Would a solid bullet penetrate better than a JHP or Hydroshock? - Page 4
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Would a solid bullet penetrate better than a JHP or Hydroshock?

Blog Entries
    OK, I had a post go MIA. Oh well.

Now that I have given it more than 10 seconds thought, I owe everyone an apology. Of course the only way your gonna return fire is if the perp is still shooting at you. I assumed that the perp took cover and quit shooting, while the rest of you went with he\she kept shooting. Thats what I get for giving an opinion when I have to be up getting ready for night shifts.

So now for a more informative answer. Why not keep a mag of ball ammo with you, and load JHP for carry? That way if needs be you can switch to ball (if\when necessary) Practice switching mags quickly without just dropping gun's mag on the ground.

As I have never been involved in a firefight, I can only offer speculation on what may\may not work.
    My way is not better, it is just mine, your way is not better, it is just yours.
    Carry what your comfortable with, there is no "Supergun" Carry how your comfortable, open or concealed, so you have it with you when you need it

3. I'm with you on this. If the BG is down behind cover, it is time to put some distance between you.

Quote Originally Posted by Retired Grunt View Post
    I carry a mix of FMJ and HP in my magazines. A word of advice make sure what you carry feeds 100% for any/all types of ammo
    I usually do the same thing. First round is FMJ, next JHP, etc. Tested very thoroughly first!

5. Maybe your not understanding me on this. If I can SAFELY and I mean with zero risk of being exposed I would try to escape. But if there is a risk of me being exposed one bit I am not going to run. Everything I have read says thats the thing to do and that running from a gun fight usually ends up in you getting shot in the back which I agree with. If someone attacks you they probably won't just stop because they see you running away.... You can run when the BG ducks behind a car, I'm not going to risk him popping back up and shooting me in the back...... The chances of this happening are slim I know but I try to think over every situation I can think of and what I would do just to help be a little more prepared. Everyone is different but I am the type that is going to be 110% aggressive and relentless when it comes to the defense of myself and the ones I love.

Winchester Supreme Elite PDX1

It's designed to have better barrier penetration weight and size retention, but they expand like the Ranger Talons when into soft tissue. The jacket is bonded to the lead, and at the tip is thicker and has more mass to retain shape in case of barrier strikes.

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

7. Quote Originally Posted by 6shootercarry View Post
    Winchester Supreme Elite PDX1

It's designed to have better barrier penetration weight and size retention, but they expand like the Ranger Talons when into soft tissue. The jacket is bonded to the lead, and at the tip is thicker and has more mass to retain shape in case of barrier strikes.

Peace...
    That is the ammo I decided to go with.

Quote Originally Posted by angrypenguin View Post
    That is the ammo I decided to go with.
    That is a good personal defense ammo. The other is Hornady Critical Defense. It's designed to expand consistently even when heavy clothing or layers of clothing are struck first. It's not as likely to over penetrate.

No ammo will help you if you miss. Remember the gun is but another tool. Learn how and when to use.

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hamberger View Post
    Well you really have a problem don't you? There are .45 handguns on the market that are the same size as your ugly Glock 26 9mm that carry a 10 rd mag. I own and carry one, the Taurus PT145. Now before you say anything bad about Taurus Firearms, just remember your shooting a Austrian made Polymer handgun that has more than it's share of failures. The only thing that has made Glock so popular is that the factory nearly gives the things away to Law Enforcement Agencies.

Wow. Glock has been very good to law enforcement with pricing, but to say that's the primary reason approximately 65 percent of U.S. law enforcement use Glock handguns is flat out false. You may not like Glocks, and they may not be "pretty" but they have proven for years to be reliable, durable, quality, and great performers. Because of Glock's lead, look at all the gun makers using polymer in their products now.

If you want to penetrate through obects and still cause maximum damage to BG, try a 454 Casull.

11. Or a .500 S&W

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast