Is it bulletproof? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it bulletproof?

Have done penetration tests on 4" Oak, Sweetgum, and Pine. Even a 223 goes through 6" of Pine and 1" of Oak behind it. 7.62X39s easily go through Oak/Gum 4X6s. 308s/'06s slice through 6" effortlessly. Wood is fine for 45s/9s/38s but rifle fire does it in easily. If you caught the "leaning it forward" hint about the steel plating it would have made more sense. That deflects incoming easily--especially if it has already been slowed by timbers/building components. Even AP rounds can be deflected. That is why tanks have rounded surfaces or angled places all over.

I have a practical question, who is going to help me move my steel plates into the house. I can lift the plates out of storage with my tractor and boom arm. But getting them into the house is another story.

Most of the plates I have weigh in at 1,400 pound each. I do have one plate that is around 700 pounds, not sue how good these would be, and what I would have to do to re-enforce the house.

Maybe Rail Road Ties would be better. I haven't seen any exit holds from any caliber I have shot at them. The core of my backstop is rail road ties. The heaviest caliber I have hit the backstop with is a 375 Ruger rifle, the bullets didn't go thru.

Jerry
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    North American Hunting Club Life Member
    Crossbow Nation

Morning Jerry, you do not need a 4X8 foot sheet. Two by six will do just as well. If you decorate it then it will become an asset to your decor. Do not forget to reinforce your floor under any static load.

If I cut the 4 x 8 sheets down to 2 x 6 that will be a big job with my plasma cutter. It's rated for 3/4 inch, but the cutter slows way down at 1/2 inch and thicker. Still this is heavy piece of steel. The fllors will need daughter joist and probably a couple of jackstand in the basement to hold either sizes of these pieces of stell.

How about I shot them out side and drag them and say see I am such a good shot I did make a mess on the walls.

Jerry
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    North American Hunting Club Life Member
    Crossbow Nation

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12