Hassled at the grocery store yesterday. - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Hassled at the grocery store yesterday.

tattedupboy, did you ever receive a response to your email?

How did this thread go from being about me being hassled at ALDI to whether it is legal to carry at WalMart in New Mexico?

I posted this back in February, and I believe I posted another thread in which I explained that I did receive a response. I now go to ALDI once a week and other than a guard who told me that guns weren't allowed in the store (to which I responded by showing him my reply letter), I haven't had any problems since. It also helps that I've been carrying mostly IWB since then, so that there is less of a print than there was with the Fobus paddle.

4. I don't see an update to the story, didn't Aldi ever send a reply? Remember when you're carrying, squat and bend at the knees like a Playboy Bunny waitress. Don't bend at the waist.

Quote Originally Posted by thetravlor View Post
    I don't see an update to the story, didn't Aldi ever send a reply? Remember when you're carrying, squat and bend at the knees like a Playboy Bunny waitress. Don't bend at the waist.
    Read the post above yours and use "Search"

Tat did nothing wrong, but some fools caused him grief.

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    How did this thread go from being about me being hassled at ALDI to whether it is legal to carry at WalMart in New Mexico?

I posted this back in February, and I believe I posted another thread in which I explained that I did receive a response. I now go to ALDI once a week and other than a guard who told me that guns weren't allowed in the store (to which I responded by showing him my reply letter), I haven't had any problems since. It also helps that I've been carrying mostly IWB since then, so that there is less of a print than there was with the Fobus paddle.
    It's a shame you're not left alone to go about your business legally without the feeble-righted annoying you. BTW, I got careless today and got made. I got out of my pickup to walk into a Circle K and had to walk past a group of 4 men talking outside. I spoke to them and walked on in, as I entered the store I heard a remark about a 'shirt-tail' so I checked mine. Sure enough, my untucked shirt had ridden up over the butt of my pistol and my supposedly concealed pistol was now exposed. Absolutely nothing came of it. Two of the men followed my wife and I into the store and I think they looked to see that I had taken care of it, but no mention was made. Of course, I'm in Wickenburg, Arizona--where many OC and who knows how many CC.
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

6. Hassled

Tatted, your letter to the ALDI HQ was brilliant, non-confrontational and very even-handed. I would like your permission to use much the same letter iff I need to in the future. As to the morphing of your letter into another situation, other people have had similar situations and they merely wanted to reinforce your words. Congratulations on the win. Saaalute!
    A man without a gun is a subject; a man with a gun is a citizen.
    I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can keep THE CHANGE.
    An armed society is a polite society.

7. I am a peace officer and I will not patronize businesses that prohibit law abiding citizens from carrying guns. My opinion is that if the ONLY other people in the store who have guns are criminals..... I am in deep trouble.

It would be nice to have one 'sleeper' in the audience who would pitch in when things get out of hand. There have been several documented incidents where Joe citizen jumps in to save a LEO who is having a really bad day.

Remember, the sheep don't like the sheepdog until the wolf comes knocking.

ALDI store located at 3311 Grant St. in Gary, Indiana.
    Can you specify which store this is? I can't find an ALDI at this address. There are several in the area, but none at this address. Just want to make sure where I don't happen to shop there in the future.
    Last edited by {TEX}Hawaii((; 02-16-2009 at 10:48 AM.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"
    -- George Washington

9. [quote=StevePVB;14147]
    Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    The worst part of the encounter, however, was when the store manager told me that among her reasons for not wanting people carrying handguns in the store was that several of the ALDI stores in the area had been robbed recently, and the prohibition served as a safety measure.

QUOTE]

Safety measure?? OK, I get it. As soon as she can put up the no carry signs they won't have to worry about being robbed again. Great strategy!

I'd also add that knowing the place gets robbed frequently wouldn't give the average person a warm fuzzy feeling. After hearing that, I think I'd just find another store...or if you really love this store, conceal better.

Tatted, I search and could not find anywhere on this site where you posted their response. Can you re-post it? Thanks.

My wife and I shop at Aldi's. I carry concealed every time we go.... Hell, I carry concealed as long as I'm awake. But I've never had any problems in over 40 years of carrying. Indiana law does not address open carry, and it's legal if you want to do so. I also know that when you open carry, every other citizen is also within their rights to be concerned about a man with a gun. Simple, conceal it, or carry it open, realizing that most of those who see it are NOT versed in the law, and you may get hassled about it. It would be nice if everyone could / would carry open. I've been around too long to carry open, knowing that an adverse encounter may occur, and then get upset when it does.
    Last edited by Jay; 02-17-2009 at 01:21 PM.
    Only when our arms are sufficient, without doubt, can we be certain, without doubt, that they will never be employed....... John F. Kennedy
    Life Member NRA Life Member Marine Corps League

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast