18 and want my first handgun.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 18 and want my first handgun.

1. 18 and want my first handgun.

Hey guys, I just signed up, I'm not so sure if this is the right forum to post in but here is a copy pasted question I posted elsewhere. I received a couple mixed answers, so I don't know what to believe. I figure here, on a gun forum, I would get more straight answers. Thanks

I'm 18 and want to own a handgun for target shooting and personal home defense purposes. I will be making some money soon and was considering getting a Glock 30 .45 acp. However, I can't buy one from a dealer legally, nor can I buy any handgun ammo (maybe online?).

I've had firearm experience since I was 7 years old starting with .22 cal pistols and am knowledgeable with firearm safety. I have fired many different calibers of firearms through the years although admittedly it's been several years since I've been to a range. I have a clean record, and plan to keep it that way for the rest of my life.

My question is this : I was considering having my dad buy this handgun for me as a gift and in my name, would I be legal to own it then? I am in Florida. Also, it would be with my money that I'll be making with a job I just got rehired at and am starting this week. I'm not sure if that would be breaking the law or not. If it's against the law I guess I'll just have to wait until I'm 21. I don't plan on carrying concealed as I'd be uncomfortable doing that and I doubt I'm even of age to do that either. If anyone can answer this for me, I would very much appreciate it. Thanks

One last question, that is somewhat related : What are the best brands of ammunition for target practice and home defense?. Ex. FMJ target practice, HP home defense

What state are you in? The laws vary somewhat by state.

4. I'm in Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by rave765 View Post
    I'm in Florida.
    Yeah after re-reading your original post I see that. I must have missed that on first read. If you were in South Carolina, here are the rules you would be looking at,
    1- Cannot buy from federally licenced dealer, by federal law you need to be 21 to do that.
    2- Cannot buy handgun out of state, also a federal rule
    3- Cannot obtain CCW permit untill you are 21
    4- Can legally possess a handgun in SC at age 18. So if you were given a gift by your parent/grand-parent/spouse that would be legal.
    5- Keep in mind that legal ownership and being able to carry a firearms are two legally separate matters.

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    Yeah after re-reading your original post I see that. I must have missed that on first read. If you were in South Carolina, here are the rules you would be looking at,
    1- Cannot buy from federally licenced dealer, by federal law you need to be 21 to do that.
    2- Cannot buy handgun out of state, also a federal rule
    3- Cannot obtain CCW permit untill you are 21
    4- Can legally possess a handgun in SC at age 18. So if you were given a gift by your parent/grand-parent/spouse that would be legal.
    5- Keep in mind that legal ownership and being able to carry a firearms are two legally separate matters.
    If you were going to tell him South Carolina requirements anyway, why did you bother asking him what state he was in?

However, I can't buy one from a dealer legally, nor can I buy any handgun ammo (maybe online?).
    Federal law prohibits an FFL (Federal Firearms License) holder from transferring a handgun, or ammunition intended to be used in a handgun to a person under 21 years of age. In Florida, private gifts and sales from another Florida resident of either a handgun or handgun ammunition is perfectly legal at age of 18. It is also pefectly legal to purchase handgun ammunition from dealers in ammunition only that are not licensed. (There is no license required to sell ammunition only - there is a license required to sell guns at retail and/or to manufacture ammo).

It is perfectly legal for someone else to buy handgun ammo for you from a licensed dealer, so long as no false oral or written statement is made to the dealer regarding the transaction.

Many people will tell you to simply tell the licensed dealer that the ammo is intended for use in a carbine rifle. If that is not your intended use for the ammo, this is a Federal felony, don't do it.

I was considering having my dad buy this handgun for me as a gift and in my name, would I be legal to own it then?
    It would be perfectly legal for your dad (or any other Florida resident) to buy a handgun for their own personal use, which could be to use as a gift to you. This "in your name" stuff does not apply to Florida because Florida has no registration of handguns. There is no such thing as "transfer it into my name" in Florida.

Also, it would be with my money that I'll be making with a job I just got rehired at and am starting this week.
    Now it is no longer a gift, is it? Someone else buying you a handgun from a licensed dealer with your money is a straw purchase and is a Federal crime. It does not matter if you are perfectly legal to purchase, possess or carry that gun yourself, it would still be an illegal transaction.

I'm not sure if that would be breaking the law or not. If it's against the law I guess I'll just have to wait until I'm 21.
    As stated above, if someone buys a gun to provide to you with your money, it's illegal. You don't have to wait until you are 21, though. A private sale or true gift would be perfectly legal.

I don't plan on carrying concealed as I'd be uncomfortable doing that and I doubt I'm even of age to do that either. If anyone can answer this for me, I would very much appreciate it. Thanks
    Carrying a concealed firearm in Florida requires a permit. The age limit for the permit is 21 years old. The exceptions are in Florida Statutes 790.25 and 790.251 which I would suggest that you read.

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes :->2010->Chapter 790 : Online Sunshine

What are the best brands of ammunition for target practice and home defense?. Ex. FMJ target practice, HP home defense
    You are confusing brands with types of ammo. Brands are names such as Remmington, CCI, Federal, Hornady, Etc. I practice with my own reloads which use lead flat nose bullets. Either lead bullets or FMJ bullets are generally what people target practice with. Hollow points (HP) are generally what people carry for self defense. It is important that you shoot enough of your self defense ammo in your gun to make sure that it is reliable in your gun and so that you know where the point of impact vs. point of aim is for that particular ammo. The powder charge and weight of bullet will affect point of impact.

To answer your question regarding brands, I would not buy any ammo associated with the name Remmington. (Well at least their .22 ammo is crap.)

If your dad (or anyone else who may legally purchase it) buys a handgun for you as a gift it is legal. If he buys it for you (i.e. at your behest) then it is a federal crime that you would both be guilty of.

9. I think NavyLT covered the gun law part of your owning the pistol.
    My comment is on the chouice of caliber for a first gun. I believe your first gun should be a .22 LR Revolver, or semi auto .
    With the price of ammo, even with reloading, the cost of ammo for a center fire is prohibitive. The primary reason for a .22 is to be able to shoot 500 rounds in a weekend, week after week until you become proficient with the weapon. Join a club where you can compete and learn proper methods of shooting. Shooting with a NRA approved league will keep you from becoming a legond in your own mind. As you progress in profincency, you'll know when it's time to buy the 45. I know you stated you've shot a .22 before and are familuar with other calibers, but unless you've got money to burn, become an expert with the .22, then use the money you've saved on ammo to buy your first 45. You'll save enough to buy you first 45 as soon as you shoot your first 3000 rounds.
    LUKE 11:21 "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed" Trust in God--Depend on Bushmaster & Sig.40

10. Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Federal law prohibits an FFL (Federal Firearms License) holder from transferring a handgun, or ammunition intended to be used in a handgun to a person under 21 years of age. In Florida, private gifts and sales from another Florida resident of either a handgun or handgun ammunition is perfectly legal at age of 18. It is also pefectly legal to purchase handgun ammunition from dealers in ammunition only that are not licensed. (There is no license required to sell ammunition only - there is a license required to sell guns at retail and/or to manufacture ammo).

It is perfectly legal for someone else to buy handgun ammo for you from a licensed dealer, so long as no false oral or written statement is made to the dealer regarding the transaction.

Many people will tell you to simply tell the licensed dealer that the ammo is intended for use in a carbine rifle. If that is not your intended use for the ammo, this is a Federal felony, don't do it.

It would be perfectly legal for your dad (or any other Florida resident) to buy a handgun for their own personal use, which could be to use as a gift to you. This "in your name" stuff does not apply to Florida because Florida has no registration of handguns. There is no such thing as "transfer it into my name" in Florida.

Now it is no longer a gift, is it? Someone else buying you a handgun from a licensed dealer with your money is a straw purchase and is a Federal crime. It does not matter if you are perfectly legal to purchase, possess or carry that gun yourself, it would still be an illegal transaction.

As stated above, if someone buys a gun to provide to you with your money, it's illegal. You don't have to wait until you are 21, though. A private sale or true gift would be perfectly legal.

Carrying a concealed firearm in Florida requires a permit. The age limit for the permit is 21 years old. The exceptions are in Florida Statutes 790.25 and 790.251 which I would suggest that you read.

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes :->2010->Chapter 790 : Online Sunshine

You are confusing brands with types of ammo. Brands are names such as Remmington, CCI, Federal, Hornady, Etc. I practice with my own reloads which use lead flat nose bullets. Either lead bullets or FMJ bullets are generally what people target practice with. Hollow points (HP) are generally what people carry for self defense. It is important that you shoot enough of your self defense ammo in your gun to make sure that it is reliable in your gun and so that you know where the point of impact vs. point of aim is for that particular ammo. The powder charge and weight of bullet will affect point of impact.

To answer your question regarding brands, I would not buy any ammo associated with the name Remmington. (Well at least their .22 ammo is crap.)

Thanks for your informative post. About the ammunition, I made a mistake with the brand names and the bullet types. I've always thought Remmington to be a fairly good brand, or Winchester. Never tried Federal but I heard they are pretty good but what do I know haha. Would you recommend those hydra shoks for personal defense? (Those are Federal rounds I believe)

If my dad is buying the gun with my money and it's illegal, then I'll just have to pass. I don't need him to lie and say it's his money or any bs like that..too much of a risk to take for me. Good to know about the "in my name stuff" guess it doesn't apply here. It looks like the only way I'll get a handgun is if my dad buys it with his money, then I buy it from him or he simply gives it to me. I don't know any one I could privately buy it from.

One last question, I was looking at ammo online and saw that you have to be 18 or older to purchase ammo online..does that apply to handgun ammo? It was not specific on the type of ammunition. Here's the quote :

"Attention!

You must be 18 or older to order ammunition. Ammunition must ship UPS ground. Due to Department of Transportation regulations, we cannot accept returns on Ammunition. Make sure to use the correct ammunition in your gun. Check local laws before ordering"

^ That was on some .45 acp rounds I was looking at. The website does not sell guns, just ammo and gun accessories. Shop Shooting Supplies | Reloading | Gunsmithing | Hunting gear MidwayUSA <---There's the site

I'm pretty sure ammunition ordered online comes to your front door, and if me ordering handgun ammunition would be against federal law too then I'll have to pass on that as well.

I might just wind up dropping the idea and waiting until I'm 21, or buying a rifle instead. An AR-15 would be pretty neat ! The prices for ammo I've seen are pretty outrageous though..thanks for your response

11. Quote Originally Posted by rave765 View Post
    One last question, I was looking at ammo online and saw that you have to be 18 or older to purchase ammo online..does that apply to handgun ammo? It was not specific on the type of ammunition. Here's the quote :

"Attention!

You must be 18 or older to order ammunition. Ammunition must ship UPS ground. Due to Department of Transportation regulations, we cannot accept returns on Ammunition. Make sure to use the correct ammunition in your gun. Check local laws before ordering"

^ That was on some .45 acp rounds I was looking at. The website does not sell guns, just ammo and gun accessories. Shop Shooting Supplies | Reloading | Gunsmithing | Hunting gear MidwayUSA <---There's the site

I'm pretty sure ammunition ordered online comes to your front door, and if me ordering handgun ammunition would be against federal law too then I'll have to pass on that as well.
    I don't know if midwayusa has an FFL or not. I've bought a lot of things from them and they are a very good company. If their website says 18 or older, I'll bet they don't have a license. In that case it would be perfectly legal for them to sell a person 18 years or older ammunition to be used in a handgun.

What Federal law prohibts is an FFL from selling ammo to be used in a handgun to a person under 21. It also makes it illegal for a person to lie to an FFL in regards to a firearms or ammunition purchase. That's it. If you don't lie about anything, then you have broken no laws.

Ammo ordered mail order comes straight to your door, some companies require adult (>18 years old) signature for ammo, some don't. Midwayusa probably does not.

It would be perfectly legal for your dad to use your money to buy you a handgun from a private party - another resident of Florida as well as for you to purchase from a private party once you are 18. Why are you so determined to get a gun from a licensed dealer?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast