Remington 700
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remington 700

Remington 700

I just watched the NBC National News tonight and was surprised to see that one of the lead stories was about a supposed cover up by Remington regarding the 700 model. There are countless thousands of this bolt action out there. Accidental discharge is the claim. The news tonight even showed a 700 firing by releasing the safety!
    They said that one man in particular has been working on a accidental death case involving this issue for over 10 years!
    This rifle is a Remington flagship. Same as the Model 70 Winchester. Am I nuts or has the 700 been in the limelight before? I do not remember hearing about this problem.
    WHEN YOU TAKE IT FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS

Just was reading up on this-has something to do with trigger connector- www.msnbc.com/I'd/39762676/ns/business-cnbc_tv

I saw it to but didn't watch the hour-long CNBC special since I figured it was going to be all about how guns are evil overall.

If (big [email protected] if) the rifle is defective Remington owes everyone an explanation and need to fix it. What got me was that they said there were memos about this issue going back to 1948!

That said, there is no excuse for someone accidently being killed by this weapon regardless of a design fault. If you follow Gun Safety Rule #1 you NEVER point a weapon at something you do not want to shoot. I have nothing but sympathy for the family who allegedly lost their child to an accident with this weapon but you MUST follow Gun Safety Rule #1. I was also taught to never trust a mechanical safety.

None of this excuses the rifle firing when the safety is released or any other time except when the trigger is pulled. That ain't supposed to happen.

Isn't the 700 basically an updated 1898 Mauser design?

handgonnetoter Guest
    I haven't heard anything about the Model 700, but I did get a recall notice about the - now discontinued - Model 710 doing that sort of thing. I had a Model 710 in .30-06, but never noticed that happening.

6. Hello,

My name is Colleen and I do digital work for Remington. Take a look at this Remington video as a response to the CNBC biased program.

Remington

Best,
    Colleen

Quote Originally Posted by mnpatterson View Post
    Hello,

My name is Colleen and I do digital work for Remington. Take a look at this Remington video as a response to the CNBC biased program.

Remington

Best,
    Colleen
    Colleen,

IMHO the video above simply "shoots the messenger", who we realize is just a reporter.

My question to Remington is..."What about the seemingly endless list of incidents with the 700." Are each of these just some kind of plot? I doubt it seriously.

I watched the entire hour-long show last night and was astounded by Remington's denial of what appear to be legitimate issues, law suits, and charges against Remington.

As a long-time NRA member and obviously a supporter of gun ownership and the 2nd amendment, I still contend that Remington needs to face these charges...not with denials or attempts to discredit the messenger, but with an honest approach to answering some pretty tough questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowjiber View Post
    Colleen,

IMHO the video above simply "shoots the messenger", who we realize is just a reporter.
    the reporter just happened to fine all these guns fireing by their self on tape?

My question to Remington is..."What about the seemingly endless list of incidents with the 700." Are each of these just some kind of plot? I doubt it seriously.

No one want's to admit they they may have had a dirty gun or their finger on the trigger

I watched the entire hour-long show last night and was astounded by Remington's denial of what appear to be legitimate issues, law suits, and charges against Remington.

When they checked hundreds of guns they could not get them to fire without pulling the trigger. good lawyers and stupid jurers reward big money. (woman wins lawsuit because the coffee was to hot?)

As a long-time NRA member and obviously a supporter of gun ownership and the 2nd amendment, I still contend that Remington needs to face these charges...not with denials or attempts to discredit the messenger, but with an honest approach to answering some pretty tough questions.
    you want them to face charges because someone shot their kid and blamed the gun? Tell me why anyone would point their gun in the direction of their kid or anyone else to begin with.

If you served in any branch of the Military, THANK YOU

I saw the program also... I shot a 700 .270 for years.Killed alot of PA deer with that gun, NEVER had a problem. Wish I'd never sold it !

NEVER BEEN REPRODUCED: Remington's response to hit piece...

"Both Remington and experts hired by plaintiff attorneys have conducted testing on guns returned from the field which were alleged to have fired without a trigger pull, and neither has ever been able to duplicate such an event on guns which had been properly maintained and which had not been altered after sale."

I own a beautiful 30-06 700 BDL and bought my nephew a .270 synthetic for his 16th birthday. Best out of the box bolt action available for a reasonable price.

Source Here:
    CheaperThanDirt Forum : Remington Responds to CNBC Hit Piece - View Post

One of the tenets of service engineers when it comes to fixing a problem is "reproducibility". To fix a problem, it has to occur AGAIN to be fixed. Since the media and those involved in the lawsuit have NEVER been able to re-create the problem, it stands that there is no problem.

This story has been around for some time now...too long, imho.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast