laser vs. night sights
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: laser vs. night sights

laser vs. night sights

so im in the market for either a set of night sights... mainly metprolite (spell check) the ones used on kimber pistols or im looking into laser lyte.. the rear sight laser... what are the pros or cons for either idea and why....

looking to get it with in the next month or so. any feed back would be awesome. also who uses a laser? what kind do u use? night sights?? whos got em and why..

i have a streamlight tlr-2 on the m&p .40. love the light laser combo, but my xd-40 sc i dont want a light for... just a laser or nightsights.

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by aj's 40 cal View Post
    so im in the market for either a set of night sights... mainly metprolite (spell check) the ones used on kimber pistols or im looking into laser lyte.. the rear sight laser... what are the pros or cons for either idea and why....

looking to get it with in the next month or so. any feed back would be awesome. also who uses a laser? what kind do u use? night sights?? whos got em and why..

i have a streamlight tlr-2 on the m&p .40. love the light laser combo, but my xd-40 sc i dont want a light for... just a laser or nightsights.

thanks!
    My opinion for what it is worth, I have night sights on most of my carry/SD guns and a laser/light combo on my wifes Sig Sauer. But to be honest, if it is so dark you need a laser to shoot, I doubt that you can identify the target. A good set of night sights (Novack, Meprolight and others) will let you shoot under most any condition you could encounter. I like the Meprolights, they seem to be the brightest on the market, at least to my eyes.

There are a number of folks here that like the Crimson Trace, but for me the laser dot is more of a distraction while shooting than a benefit.

I like to keep my carry and SD guns fairly simple, without a bunch of gadgets hanging off of them.

Stick to the Night Sights....JMO.

4. I personally prefer night sights for all around carry. I purchased laser sights for my wife’s Bersa. I personally like the night sights. Any immediate threat will only be within a few yards anyway. I don’t think you will have time to focus on a beam. Your mussel memory will be more reliable and accurate.

Bill
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."Frederic Bastia

My 1911has trijicons (came with them) which are very nice and I have a beretta px4 with a stream light tlr-2 laser/led light for my nighttime home defense the nice thing about a laser is you don't have to bring the gun to eye level to get on target

I like night sights better.

So why not both??? My HK has Trijcons and an TLR-2 sighted in to parallel the barrel..... the value of a good strobe effect on someone's optic nerve in total darkness is imeasurable.....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century
    "Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out!" Father John Corapi.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon View Post
    So why not both??? .. the value of a good strobe effect on someone's optic nerve in total darkness is imeasurable.....
    No argument there...I use a Surefire 3 cell.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by homershoots View Post
    My 1911has trijicons (came with them)
    My Kimber, too. I like 'em. I have a LaserMax fitted to my Lovely Bride's G27 because she requested it, but I prefer the Night Sights. It works just fine, if you like such things, but Lasers, like tracers, work both ways...Night Sights don't.
    NRA Life; GOA Life; CCRKBA Life; Trustee, NJCSD; F&AM: 32 & KT
    The Only Answer to a Bad Guy with a Gun - Is a Good Guy with a Gun!
    When Seconds Count...The Police are only MINUTES Away!

Lasers have a tactical place just like other sighting systems.

I wouldn't go without night sights on any pistol. The addition of a laser is a technology that should not replace tactical instinctive shooting with iron sights but supplement the ability to point shoot , if needed, when you are not in a position to align your iron/night sights with your intended target.

Example: You are confronted from behind and your knocked silly by a club and your suddenly on the ground wondering what just happened. Your only chance, with fuzzy vision, is to get to your pistol, point laser designator on target and squeeze trigger. This shot is going to be non-conventional in nature, from your hip, laying on your back, your side, etc.

It's a supplement, not a primary sight system.
    "When a government robs Peter to pay Paul it will alway's have the support of Paul" George Bernard Shaw

The laser sight could be usefull when using the "speed-rock" shooting technique. Or when shooting using a balistic shield or wearing a gas mask, if those options are of any tactical importance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast