Chambered Round: Bullet Retracting into Case - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Chambered Round: Bullet Retracting into Case

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post
    Facts remain: 98 % will shoot a deep seated bullet.
    If you have them handy, I'd be interested in seeing the sources for your statement.
    Only when our arms are sufficient, without doubt, can we be certain, without doubt, that they will never be employed....... John F. Kennedy
    Life Member NRA Life Member Marine Corps League

So the setback changes the pressure of the round meaning it has more velocity when fired?

This would cause more pressure in the barrel meaning the barrel is the only thing that is seeing the stress in the matter and it could "possibly" cause a failure of the barrel which means physical injury probably to the hand or more likely the barrel could crack?

Quote Originally Posted by 901-Memphis View Post
    So the setback changes the pressure of the round meaning it has more velocity when fired?

This would cause more pressure in the barrel meaning the barrel is the only thing that is seeing the stress in the matter and it could "possibly" cause a failure of the barrel which means physical injury probably to the hand or more likely the barrel could crack?
    Yes sir, that's pretty much it. Just playing with semantics, if you would substitute "chamber pressure" for "velocity", I think it might be more accurate, as if the chamber ruptures, there will be much less velocity, due to the gasses no longer being contained behind the bullet.

Just my unsubstantiated opinion.......
    Only when our arms are sufficient, without doubt, can we be certain, without doubt, that they will never be employed....... John F. Kennedy

5. Quote Originally Posted by 901-Memphis View Post

Glock 22 KABOOM | The Firearm Blog

As Jay said, overpressure is more of a problem in the chamber than in the barrel.

don't fire pushed back bullets

Pressure does mean more velocity, but the barrel is not the main problem. Most will easily stand twice the rated SAAMI pressure.

I think we should all understand that the excess pressure "might" cause an unsupported cartridge case, such as in a 1911 style pistol (and others like it), to blow out the cartridge and expend its hot gasses into the magazine........ and maybe a bigger boom if the top round explodes..

Ever see a 1911 blow out a cartridge case? Not pretty,
    even if it doesn't cause the top round in the mag to blow.

Years ago we preferred reloaded .45 acp Israeli brass (marked TZZ) since the case was much thicker than US brass. Reloaders eventually stole all our brass and send us thinner stuff.

If you are a 1911 fan, Unless you have a fully ramped barrel, don't shoot more than factory +P ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    If you have them handy, I'd be interested in seeing the sources for your statement.
    Can you prove they don't?

Sorry, just acting like a liberal, to be funny.

Seriously, most people I have ever talked to have admitted that they have fired a set back round or 50.

Also this might be a very good time to remind everyone that military ammo from overseas is usually loaded to higher pressures than SAAMI specs.

Watch that surplus military 9mm European stuff. It is loaded to machine gun pressures. They come out there like a .38 Super +P. Not goodf or a 9mm handgun.

Also military 5.56 rounds for M16 etc, are 10% higher pressure than SAAMI specs for .223 Remington,
    PLUS the military round has a different headspacing/ogive which increases pressure even more when used in a .223 chambered weapon because the bullet itself is so long it hits the rifling when chambered.So there is an additional pressure spike before the bullet starts to move.

Does most everybody shoot 5.56 in a .223?
    Sure.
    SAAMI says UNSAFE.

It doesn't blow up, but it slams the bolt back = vigorously.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post
    Can you prove they don't?

Sorry, just acting like a liberal, to be funny.

Seriously, most people I have ever talked to have admitted that they have fired a set back round or 50.

Respectfully sir, I don't need to prove anything. YOU made the statement...
    "Facts remain: 98 % will shoot a deep seated bullet."
    I simply want to know more about that "fact"

The Sigma i use these Gold Dots in is known for its fully supported chamber, would this still be a problem even firing my setback rounds at the range?

handgonnetoter Guest
    I am having a problem with my Speer Gold Dots. My chambered round after a few months of carry is starting to go a few 16ths of an inch back into the casing. This is the 2nd round this has happened to and i just changed it out for a fresh one and put the ones that are getting pushed back up in storage.

Is this a problem or can i carry the round with the bullet pushing further into the casing than the manufacture put it?

I can get a picture if i need to or maybe measure how much its retracting.
    I only carry a "set" of ammo for so long. I shoot it off at the range and load up with some fresh self defense ammo. I know with Hornady "Critical Defense" JHP ammo, the rounds seem to force their way into the breach on my Kel Tec P-11. They are the only ones to seem to do that, even when I chamber some big fat 147 grain stuff. Must be the bullet shape.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast