Would a solid bullet penetrate better than a JHP or Hydroshock? - Page 3
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Would a solid bullet penetrate better than a JHP or Hydroshock?

Quote Originally Posted by angrypenguin View Post
    I have a M&P compact .40. The recoil is nothing to me, I shoot it very well even with rapid fire so no issues with any of that :) I was told it would be much more snappy than my Glock 26 but it feels the same to me, maaaaaybe a tad bit more. My issues were finding a .45 that holds at least 10 rounds and was the same size as my 26.
    Well you really have a problem don't you? There are .45 handguns on the market that are the same size as your ugly Glock 26 9mm that carry a 10 rd mag. I own and carry one, the Taurus PT145. Now before you say anything bad about Taurus Firearms, just remember your shooting a Austrian made Polymer handgun that has more than it's share of failures. The only thing that has made Glock so popular is that the factory nearly gives the things away to Law Enforcement Agencies.
    MSgt, USAF (ret), Life Member - NRA, Life Member - NAHC,
    Life Member - NCOA, Member - USCCA, Member - NCGR,
    Member - Oathkeepers

3. I'm not going to say anything bad about your gun but I will say that the Glock is a wonderful gun. I do not believe for one second that they got popular because they nearly give them away to law enforcement. After owning one for a few years and detail stripping it many times and firing it a lot I have to say it is a quality, reliable, well made piece for many many reasons. No it's not a beautiful gun but it was not made for that reason nor did I buy it for that reason. I have researched the M&P quite a bit before I bought it and did not find many people saying it had failures, not saying that it does not. I even pointed out a few things about the gun that I do not like in this thread. I don't think I saw the Taurus when I was shopping or I would have considered it.

Maybe once I start working I will find me a small .45 among a few other pieces I have in mind

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Retired Grunt View Post
    I carry a mix of FMJ and HP in my magazines. A word of advice make sure what you carry feeds 100% for any/all types of ammo
    Why not also throw in some incendiary and tracer ammo as well? You never know what your tactical situation might require.

Quality JHP, in an urban setting.
    "How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." -- Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)

If I'm going to reliably shoot through cover it's going to be with a 308. I'm not counting a pistol caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by angrypenguin View Post
    ...No it's not a beautiful gun but it was not made for that reason nor did I buy it for that reason. ....
    "Weapons should be hearty rather than decorative.." -Miyamoto Musashi.

-Doc

Blog Entries
    If the BG takes cover, quit shooting!!!! You can no longer verify that the BG is still a threat. What happens when that perp dives into a car, tosses the weapon out the window opposite you, and you proceed to keep firing and end up killing the perp? You become the BG and are now a great deal more liable.

Basically, there is now way you will be able to get on a witness stand and HONESTLY say that you knew, without a single iota of a doubt, the other person was still a threat AFTER you lost sight of them.

I forgot to add, the correct way to clear a stovepipe is NOT tap, rack, bang. It IS tap, rack, observe, react. Perps have bad habits of running out of ammo and dropping their weapons turning you tap, rack, bangers into the aggressors. The LAPD learned this the hard way in the mid to late 90's.
    My way is not better, it is just mine, your way is not better, it is just yours.
    Carry what your comfortable with, there is no "Supergun" Carry how your comfortable, open or concealed, so you have it with you when you need it

9. You can also not say without a doubt the if a BG takes cover that he is not a threat still..... What if he takes cover and you think he is no longer a threat and the next thing you know he pops up and still shoots at you? I'd rather take my chances on the stand than be dead, just my opinion though.

I ended up going with PDX1 as my carry ammo, I think it has enough penetration power. When I start to carry extra mags on me one mag will still be good ball ammo though.

Blog Entries
    Angry, keep vigilant, just quit shooting. Seek cover yourself, await backup.
    My way is not better, it is just mine, your way is not better, it is just yours.
    Carry what your comfortable with, there is no "Supergun" Carry how your comfortable, open or concealed, so you have it with you when you need it

11. "The best defense is a good offense". Rings true when it comes to self defense also :) If I ever end up in a situation where I have to protect myself or loved ones, believe me I will be aggressive, relentless, and pull no punches. :) I don't go looking for dangerous situations, I avoid them in fact but I for sure won't await backup, police or anyone to come to my rescue in a situation like that. I will reach for my weapon before the cell phone if it comes down to that lol.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast