Home Protection Shotguns - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Home Protection Shotguns

If you are only going to use it for home defense then I'd check your local pawnshops. You'd be surprised at how cheaply you can find a good shotgun at around $150.00 or less there. Some of them are almost brand new. That would be the first place I'd look.
    Why are you worried about holding up the targets for me? It' s a 9mm!

H&R 12 Gauge pump, 18 and 1/4 barrel, only comes in black, very nice shotgun for the money, don't pay much over $200, I gave $190 shoots any type 12 gauge ammo well destroys a cinder block at 100 yds with a slug, and has a good pattern with about any buckshot, did not try anything smaller than #4 buck

Remington 870 Express Tactical. 7 rounds, 7 pounds. Strong enough to beat the BG to death if you forget to load it.

From looking at the two guns the H&R looks like a clone of the 870

Built an 870 starting with the receiver. Extended Mag Tube, Mesa Tactical 6 Pos Stock, Fat Safety, 20" Slug Barrel with Iron Sights not riffled, Hogue forend grip, and Mesa Tactical Shell Holder. Paid $25 for the receiver and put about $200 in it. I"ve been offered over $600 for it as is.
    NRA Certified Instructor
    US Army Retired
    Prior Federal Police Officer Instructor

H&R 20 ga bought it Walmart for 159.00, wife loves it ! We have taken it to the range twice and she has ran about 60 rounds of buckshot through it . She likes it better than her 357 Taurus 605.
    As water reflects a face,so a mans heart reflects the man.Proverbs 27:19

Nef (h&r)

Another vote for the H&R. Mine is the NEF (H&R) Pardner Protector. It is a 870 clone, but it has the "humpback" receiver. Seems that most of the 870 accessories fit just fine. Mine will hold 6+1 of the 2 3/4" 00buck with the plugs out. Patterns just fine with cyl bore for HD purposes. I bought the extra rifled barrel with rifle sights and keep that one on because the buckshot will pattern a little wider at across the room distances.The Box O' Truth #43 - Buckshot in a Rifled Shotgun Barrel - Page 1

handgonnetoter Guest
    Yea, the H&R pump was/is made in China, but when Remington saw what was going on with it they just bought the plant that made them and now it is basically owned by Remington. The Chinese put the "hump" on the reciever just to try and get by any patent infringements, but no dice. Remington just bought them out. I know a guy who works at a gun retailer and he bought two of them for his sons and they have shot the crap out of them and, according to him, are still working just fine. I feel like a piker to you all on this thread, the only shot gun I have is a Rossi (Taurus) 12 GA. single shot with a butt cuff and five extra rounds. I use the military buck shot for the home defense role, if I needed the shot gun. I keep my 9mm at arms length most of the time so the shot gun is the back up. I have been thinking about getting the H&R pump with the 18" barrel though. I think, in the home that is, it would be a better choice than the 9mm. Too much penetration with bullets.

Mossberg 500 a1, and my SW640...hubby's Glock 19

11. Quote Originally Posted by fiasconva View Post
    If you are only going to use it for home defense then I'd check your local pawnshops. You'd be surprised at how cheaply you can find a good shotgun at around $150.00 or less there. Some of them are almost brand new. That would be the first place I'd look.
    Definitely a good recommendation. Got a nice Mossberg 500 with 28in vent rib barrel for $175 at a pawn shop and $80 later got the 18.5 inch barrel. Now I've got home defense and hunting covered.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast