Which Compact gun have MANUAL safety?? - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Which Compact gun have MANUAL safety??

Don't know if any ladies have chimed in for you. I currently carry a Bersa 380 and will never give it up. I read you had trouble with the range one, but I've never had a problem with mine in over 500 rnds. It's not quite pocket carry so I've been looking and trying and fallen for the Sig P238. I'll be investing in it VERY soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Yrose View Post
    Don't know if any ladies have chimed in for you. I currently carry a Bersa 380 and will never give it up. I read you had trouble with the range one, but I've never had a problem with mine in over 500 rnds. It's not quite pocket carry so I've been looking and trying and fallen for the Sig P238. I'll be investing in it VERY soon!
    She really liked the feel of the Bersa, especially the extra piece on the clip. From what I have heard & read, the Bersa 380 is a rock solid gun. The one she tried, being a range rental, has been badly abused & neglected. I can't imagine how many thousands of round its gone though. Her carry method will either be a pancake or an IWB. She usually wears baggy shirts so it should conceal well.

I appreciate the input from the female perspective.

4. I suggest the Walther PPK

Although you said she was not able to use the sights very well, perhaps she should give the PPK another try. I often carry a Sig P229 but in warm weather or while wearing a suit, I carry a stainless Interarms PPK in an Alessi pocket holster or a SmartCarry. It is compact, accurate, has a very smooth trigger, and has a manual safety which I also prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by jlutin View Post
    Although you said she was not able to use the sights very well, perhaps she should give the PPK another try. I often carry a Sig P229 but in warm weather or while wearing a suit, I carry a stainless Interarms PPK in an Alessi pocket holster or a SmartCarry. It is compact, accurate, has a very smooth trigger, and has a manual safety which I also prefer.
    I still would sugest a Glock over either of those options.

6. A female friend of mine owns the Bersa .380 and loves it as it's a good fit for her hands and the recoil isn't that bad. The floor plate on the magazine offers that additional gripping room as well. They have put more than a thousand rounds in it without any feed issues or other problems. Range guns can be a crap shoot depending on how well they are cared for. I've heard good things about the sigs too but I have seen where some are DA only but I personally prefer DA to SA.

+1 on the Sig P238. It's a 1911-style 380 pocket pistol, which unlike the Ruger LCP, the 238 has actual usable sights. It's a great little gun.

The S&W Bodyguard 380 also has an external safety - and a built in laser. Very nice gun.
    "They who give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin, 1775

I have a LCP CT on it....in a holster, you'd REALLY have to try to pull that trigger.

The Sig P238 is a GREAT gun, with one exception, it's single action only! So she's either have to carry cocked and locked OR cock it before shooting...That's the only thing that kept me away from that one.

At first I carried the LCP with no chambered round as I too was very, very concerned over the "no safety". That lasted approximately one day! Then I was perfectly fine with it and I have it in a pocket holster right now....

But it's all about what she is comfortable with! The Bersa is a nice gun and I've heard great things about it...I've heard a lot of people don't like "safeties" on their carry gun but to each their own....

Good luck in your search....I don't think you can go wrong with any of the one's that have been mentioned.

Has she considered the uber-reliable SIG P239?

I carry the diminutive P238 as a backup but I'm not sure I'd want to depend on the .380ACP for my primary. With the P239, you'll get a lot more smack with a 9mm Luger chambering in a weapon which isn't that much larger than the .380. Granted, no manual safety; however, there are four separate safety features...decocking lever, firing pin safety, safety intercept notch and trigger bar disconnect. Available versions...double-action/single-action or double-action only.

See this ShootingTimes article which does a good job of explaining SIG's DAK trigger system. The repeat-strike capability is particularly nice. Plus, 9mm ammo is never out of stock and is typically cheaper than .380ACP which holds down practice costs. And without frequent/regular sessions at the range, she'll never be fully prepared to use the weapon if the need arises.

3X PM

Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    Has she considered the uber-reliable SIG P239?
    Actually she is considering a sig 232. Fortunately, the manual safety is no longer a requirement. Now she is looking for fit & feel. I don't worry too much about here using a .380 since 99% of the time she is with me & I carry a .40 or a .357. I'm just happy that should something happen she can defend herself or back me up.
    The quest continues....

P232...the most aesthetically-pleasing handgun SIG makes. I've only shot a couple magazines through one but I don't think I could get used to that unusual (for many Americans) magazine release on the heel.

OTOH, I totally agree, it's important to get something she likes, feels comfortable carrying, can consistently hit what she's aiming at, will practice with frequently and will always carry.

A handgun left at home because she's not happy with it will invariably not be available when really needed.

Good luck with the search.

And let us know what you finally choose.

3X PM

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast