000 vs. 00 vs. #1 buckshot for Home Defense?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 000 vs. 00 vs. #1 buckshot for Home Defense?

000 vs. 00 vs. #1 buckshot for Home Defense?

I was at Cabelas the other day and one of the employees showed me an article stating that #1 buckshot performs overall better than "00". I am wondering what you guys think about the loads??

by the way, the ostrich & elk meat sandwiches in their diner is pretty tasty on a kaiser roll w' lettuce & tomatos!

It's 00 for me, any situation.
    In America today, it's considered worse to judge evil than to do evil. Never let these Christophobic Liberal Progressive Purveyors of Infanticide & Homosexual Perversion who always manipulate truth to be hate speech set the terms in a debate.

4. The conventional wisdom for HD shot size is 6 shot to avoid over penetration of residential drywall. If that isn't a concern, i.e. other family members who may be in the house, then you should pattern the shot on a paper target at 15 yds or so. You want to see round holes in the paper. If you see ragged holes, the shot is being deformed, which would indicate to a hunter to use a more open choke, or in HD, the shot may be too large for your gun, barrel, barrel length, and choke.

It's a good idea to pattern your shot anyway, since it will give you a good idea at how far the effective range of your HD shotgun is. It can kill up to 30 - 40 yds, even 60 or 70. But, you're not going to get a lot of shot in a target at those distance.

The less number of pellets, the greater the distance between pellets will be at greater distances. So, if you think 30 yds is a reasonable HD scenario, then go with smaller shot, even #2.

I use 00 buck, but I also hunt dear, and anything over 30 yds is too far for an effective kill.

Bird shot has been extensively tested.

Birdshot makes superficial, gruesome appearing wounds. It does NOT penetrate deep enough to reach vital structures and produce rapid incapacitation.

Birdshot is only for protection from little birdies!

Shotgun Home Defense Ammunition, .357 SIG -- A Solution in Search of a Problem?

Home Defense Shotgun Ammo

The Box O' Truth #3 - The Shotgun Meets the Box O' Truth - Page 1

6. HD Rounds 12 G

I use the 00 due to the fact that I have no one else in my home to worry to worry about over penetration. I train at 20 feet, as my home has no rooms extending beyond 30 feet without concealment. The other option is that you know your home very well, and if a perp takes cover behind what you know to be only concealment, you can eliminate the threat without any issues through drywall. I can't tell you how many people think they are safe behind two layers of drywall and some insulation! Fact is, if the perp hides behind the wall visible from the bedroom my 00 will take it down. Good luck on the search!

Quote Originally Posted by NCGunDude View Post
    It's a good idea to pattern your shot anyway, since it will give you a good idea at how far the effective range of your HD shotgun is. It can kill up to 30 - 40 yds, even 60 or 70. But, you're not going to get a lot of shot in a target at those distance.
    Very true, but on a similar note.....

Patterning your shotgun will also tell you how large a shot pattern you'll get at distances inside your home. Many folks mistakenly think that pointing a shotgun and pulling the trigger will guarantee a hit. They may not realize that at closer ranges... some patterns are smaller than a tennis ball, and still require accuracy. It matters little what you shoot, if you can't put the shot on target.
    Only when our arms are sufficient, without doubt, can we be certain, without doubt, that they will never be employed....... John F. Kennedy
    Life Member NRA Life Member Marine Corps League

If you're down to defending yourself INSIDE your home, then I'm of the opinion that you want to do as much damage as
    possible to the intruder(s) and for me, that's 00. You can repair the drywall later!
    Kill them all and let God sort them out!

Bond derringer- hd, 357 or 410 000?

I have a bond derringer in 357 , thinking about oicking up a 45 lc/ 410 000 barrel for hd anyone know anything about the performance of the 410?

Quote Originally Posted by Bighouse Doc View Post
    Bird shot has been extensively tested.

Birdshot makes superficial, gruesome appearing wounds. It does NOT penetrate deep enough to reach vital structures and produce rapid incapacitation.

Birdshot is only for protection from little birdies!

Shotgun Home Defense Ammunition, .357 SIG -- A Solution in Search of a Problem?
    That's the article the gentleman from cabelas showed me and he had this section highlighted: "In all shotshell loads, number 1 buckshot produces more potentially effective wound trauma than either #00 or #000 buck. In addition, number 1 buck is less likely to over-penetrate and exit an attacker's body."

But it also appears that you can't lose when using "00". I have a Remington 870 tactical and a Stoeger Coach gun. Is "000" just way too much??

Quote Originally Posted by ricardo900 View Post
    But it also appears that you can't lose when using "00". I have a Remington 870 tactical and a Stoeger Coach gun. Is "000" just way too much??
    In my opinion no, I live in a rural area and keep my Rem stoked with 3" 000 and a couple of slugs.

Steve

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast