18 and want my first handgun. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 18 and want my first handgun.

1. Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    I don't know if midwayusa has an FFL or not. I've bought a lot of things from them and they are a very good company. If their website says 18 or older, I'll bet they don't have a license. In that case it would be perfectly legal for them to sell a person 18 years or older ammunition to be used in a handgun.

What Federal law prohibts is an FFL from selling ammo to be used in a handgun to a person under 21. It also makes it illegal for a person to lie to an FFL in regards to a firearms or ammunition purchase. That's it. If you don't lie about anything, then you have broken no laws.

Ammo ordered mail order comes straight to your door, some companies require adult (>18 years old) signature for ammo, some don't. Midwayusa probably does not.

It would be perfectly legal for your dad to use your money to buy you a handgun from a private party - another resident of Florida as well as for you to purchase from a private party once you are 18. Why are you so determined to get a gun from a licensed dealer?
    It's the only way for me to get one because I don't know anybody who would own the particular handgun I'm looking for. There's nothing but pawn shops, a bass pro shops/outdoor world , and a place called "Guns N Knives" where I live. Those are all FFL licensed dealers, correct? I guess there's always finding people to do a private sale using the web, but that's kind of iffy to me, especially when dealing with firearms. In the case of a private sale I would just do it myself though. Are there more options that I am just unaware of?

Quote Originally Posted by rave765 View Post
    It's the only way for me to get one because I don't know anybody who would own the particular handgun I'm looking for. There's nothing but pawn shops, a bass pro shops/outdoor world , and a place called "Guns N Knives" where I live. Those are all FFL licensed dealers, correct? I guess there's always finding people to do a private sale using the web, but that's kind of iffy to me, especially when dealing with firearms. In the case of a private sale I would just do it myself though. Are there more options that I am just unaware of?
    Most states have trading or gun sites specific to their state. I'm a member of a couple that specialize in georgia where I live and have bought from people through their online ads in my area. Firearms & Optics is our out of state trading/selling forum for one of the sites and often has people from surrounding states list stuff for sale. Due to your age it might be prudent to have your dad go with you to reassure the seller or just have your dad buy from the private seller.

4. Quote Originally Posted by rave765 View Post
    Are there more options that I am just unaware of?
    THR - Powered by vBulletin has a pretty good classifieds forum. The Firing Line does too. Many times local shooting clubs/ranges will have bulletin boards or newsletters with for sale ads. Guns - Online Gun Auction - Guns at GunBroker.com and Guns for Sale, Classifieds, Gun Auctions, Shop GunsAmerica might be places to look, just look for non-FFLs in your area.

As a side note, if you give your dad $500 for his birthday or for a Christmas present.... nobody is going to care if he gives you a gun as a gift. The act of him gifting the gun to you consists of him handing you the gun. That's it. No paperwork or anything.

Gunbroker is by far the most popular online firearms sight and a good way to find sellers in your state.

6. Thanks guys

7. Now that the legalities of your situation have been covered by those that are knowledgeable in the FL statues, I can make my suggestion on pistol selection in good conscience.

I really, really, suggest that you do NOT try to start out with a gun chambered in .45ACP unless you are already proficient with a handgun and you know without a shadow of a doubt that you can shoot one adequately. Unless you are used to recoil in a hand gun, the .45ACP is going to be a bit of an unpleasant experience. Stick with a mid range bore size like a 9mm (but NOT the .40S&W- the higher operating pressure makes the recoil a bit snappier than most novice shooters will take) or the .38Special/.357Magnum. They are cheaper to feed (ammo is cheaper), everybody carries it (I've found .38 Special and 9mm ammo in feed stores out in the country right along side .30-30 and 2 3/4" 12 gauge) and there's a BUNCH of different options out there.

I actually suggest a mid size, 4 inch .357magnum revolver as a starter gun.

A wheel gun is far more flexible than a semi auto could ever be when it comes to ammunition. There's no slide to work, so you can load a wheel gun lighter than a semi auto. They also aren't as picky about bullet profile, overall cartridge length or bullet weight. You can shoot a almost zero recoil target load, a round of snakeshot, a mid range semi wadcutter and a full power magnum load one behind the other in a wheel gun. You can't do that in most semi autos because the first two rounds probably wouldn't work the action if it was set up for the last two rounds and you'd be subjecting the gun to an unnecessary beating if you had a light enough recoil spring in it for the first two rounds and then fired the full power magnum load in it.

You can load it with light .38 Special target loads like the 148gr wadcutter and get the recoil down if necessary. You can load the standard pressure .38Special (which is known for being accurate) for learning the basics. Once you are comfortable with shooting and have gotten the basics down, you can step it up in power to the +P .38 or .357 magnum ammunition that are proven self defense loads. With a mid size gun (like the K or L frame Smiths, Ruger Security Six, ....), you have a gun that's big enough to actually shoot a bunch and you will need to shoot a bunch to get proficient. The 4 inch barrel is suggested because that is the best compromise length, in my opinion. Longer barrels are more accurate but unwieldy. Shorter barrels are easier to carry but harder to shoot accurately because of the shorter sight radius and you lose a LOT of velocity once you get under 3 inches.

That being said, let it be known that I am of the, "Big, slow, heavy bullets knocks $#@% down," school of thought rather than the "Small, light, fast bullets makes one $#%^ of a mess when they hit" school of thought. I really like the .45ACP and the revolver rounds like .44 Special and .45 Colt that are its' ballistic counterparts. When things go bump in the night, I grab a pistol chambered in one of those 3 cartridges if I don't broke out the shotgun. But I learned HOW to shoot on the .38/357 wheel guns and a 9mm Browning High Power.

A 9mm would make a nice first gun. It is one of the cheapest rounds to shoot besides .22s. The 9mm is a decent self defence round especially with all the specialized rounds available.

Quote Originally Posted by jlcnuke View Post
    If your dad (or anyone else who may legally purchase it) buys a handgun for you as a gift it is legal. If he buys it for you (i.e. at your behest) then it is a federal crime that you would both be guilty of.
    Who the hell stays awake nights thinking this stupid crap up. I've known this for a while, but it never seamed so utterly ridiculous until I see somebody put it in print.

Funny how a felon can't own a gun, but a felon can be in congress and make gun laws for the rest of us.
    You can run... but you'll just die tired. 3%

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12