Would a solid bullet penetrate better than a JHP or Hydroshock?
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would a solid bullet penetrate better than a JHP or Hydroshock?

1. Would a solid bullet penetrate better than a JHP or Hydroshock?

The reason I ask is say you end up in a gun fight and the BG takes cover somewhere, would a solid bullet penetrate things better than one that is going to expand like a hollowpoint? Anyone ever though of loading say half and half in a mag for this reason?

3. I'm not necessarily saying cover in a house. I'm talking more if your caught in say a parking lot or something along those lines. You won't be able to safely retreat with a BG shooting at you in some situations.

I carry a mix of FMJ and HP in my magazines. A word of advice make sure what you carry feeds 100% for any/all types of ammo

Shooting somebody with a FMJ handgun round is akin to stabbing them with a long screwdriver. It's gonna go right through them but unless you hit something critical it won't do much damage. Still, it's better than nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    Shooting somebody with a FMJ handgun round is akin to stabbing them with a long screwdriver. It's gonna go right through them but unless you hit something critical it won't do much damage. Still, it's better than nothing.
    Yeah, go right through them and then what?? Into the little girl that's behind the bad guy??? The pregnant woman??
    My standard carry is all JHP's..
    Some people do the mix thing.. IF I was going to do this in a primary mag, I'd stack 5 or 6 JHP's on top, then deeper in the Magazine would be the FMJ's..
    In my house I keep a 2nd Magazine next to my pistol. IN that Magazine I have Alternating FMJ/JHP's. The idea is that IF someone was to take cover, I could swap out mags and get the penetration I MIGHT need..

IMHO..

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

If you stick with a a good premium HP, why bother to mix at all?

All the major premiums pass the FBI test just fine.

No sense in adding liability to hitting third parties with ball ammo that goes thru the perp and continues on it's merry way.

-Doc

8. If I were to do this it would be 5-6 hydro shocks on top of the FMJ. Or I would carry the FMJ in another mag as I am going to eventually try and find a way to carry more than 1 mag and completely concealed.

If the BG decides to hide, take that as an opportunity to open the distance between you!

This isn't the army. You have no duty to destroy him behind cover.

Ball has no place in citizen self defense.

-Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Bighouse Doc View Post
    If the BG decides to hide, take that as an opportunity to open the distance between you!

This isn't the army. You have no duty to destroy him behind cover.

Ball has no place in citizen self defense.

-Doc
    In general I totally agree with you Doc; However, I think about the lady in Luby's... Sure I can increase the gap, and I am only responsible for me and my family, But if there is a mad gunman in a crowded place that has shown they are hell bent on assassinating as many as possible... I may just have to stick around... A few FMJ's might come in handy... I don't carry FMJ's as a rule, but I can see the point of having the option...
    I have reserved the right for myself in my house... The chances of bystanders is pretty slim, and It's not my 1st option, but available IF needed...

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

11. I was thinking of a situation where you may be in say a parking lot or somewhere where there is cover but also wide open spaces where if you tried to retreat you would be out in the open.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast