Chambered Round: Bullet Retracting into Case - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Chambered Round: Bullet Retracting into Case

Quote Originally Posted by benjammin View Post
    IIRC Federal says their SD rounds are only good for 2 chamberings before setback occurs, I would guess others are similar. I only chamber SD rounds one time for carry, then they go into a box to be shot at the next range session.
    What lousy, poorly crimped ammo!

They need to set their crimp die down a little.

-Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Bighouse Doc View Post

-Doc
    May be a pressure issue. Increasing the crimp would increase the case pressure without adding to performance. (I'm guessing you knew that).

I wonder if a different powder (a less-dense one that fills the case) would help? The 1911 in .45 ACP seems to be prone to this because with modern propellants, you can't fill the case completely, plus the feed ramp is steep and the .45 has that big radius on the front.

I have a different take. I re-chamber the same round repeatedly because I am more concerned about the round failing to feed due to the reduced length. If I chamber it by hand that takes feeding out of the equation. That said if I notice setback I retire the round.

Set back can happen by allowing the slide to come forward to chamber the round off the top of the magazine at full speed many times on the same round.

Try hand assisting the first round by holding the slide and slowly allowing it to come to battery. Alternate the chambered round each time you have to unload. I have a bunch of rounds that have been the #1 in and still measure the same OAL using this method..
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Just my opinion from over 4 decades of experience.

QUOTE I would probbaly say this happened after about 10 or so chambering of the rounds, QUOTE

Please stop playing with your gun.

Why are you constantly playing with your gun,
    unloading and loading the pipe, making the "dropped slide" slam the bullet back?

It is NOT an AMMO problem.
    Cartridges are designed to be slammed into the pipe ONCE> when shot, so they don't have to go in slowly.

Please stop playing with your gun.

Clean it every couple months,
    oil it,
    load it,
    carry it,
    AND LEAVE IT ALONE.

If you want to play with a gun,
    buy a second one with special "PLAY BULLETS" to practice gun handling with.

Oh ya, been there done that, decades ago.
    Last edited by Gordon Shumway; 10-30-2010 at 12:42 PM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by Bighouse Doc View Post

-Doc
    MOST auto calibers are NOT roll crimped, since they head space on the case mouth.

If you roll crimp them then the round will go too far into the chamber and the bullet will sit against the rifling lands or wedge the roll crimp into the chamber lip.

Also the round should ALWAYS slide off the mag as the gun was designed to do. period.
    NEVER load a round by fingers and then drop the slide making the extractor snap over the cartridge rim.
    Neither the gun nor the cartridge were designed to work that way. You are asking for trouble.
    Last edited by Gordon Shumway; 10-30-2010 at 12:55 PM. Reason: duh

Gordon, you have a point. However, I prefer to not leave my pistol loaded when I have to leave it in my vehicle, as when stopping at the post office or some business which prohibits firearms. The first round in the magazine is likely to be loaded into the chamber several times a week. I have never observed any setback bullets from repeated loading. If Federal advises against repeated loading of their cartridges, that is just one more reason I won't use their ammo. I quit buying that brand decades ago when I noticed the powder they used in their .22 ammo was dirtier than anything else I had used.

Largely depends on the weapon. Some chambers are just that way and others are fully supported.

I can rack cartridges all day long in my H&K pistols and they will never deep seat a bullet. Same with my Glocks.

I can't say that though about some of my 1911's.
    "When a government robs Peter to pay Paul it will alway's have the support of Paul" George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Ropadope View Post
    Largely depends on the weapon. Some chambers are just that way and others are fully supported.

I can rack cartridges all day long in my H&K pistols and they will never deep seat a bullet. Same with my Glocks.

I can't say that though about some of my 1911's.
    Correct. If you look at the feed ramp of the 1911, the cartridge trys to "nose down" when stripped off the mag, this adds extra push to the bullet. Chip McCormick Shooting Star magazines reduce this tendency.

Quote Originally Posted by reb55 View Post
    Gordon, you have a point. However, I prefer to not leave my pistol loaded when I have to leave it in my vehicle, as when stopping at the post office or some business which prohibits firearms. The first round in the magazine is likely to be loaded into the chamber several times a week. I have never observed any setback bullets from repeated loading. If Federal advises against repeated loading of their cartridges, that is just one more reason I won't use their ammo. I quit buying that brand decades ago when I noticed the powder they used in their .22 ammo was dirtier than anything else I had used.
    I don't feel that my weapon will be stolen out of my car when I am in the PO for 5 minutes. Usually I avoid businesses that openly refuse entry to concealed weapons, since basicly I would be financially supporting a political liberal whose philosophy opposes the Constitution of the United States of America, and denies my unalienable and written civil rights. I nicely let the owners know it too, and some have removed their signs, when they realize that it IS costing them $$$$$. If we ALL did that, maybe things would change. (such as Wally World. They go so many complaints, they took the signs down. Commie buggers. I only go there when I must.)

As for loading and unloading.
    I always load the chamber by allowing the slide to strip the cartridge off the mag as the weapon was designed to do. In doing so, the first two rounds rotate firing order.

I will reiterate for the readers:
    Finger loading an autoloader therefore making the extractor snap over the cartridge rim is asking for trouble.
    When extraction fails people always blame the weapon. They never admit that they snaped the extractor 500 times before it failed.

Dissing an entire brand because of a rimfire soot is illogical.
    Rimfire plinking ammo is usually dirty= cheap$. High grade target ammo is almost sterile.

Powder varies considerably from caliber to caliber, and from different loads within each caliber. MOST brand names, within each caliber, offer different powders. Such as std., +P, +P+, subsonic, low flash, different burn rates for various weight bullets, different burn rates for short barrels, etc.

Sometimes people complain about soot, or even the price$, of their carry load. How many are you going to shoot anyway? I practice with cheapo, and carry the $2 each rounds.

When I used to shoot 600-1,000 rounds of 45 acp a week of reloads, once I got a batch that sounded like a 30-06. The first round scared the crap out of everybody on the range. ouch. When chronographed they were just standard velocity 830 fps. The powder was the difference in the noise. I told my commercial reloader not to use that powder any more. HE laughed.
    I also got a batch once that smoked like a black powder civil war re-enactment. Boy was I the hit of the range that day.

FYI I am a brand loyalist to Remington for any carry.
    Remington's philosophy is bullet ogive design to feed in any weapon. They might not be the most exotic bullets, but their hollow points will feed 100% in any gun, even unthroated 1911s in 45 or 9mm.

The most important things for a carry weapon are:
    #1 It must go bang EVERY time.
    #2 YOU must hit what you are aiming at.

Remember, an eyeball hit with a 22 is better than a miss with a 44 magnum.
    You may quote me.

Thanks for reading. Sorry to be so long winded, but it might help just one person.

Quote Originally Posted by 901-Memphis View Post
    Maybe its because of my fully supported chamber and something to do with the recoil spring strength?

You don't carry yours in a Sigma just like mine do you, or is yours a different model?
    That's the puppy. Same gun. But I don't keep a round chambered when I'm near people. Only in bear country cuz I know a bear won't take it away and use it on me. So yours might get more action than mine.
    You can run... but you'll just die tired. 3%

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast