Living in BFE

Thread: Living in BFE

Living in BFE

I live way out in rural Appalachia, we suddenly had a rash of B&Es. And we can't get the sheriff's department to come out here. Apparently "To Serve and Protect" went the way of the budget. Some little towns are laying off their whole police departments.

This isn't little stuff, the Chief of the local VFD had $6,000 in hand tools vanish over night from his farm. People have come home to doors smashed open and pad locks cut. So we are very armed, as that before we were just armed.

The economic sucks, so people are supplementing their unemployment with some quick money. Pretty soon these perps will run out easy pickings and will move on, thats really sad to say.

Jerry
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    North American Hunting Club Life Member
    Crossbow Nation

3. Sorry to hear about the increase in theft in your neighborhood, but that seems to be pretty common all across the country any more. You may want to invest in a simple trail camera (under $150), that hunters use to see what anamials are using what trails day, or night. It has a motion sensor and will take color photos during the day, and black and white photos at night with an infrared flash, some of the cameras will also take video. If you think someone is prowling around while you are not home, it will give you photos of who is coming around day, or night. Would also work if you think someone is coming around to see the wife while you are gone. Infrared flash is not visable to humans so they never know they are being photographed. And if your place is robbed you know who to go looking for, with photo evidence. Just use a little imiganation in hiding the camera so it is not readly visable to robbers.
    Not as good as a prompt law enforcement responce, but better than just waiting to be robbed.

PO,

I have 4 of those camera that I keep around for the area of my property that I hunt on. The best thing I think I have is Rufus my 75 pound Lab puppy. He barks at everything, so I do hear him. The next best thing I have is the SIG P220 that I carry on my hip at all times, Ohio has the Castle Doctrine, so I have a right to defend my property, my home and myself.

Currently we have a $2,500 reward out for the perps who are doing this. A few folks want that to be Dead or Alive, I just want it to be within the law.

Thanks for the idea,

Jerry
    Crossbow Nation

I forgot to mention, that I shoot on my rifle range often and my sporting clys range 3 or 4 times a week, my pistol range daily. All of the noise keeps the wild critters away and probably the 2 legged ones also.

Jerry
    Crossbow Nation

You mentioned that shooting clays might keep the two legged creatures away. In my opinion, its probably more like a call to the theives....WE HAVE GUNS HERE! Stay safe. I hope the pieces of .... get caught. I lost 4 guns and a door frame a few years ago.

Parshooter,

Do you live in the city or suburbia? I really live so far out in the country side that I have safes for my guns, video security, plus replacement coverage insurance. A strange car or truck in my driveway would get what few neighbors that I have to wondering.

Plus Rufus would be barking up a fuss that would get all the other dogs around here barking.

The big thing that I have in my favor is a simple one, 97% of the time I am home. I have no fixed schedule.

People have told me that they have seen gun safes pryed open, video security cut off, etc, etc. That would draw attention around here, Plus my video security is on a DVR in the house hidden and is automatically mirrored else where on the internet. The big thing I depend on is my insurance, which I pay a lot for, but it is for current replacement cost.

I used to live in a suburban city where the high school kids were experts at B&E.

Jerry
    Crossbow Nation

Hmm.

BFE or House in urban area that backs up to a rough (real rough) part of town...which would you choose?

I stay armed regardless

Labs are OK, but a big ol' Rottweiller would be better. I've had both and boy, that Rott would stop people dead in their tracks every time. My son has moved to a country place well in the sticks. He has a Brittaney Spaniel (who is an excellent little watchdog) and I have a German Wire Hair Pointer (which aren't too shabby at watch dogging, either, and will bite), both used for hunting, but we're contemplating another Rott just for guard dog purposes on the farmstead.
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

I have Rufus,a quality Rot would be expensive at the moment, as that Rufus is not thru with his training, he just turned one, I won't chance the change in the Alpha Male in the house.

When I lived in the city, I was armed, but Ohio didn't have the CCW laws or the Castle Doctrine then, so I was taking my chances at having a judge that wouldn't put me away for defending my home. That is when we had LEOs.

Now my policy is: I don't have any policy, I just have a BFG.

My home defendable from 5 feet to 500 yards, I have the fire power to enforce that zone. If I have to defend beyond 500 meters, that will be a serious decision, Barrett or Mc Millian. My terran is such that beyond 500 meters really just isn't there, that is hill top to hill top.

In Urban and Suiburban areas, an AR 15 is well suited for that level of pertections, for me, I have an M1A, scoped, with laser. I have 300 RUM with a 40 power scope and for close up, I have a Marlin lever gun, these would suit the variety of ranges I live with.

The big thing, is a simple one, idiot breaks in, I shoot him/her dead, then either throw the body in the middle of the road or turn them into fertilizer. Either way no LEOs are needed. That should save taxpayer money and also follow the law.

Jerry
    Crossbow Nation