Traveling w\ CCW permit... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Traveling w\ CCW permit...

No hard feelings here...So I pick up an Idaho permit, too. Are you saying having a permit from Utah, good in 30 states. is not worth having, unless you have your home state's permit, too?

I posted a URL yesterday that would answer the OP question but I guess the Admin's decided it wasn't on topic or perhaps broke some rule anyway it never did show up.

I live in Kansas and to be valid to CCW in Kansas (per statute) I must have a Kansas CCW permit - only.

My Kansas CCW permit has resiprosity with "X many other" states in the US.... but so I can have additonal state CCW coverage, I also have my Florida non-resident CCW permit.

So... depending on the state I am traveling in I will show the appropiate CCW permit. If the state I am in recognizes my Kansas permit, I will show that one as it is my primary permit and matches my driver's license. If I am in a state that does not recognize my Kansas permit but does my non-resident Florida, then of course I only show that one as my Kansas permit means nothing to that state.

States add and delete their resiprosity agreements from time to time, so one has to be up to date on them before traveling (by either calling the appropiate state's permiting department or the appropiate website).

It is impossible for LEO's to always know and memorize every statute and CCW rule out there... so that is why you read and hear people printing off the various statutes and rules before they travel in case they need to refer to them (in a polite way of course) in order to reduce any "issues" that may arise from a mis-understanding... and they do happen.
    Springfield XDM 40cal / Crossbreed "QuikClip" Holster (IWB) / High Noon "Slide Guard" Holster (OWB) / Galco Single Mag Carrier (Horizontal) / Gould & Goodrich Gun Belt (Leather & Polymer) / Looper Gun Belt (Leather & Polymer)

Quote Originally Posted by DWB.357 View Post
    Question every officer will ask is....... "Why don't YOU have a permit from your own home state?" hhhhmmmmmm?

The answer to that is up here in North Idaho, we are a few minutes from Spokane Washington...which does not recognize Idaho's permit...REALLY?
    Simple answer is because you get better coverage with UT than with ID.

If your trip is in the Spring the only state you will have an "issue" with is IL....assuming WI will be out of route. IL will be the only state that doesn't accept UT....also assuming another state doesn't drop reciprocity with UT.

i would print out every states state police or CCW issuing authority office numbers and also find what the statute number is and put it all in a binder marked State Weapons laws. Then call each state to double check and make sure that you can get the persons name you spoke with, time & date stamp it. That way when and if you do get pulled over you can give the officer that information. make it as easy as possible for you to be sent on your way.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Simple answer is because you get better coverage with UT than with ID.

If your trip is in the Spring the only state you will have an "issue" with is IL....assuming WI will be out of route. IL will be the only state that doesn't accept UT....also assuming another state doesn't drop reciprocity with UT.
    Please allow me to state for clarity of all readers that

ILLINOIS does not recognize any permit, period, and that
    ILLINOIS does NOT allow any loaded weapons in the passenger compartment of any vehicle, period.

Illinois does NOT recognize the "right to protect yourself while inside your vehicle", period, even if you are an off duty police officer.
    IF you get caught with a weapon in Illinois, you ARE going to jail, immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post
    Please allow me to state for clarity of all readers that

ILLINOIS does not recognize any permit, period, and that
    ILLINOIS does NOT allow any loaded weapons in the passenger compartment of any vehicle, period.

Illinois does NOT recognize the "right to protect yourself while inside your vehicle", period, even if you are an off duty police officer.
    IF you get caught with a weapon in Illinois, you ARE going to jail, immediately.
    That sucks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12