Home Protection Shotguns - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Home Protection Shotguns

Talking Stoeger Coach Gun

It's a nice size and have been protecting stage coaches since 1858!
    http://www.stoegerindustries.com/fir...ge_blue_12.jpg

Mossburg 590, back when I purchased it cost about $270, holds 9 plus 4 in the speed feed stock. A tad heavy but never fails.
    Load is O buck with 2 slugs and 2 flechettes in speed feed, just in case

Bought a older Winchester Ranger 110 12 GA at a gun show for $100. Bought pistol grip for Winchester 1200 (fits Ranger 110) for $20. Makes for nice home self defence gun.

My choice for the "home protection" shotgun was the Mossberg 500A. I've hot rodded it a little with a TACSTAR mounted light with pressure switch, a barrel heat sheild and ammo rail. I guess if youre slinging 00 buckshot at a target all the extras are just novelties.

I would agree with gregory44mag. A Mossberg 500a would be just fine. You can find all of the extras almost anywhere online now a days.

7. I don't own one but I've been eyeing the Charles Daly 1887 lever action shotgun as the home protector. 22" barrel 12 gauge and I always seem to be in the moment behind a lever action.

Mossberg 930 versions are reasonably priced.

Just a little info. Every now and then the Teflon starts looking shabby on one of my fry pans. Rather than chuck one out last week I threw it in the truck and took it to Maine with me. 12 inch diameter and thick aluminum, I figured would make a nice target to zero in my Remington 870 with 18" barrel. So I hung it from a stubby branch on a small pine tree.

At 120 feet with buck shot ( 9 pellets) not even one hit the pan.

First shot with a slug was 2" left of dead center and blew clean through.

Second slug was 5" low and hit the curved edge making a massive dent and deflected.

Can't imagine why that one missed so bad, using a red dot scope. I wanted to try another shot closer with the buck shot but the sky opened up and was just raining too heavy.

Only conclusion I made in the short time I had to play with it was, Don't use a fry pan for cover in a gun fight.
    You can run... but you'll just die tired. 3%

Quote Originally Posted by OldOwl View Post
    Only conclusion I made in the short time I had to play with it was, Don't use a fry pan for cover in a gun fight.
    Especially if it's an All-Clad pan, those are way to expesive to shoot up.

Well since we're on the subject, my daughter is 18 now and can get an FID card. She and the wife are alone when I go off to work. The wife will shoot a hand gun at the range with me but doesn't like it. My daughter on the other hand is quite a shot with rifle and pistol. I'm thinking SHE should be in charge of a gun when I'm away. I'm confident she's responsible enough and wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger if she had to.

I'm thinking the least complicated to use under pressure and while in fear, is a double barrel, 410 or 20 Ga. Any thoughts?
    You can run... but you'll just die tired. 3%

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast