Hassled at the grocery store yesterday. - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hassled at the grocery store yesterday.

All Wal-Smarts in my area have no firearms signs posted. It's a shame because that is often where I feel most at risk.

Another interesting note is that a Wal-Smart in Albuquerque was the only place in New Mexico that a CCW permit has been used to save a a life. An estranged boyfriend jumped a counter and began stabbing his former girlfriend only to be stopped by a 76 year old man with a gun.

Go figure...

sorry to hear about your experience. I guess I would just like to say thanks for handling it so proffesionally and rationally. you made us all proud great job. keep us posted on thier reply

Your Wal-Marts are posted?

That is a surprise! Have you inquired about that with the Home Office in Bentonville? It is supposed to be a company-wide policy NOT to post their locations. You should snap a picture and mail it to them with an inquiry. Post it to, I for one am curious about this.
    Reality, DEAL with IT!

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
    Can I hear a "SALUTE!" ???
    SAAAAA-LUUT
    Victory rewards not the army that fires the most rounds, but who is the more accurate shot. ---Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Commander_Cob View Post
    All Wal-Smarts in my area have no firearms signs posted. It's a shame because that is often where I feel most at risk.

Another interesting note is that a Wal-Smart in Albuquerque was the only place in New Mexico that a CCW permit has been used to save a a life. An estranged boyfriend jumped a counter and began stabbing his former girlfriend only to be stopped by a 76 year old man with a gun.

Go figure...
    You might ought to consider a letter to corporate. "Gunbuster" signs are NOT corporate policy, and letters to their main office often have the desired effect of removing the store's signs. The only other reason I'd think that they have that sign posted is if there's a statute in the NM law where you can't carry in a place that SELLS beverage for consumption off premises.
    Victory rewards not the army that fires the most rounds, but who is the more accurate shot. ---Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by ecocks View Post
    That is a surprise! Have you inquired about that with the Home Office in Bentonville? It is supposed to be a company-wide policy NOT to post their locations. You should snap a picture and mail it to them with an inquiry. Post it to, I for one am curious about this.
    I'd like to see that also. I've read stories where a certain Wal-Mart had a sign and someone called the home office and the sign was down the next day. You get some managers that try to overstep their authority. Give the home office a call!
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Quote Originally Posted by PascalFleischman View Post
    You might ought to consider a letter to corporate. "Gunbuster" signs are NOT corporate policy, and letters to their main office often have the desired effect of removing the store's signs. The only other reason I'd think that they have that sign posted is if there's a statute in the NM law where you can't carry in a place that SELLS beverage for consumption off premises.

That prohibition only applies to open carry. NM statute specifically exempts concealed carry permit holders from this prohibition.

tattedupboy,

That's good info to know. We just had our law changed that we can now carry in establishments that sale alcohol, just not those that serve alcohol. Though, if I understood my CCW instructor correctly, we cannot carry into any establishment that is has "no guns" posted (even if its in crayon on the ceiling). I could be wrong so please correct me if so. Also, our Wal-Marts are only posted "gun free" IN the alcohol section, not at the front of the store. Does that make any difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Commander_Cob View Post
    tattedupboy,

Also, our Wal-Marts are only posted "gun free" IN the alcohol section, not at the front of the store. Does that make any difference?

Sounds like the sign is to comply with the alcohol sales laws. If that's the case, shop at Walmart, but don't go into the booze section. :D As a previous poster posted, the sign may be in error as the law only applies to "open" carry. If that's the case, get some good documentation of the law and forward it to the home office. I'm sure the legal department will make a decision, and if it's legal for folks to carry, then the signs will be either changed to comply with the law or removed.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

11. Hassled

Both Wal*Marts in Coolidge and Casa Grande, AZ are posted, as are a lot of other businesses since the ccw law went into effect. I told the managers of both stores that if I am ever injured by a BG while shopping there, I will sue Wal-Mart for every penny I can get because they are depriving me of the ability to defend myself. I asked them if they ever heard of Luby's, in Killeen, TX. I was not aware of the company policy and the procedure to follow when they post one of these signs. Thanks.
    In 1988, my fiancee and my wife traveled to my home town, Indianapolis, IN and her home town, Erie, PA, as my mother had passed away, and I needed to sign some papers. I wore my 1911 openly all the way there and back, and we talke to many police and sheriffs. Nothing was ever said, probably because on the front of my belt was my star badge. We got back and the Wal-Mart in Casa Grande was having their grand opening. I had an unarmed security guard who resembled Mortimer Snerd's first cousin and had six inches of white sock between his shoes and pants, which were a bit tight around the armpits, confront me and tell me I had to leave the store. I alll but shoved my badge up his nose and identified myself in no uncertain terms as a police officer. His last words, as we left, was leave it at home. I was trained not to make waves, but my wife wasn't she called the store and the manager said he understood. We went back later that night, and I had my weapon concealed, and this idiot followed us all over the store, 18 inches behind us. We got up by the service desk and my wife asked the manager to get the monkey off our butts. The manager told the guard that I was a police officer, and I could carry my weapon anywhere, anytime I wished. The bozo security guard looked at the manager and said (sounding like Mortimer Snerd) "In the store?" To this day, when we run into stupidity, we look at each other and go, "In the store?"
    A man without a gun is a subject; a man with a gun is a citizen.
    I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can keep THE CHANGE.
    An armed society is a polite society.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast