9 mm ? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 9 mm ?

Quote Originally Posted by larrys0227 View Post
    Hi all.
    I'm looking for some education. I occassionally read about 9 mm lugar. Are there different kinds of 9 mm?

Secondly, which has the more stopping power, 9 mm or 40 s&w? And again, are there more kinds of 40 cal other than S&W?

ThX.
    The 9mm most refer to is the 9mm x 19, 9mm Luger or 9mm Parabellum.
    There is also the .380, which is also called the 9mm Kurz (sp?). Basically a short 9mm (9mm x 17 I think).
    Another one is the 9mm Makarov, or 9mm x 18. Some guns chambered in this will actually fire the .380 as well.

The only other version of the .40 S&Wlis called the 10mm but it is never referred to as a .40. The .40 is basically a shortened 10mm.

As for which is better, It depends on what you can shoot comfortably. The 9mm has a bad reputation with the military but they are using FMJ rounds due to the Geneva convention. The modern expanding rounds perform much better. The .40 has more stopping power but that only counts if you hit what you are aiming at.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    There are many kinds, usually when people say 9mm they mean 9mm Luger.

But one could argue that the .357 Magnum is technically a 9mm bullet, S&W decided to call it a .357 because it makes for better advertising.

.357 inches = 9mm
    .400 inches = 10mm (.40 S&W)

The .40 has more mass + higher velocity than the 9mm luger, but the .357 has the highest velocity of the three.

CartridgeComparison
    9mm =.355 not .357

.38 special is .357

99% of the time, if someone says 9mm or 9mm luger, they are talking about the standard 9mm Parabellum, by far the most popular handgun load in recent history. You can by 50 rounds at most WalMarts for less than $10 (bought 10 boxes for $9.49 each about an hour ago).

The difference in knockdown power for defense loads between 9mm and .40 is not enough for me to justify the cost and availability limitations of .40.

You can get at least 400 foot pounds (search a bit to find 500+ fp ammo) from good defense 9mm (Remington Express), while .40 will push up to about 25% more (500 FP, up to 700+ fp). 400 fp is plenty of stopping power, and you can "always" find 9mm. Much more importantly, you can find and buy loads of practice 9mm to perfect your shot placement. Also, there are MANY more choices of weapon to choose from in 9mm.

Just my observations.

handgonnetoter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by larrys0227 View Post
    Hi all.
    I'm looking for some education. I occassionally read about 9 mm lugar. Are there different kinds of 9 mm?

Secondly, which has the more stopping power, 9 mm or 40 s&w? And again, are there more kinds of 40 cal other than S&W?

ThX.
    There are a lot of people who occupy a hole in the ground because of the 9mm round in its one hundred or so years of its existence. It will get the job done, especially with some of the modern loads out there now. If you read the ballistics on the .40, you will see that it does "generally" pack more muzzle energy than the 9mm, but it is a little more expensive. There is also a 9x18 Makarov and a 9x17 (.380 acp). The .40 came from the 10x25mm round, otherwise known as the 10mm auto. The .40 is the 10x22, or a shorter version of the 10mm auto. Hope this helped.Forgot, the 9mm Lugar is the 9x19.

handgonnetoter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    99% of the time, if someone says 9mm or 9mm luger, they are talking about the standard 9mm Parabellum, by far the most popular handgun load in recent history. You can by 50 rounds at most WalMarts for less than $10 (bought 10 boxes for $9.49 each about an hour ago).

The difference in knockdown power for defense loads between 9mm and .40 is not enough for me to justify the cost and availability limitations of .40.

You can get at least 400 foot pounds (search a bit to find 500+ fp ammo) from good defense 9mm (Remington Express), while .40 will push up to about 25% more (500 FP, up to 700+ fp). 400 fp is plenty of stopping power, and you can "always" find 9mm. Much more importantly, you can find and buy loads of practice 9mm to perfect your shot placement. Also, there are MANY more choices of weapon to choose from in 9mm.

Just my observations.
    I also look at this this way. If the bottom ever falls out, the chances of me being able to scab onto some 9x19 is probably way better than getting my hands on .40 S&W. Not trying to slight the .40, I feel it is an ass-kickin' load, but the 9mm is a more practical choice. JMHO.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12