Deprived of Ability to Defend Onesself

Thread: Deprived of Ability to Defend Onesself

1. Deprived of Ability to Defend Onesself

I live in Chehalis, WA, and Chehalis and Centralia are listed as the twin cities. We are served by a transit system called Twin Transit. This is a very nice system, featuring modern comfortable coaches, kneeling buses and lifts for loading and unloading mobility scooters and power chairs. I only have one problem with Twin Transits. In the list of rules for TT, it states that weapons are prohibited on the buses. Not only am I stripped of my ability to defend myself on the bus. but my weapon does not suddenly materialize when I leave the bus. I guess I just have to carry concealed and hope no one braces me.
    A man without a gun is a subject; a man with a gun is a citizen.
    I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can keep THE CHANGE.
    An armed society is a polite society.

Quote Originally Posted by wuzfuz View Post
    I live in Chehalis, WA, and Chehalis and Centralia are listed as the twin cities. We are served by a transit system called Twin Transit. This is a very nice system, featuring modern comfortable coaches, kneeling buses and lifts for loading and unloading mobility scooters and power chairs. I only have one problem with Twin Transits. In the list of rules for TT, it states that weapons are prohibited on the buses. Not only am I stripped of my ability to defend myself on the bus. but my weapon does not suddenly materialize when I leave the bus. I guess I just have to carry concealed and hope no one braces me.
    wuzfuz,

Twin Transit is a public transportation system operated by the Lewis County and Centralia and Chehalis city governments.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/publications...mmary/Twin.pdf

As a subdivision of a county and municipal government, lawful handgun possession on the buses, either openly carried (loaded only allowed with a CPL) or concealed with a CPL is protected by Washington's preemption statute, RCW 9.41.290 and cannot be prohibited. Rifles would be allowed to, but must be unloaded, regardless of CPL status. County and City governments can only regulate firearms possession and carry in places they are allowed to by RCW 9.41.300 and public transportation is not one of those places.

Look carefully at the signs posted, are you sure they do not say "illegal firearms possession is prohibited"? I know Tacoma public transportation has those signs posted as well as Washington State Ferries. That sign in now way prohibits a person from open carrying, all that is prohibited is "illegal firearms"!

If you are disabled and need the bus for transportation, i.e can't drive or walk very well, I'd imagine that you are too diabled to be defending yourself with bare fists either. Seems to me that we have an ADA issue here.