CCW Class in OH

Thread: CCW Class in OH

CCW Class in OH

Ok, After reading about the Ohio requirements in regards to what is accepted to obtain your CCW, please help me with this one. When it refers to veterans and retired personel, would this apply to me if say I am retired army? Would I be able to apply for my OH CCW with proof that I retired Army? Or will I still need to show my certificate for CCW or even my certificate from my Police Academy? I am a certified NRA Instructor for the CCW, but I obtained my current CCW in WV off of my Police Creds. I dont have a CCW certificate to use. Doesnt make any sense that I am an Instructor for the state of OH but would still have to take a CCW class to get my permit. Kinda strange situation I guess.
    NRA Certified Instructor
    US Army Retired
    Prior Federal Police Officer Instructor

IF it is anything like VA...your DD214 from retirement should be sufficient.

I hoping that my DD214 will be good enough. I guess I will have to wait and see when my 45 days are up so I can apply.
    NRA Certified Instructor
    US Army Retired

Dd214

If you were retired recently, then yes it will suffice. I believe that if it was more than 4 yrs that you have to get the CCW training certificate. If you look at the Ohio Rev code for CCW it should say in there somewhere...
    The Iceman, Akron, Oh
    Shoot straight and be safe...

Thanks, I guess I'll find out when I go to apply. I'm glad I have my Utah CCW to cover me in the meantime while I have to wait the 45 days to apply. Once I change my DL to OH from WV then that will void me WV CCW. SO thank god for UTAH.
    NRA Certified Instructor
    US Army Retired

7. CCW Class in OH

Quote Originally Posted by GETMRUTN View Post
    Ok, After reading about the Ohio requirements in regards to what is accepted to obtain your CCW, please help me with this one. When it refers to veterans and retired personel, would this apply to me if say I am retired army? Would I be able to apply for my OH CCW with proof that I retired Army? Or will I still need to show my certificate for CCW or even my certificate from my Police Academy? I am a certified NRA Instructor for the CCW, but I obtained my current CCW in WV off of my Police Creds. I dont have a CCW certificate to use. Doesnt make any sense that I am an Instructor for the state of OH but would still have to take a CCW class to get my permit. Kinda strange situation I guess.
    If you have a CCW FOR WV then you don't need a CC permit in Ohio! Ohio recognizes WV.

Quote Originally Posted by Pasqualy View Post
    If you have a CCW FOR WV then you don't need a CC permit in Ohio! Ohio recognizes WV.
    Once I get my OH drivers license then my WV CCW is no longer valid. I will become an OH resident again. Like the 4th time I think. I have my UTAH so Im not worried about the in between time.
    NRA Certified Instructor
    US Army Retired

9. CCW Class in OH

Quote Originally Posted by GETMRUTN View Post
    Once I get my OH drivers license then my WV CCW is no longer valid. I will become an OH resident again. Like the 4th time I think. I have my UTAH so Im not worried about the in between time.
    oK ...I guess I don't know the law, just thought I did! I never saw the law that you had to have a driver license in the state or your out of state CCW is not valid. Still you should not have any trouble with your credentials. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Pasqualy View Post
    oK ...I guess I don't know the law, just thought I did! I never saw the law that you had to have a driver license in the state or your out of state CCW is not valid. Still you should not have any trouble with your credentials. Good luck.

Once I get my OH drivers license I am then a OH resident. My WV CCW is a Resident CCW. I will no longer be a legal resident of WV so my Resident CCW will be voided. It isnt and wasnt issued as a NON Resident Permit. Just like anywhere else, if that state doesnt have a non resident permit then you have to be a resident of that state to hold a CCW for that state. If you were to get pulled with a OH DL and a WV CCW, then count on losing your weapon and getting charged criminally for carrying a Concealed weapon. I my self have to much invested to take that chance.

Now as far as OH recognizing WV, yes they do but I wont be a WV resident, I will be an Ohio Resident. So the resipricity doesnt matter in this cituation.
    NRA Certified Instructor
    US Army Retired

11. You explained it very well! Now it has sunk in! I was reading that some states issue non-residence license and that some apply for them even though they don't live there but for the reason you gave in your explanation of the law. Thanks.