000 vs. 00 vs. #1 buckshot for Home Defense? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 000 vs. 00 vs. #1 buckshot for Home Defense?

1. Check out Winchester's new defensive rounds.

Oddly enough, I was just reading about that.

The Versatile Shotgun

Indoors or close-quarters applications require an ammunition selection that combines fast stopping power and low risk of overpenetration. While you want to be able to quickly neutralize one or more assailants, you also want to limit penetration of wallboard and other building materials, so as not to injure other occupants of the structure.

Rather than the #00 buckshot load commonly employed by police agencies, #1 buck offers the best combination of stopping power, controlled penetration, and manageable recoil. The key to shotgun load performance in a defense application is combined cross-sectional area, or the total area displaced by all of the pellets contained in the load. Because the slightly smaller #1 pellets more completely fill the available space in the shotshell, #1 is a more efficient load that produces a larger CCA than #00 buck. Consider the following comparison of typical 2-3/4" shells:

Shot size # of pellets Pellet diameter Pellet weight CCA
    00 9 .33 53.8 gr .77 sq inches
    1 16 .30 40 gr 1.13 sq inches
    You can run... but you'll just die tired. 3%

i dont know of any intruders that can take or have taken a direct muzzle blast or even from 10' from 12 ga. 00 buck and actually survive. especially if you hit center of mass. not to say its not possible. but still. i dont really care what statistics claim or prove. i prefer to have penetration power in the case that barriers may very well be present. ive seen what my buckshot can do to a pig carcass and ill trust it just fine for my homes defense. plus i never see 1 buck for sale ever. no one here ever haves it.
    "You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore."

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    i dont know of any intruders that can take or have taken a direct muzzle blast or even from 10' from 12 ga. 00 buck and actually survive. especially if you hit center of mass. not to say its not possible. but still. i dont really care what statistics claim or prove. i prefer to have penetration power in the case that barriers may very well be present. ive seen what my buckshot can do to a pig carcass and ill trust it just fine for my homes defense. plus i never see 1 buck for sale ever. no one here ever haves it.
    I remember reading of a case involving LADP a number of years ago. A robbery of supermarket gone bad, 2 or 3 BG's down, one cop shot a BG at 20' with 0 or 00 center of mass, started to walk off and the BG came off the floor with a firearm, cop punched him again center of mass, down the BG went and started back up again and the 3rd time the cop hit him in the head. Story over. IIRC the perp was all jacked up on PCP (angel dust).

Steve

i wonder if that dude survived? that looked pretty brutal.

im not saying people wont survive it, but the odds are against them. the human body is tuff as hell. thats one reason why i follow up with slugs in my tube. if the buckshot dont do it, then a slug will.
    "You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore."

yeah thats what it reminded me of. talk about a day gone bad.

Why does single-O get skipped in this discusion? It splits the difference between 1 and OO.

I keep #4 buckshot in the tube. More pellets means more holes in my book. I know that I could just use the bird shot, I use them for the clay targets.

I keep my Mossberg 500 Cruiser loaded with low-recoil 00 and low-recoil slugs. The outer wall of my home are CBC construction so I don't need to worry too much about peppering the neighborhood. No kids in the house either. I'm pretty good at repairing drywall

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast