
    www.nationofshooters.com

231 is hard to beat. Its great all around low pressure powder. If you arent getting the accuracy you would like try Unique or Bullseye. I use unique in copious amounts, I buy it in 8lb cans & still seem to buy it more often then others in single 1lb cans.
    Never argue with an idiot. First they drag you down to their level then they beat you with experience!

6. thats exactly the problem that Im having. Accuracy.
    Retired US Army Medic
    www.nationofshooters.com

wolfhunter Guest
    I use 55.5 gr. of H4350 for 7mm RemMag 154 gr. soft points

8. Quote Originally Posted by wolfhunter View Post
    I use 55.5 gr. of H4350 for 7mm RemMag 154 gr. soft points
    That "H" powder, is that a Winchester product?
    Retired US Army Medic
    www.nationofshooters.com

Quote Originally Posted by kn1080 View Post
    Could we please have a powder discussion...

What do we all use for reloading. I have been using 231 up until today. Today I bought a bottle of WST to see how that works.
    I use 231 for .45 ACP, Bullseye and Unique for target loads in .44 magnum and 2400 for high power loads in .44 magnum.

Quote Originally Posted by kn1080 View Post
    thats exactly the problem that Im having. Accuracy.
    Are you using a good taper crimp? 231 is a ball powder so it isnt as touchy when it comes to crimp. Unique is a flake powder & does need a good crimp to burn completely & achieve good accuracy.

Sounds like its time to do some load development. It is a process that I truly enjoy most of the time & hate with a vengance some of the time.

Here is "my" process to come up with a good handload. It doesnt matter rifle or pistol it all works the same.

Start with your "ideal" solution meaning case, primer, powder & bullet that you really want to use. Why start there? Well if you stumble on the solution then there is little need to keep going
    Next have an attainable goal (your glock 19 isnt going to shoot 1in groups at 25yds no matter what you do).

Now lets make some bullets. Make 3 batch's of 5 rounds. 1st batch will be the minimum listed load. Next batch smack dab in the middle last one max published (there is little need to worry about pressure if you are using a current reloading manuals max load as they have been throughly gone over by lawyers).

Start a notebook & write all relevant load info on each loading in the book. I take it a step farther & color code. I use a permanent marker & color each primer & use the same color in my book that way I never get them mixed up.

Next shoot them off a solid rest at separate targets. Measure the groups & tabulate data.

If every group it terrible then this load will not yeild fruit. Time to change something be it powder primer or bullet.
    If one of the groups is really good then you just need to zero in on it. With subsequent testing go up or down 2 tenths of a grain & go back to the range.

With some perseverance you should be able to come up with a great handload.

In some cases you can not come up with a load that shoots well... Time to sell the gun! Even if its a type style whatever that you REALLY like. If it doesnt shoot well you wont shoot it & then whats the point?

Let me know if you have any questions or need additional help.

Exclamation I use the following for .308Win

IMR4064
    Hodgdon 4064
    Varget
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast