Chambered Round: Bullet Retracting into Case - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Chambered Round: Bullet Retracting into Case

Quote Originally Posted by 901-Memphis View Post
    I am having a problem with my Speer Gold Dots. My chambered round after a few months of carry is starting to go a few 16ths of an inch back into the casing. This is the 2nd round this has happened to and i just changed it out for a fresh one and put the ones that are getting pushed back up in storage.

Is this a problem or can i carry the round with the bullet pushing further into the casing than the manufacture put it?

I can get a picture if i need to or maybe measure how much its retracting.
    I carry a Taurua PT 111 Mil. Pro. in 9 mm and I carry one in the tube with Speer Gold Dots and have not had this problem , what gun do you have ? and yes a picture would help.
    [

Here's the bottom line of the bullet "push back" situation.

The bullet having been pushed back into the case causes a great increase of detonation pressure, maybe far exceeding a +P rating of your round or the capabilities of your gun. At best it will slam your slide back at increased velocity.

From the common sense safety stand point.....

The round is UNSAFE to fire and should be thrown away, that is, disposed of properly.

YOU have to decide IF you want to chance firing that "set back" bullet and maybe damage your gun or hurt yourself.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post
    The round is UNSAFE to fire and should be thrown away, that is, disposed of properly.
    There have been plenty of options presented to avoid throwing the set back rounds away... any reloader would be more than happy to accept the set back rounds for reuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post

From the common sense safety stand point.....

The round is UNSAFE to fire and should be given to a reloader.
    There ya go.... fixed it for ya

If you reload......take the round apart, charge it, re-seat, and re-crimp it, and it'll be just fine.
    Only when our arms are sufficient, without doubt, can we be certain, without doubt, that they will never be employed....... John F. Kennedy
    Life Member NRA Life Member Marine Corps League

6. Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    If you reload......take the round apart, charge it, re-seat, and re-crimp it, and it'll be just fine.
    Great minds obviously think the same.

You don't even have to go so far as taking the round apart. A couple whacks in a kinetic bullet puller will move the bullet out far enough to then re-seat and re-crimp.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Great minds obviously think the same.

You don't even have to go so far as taking the round apart. A couple whacks in a kinetic bullet puller will move the bullet out far enough to then re-seat and re-crimp.

Works for me, sir... recycling, and all that
    Only when our arms are sufficient, without doubt, can we be certain, without doubt, that they will never be employed....... John F. Kennedy

8. Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Works for me, sir... recycling, and all that
    So the answer is: to properly "dispose of" all those "dangerous rounds" with the bullets set back in them, send 1/2 to Jay and 1/2 to NavyLT!

So the answer is: to properly "dispose of" all those "dangerous rounds" with the bullets set back in them, send 1/2 to Jay and 1/2 to NavyLT!
    As in most joint operations, inter-service cooperation works every time.... *salute*, sir

There have been plenty of options presented to avoid throwing the set back rounds away... any reloader would be more than happy to accept the set back rounds for reuse.
    Much good advice on this column.

Facts remain: 98 % will shoot a deep seated bullet. Admit it guys. You all have done it.

Getting amateur shooters to "properly dispose" of their bad rounds is like encouraging a liberal to vote conservative:
    Even though it makes good sense, they are going to stick to their old ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post
    Much good advice on this column.

Facts remain: 98 % will shoot a deep seated bullet. Admit it guys. You all have done it.

Getting amateur shooters to "properly dispose" of their bad rounds is like encouraging a liberal to vote conservative:
    Even though it makes good sense, they are going to stick to their old ways.
    Dillon Precision sells a kinetic bullet puller for about $30.00... You seem to have it in your head that 98% of the site members are ignorant to this condition and the damage/injury it could cause.

Hummm. I'll be happy to volunteer for reloading component reclamation.

http://www.handguninfo.com/Archive/w...el.357.no9.htm

Some interesting info. Lots of experiments have been done in this space.
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast