Chambered Round: Bullet Retracting into Case - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Chambered Round: Bullet Retracting into Case

Quote Originally Posted by 901-Memphis View Post
    The Sigma i use these Gold Dots in is known for its fully supported chamber, would this still be a problem even firing my setback rounds at the range?
    Well, if I were in your shoes, I'd ask around and find someone who reloads that caliber, and ask them if they'd re-seat and re-crimp the bullets for you. If you can't find someone, safely dispose of the rounds. If nothing else, law enforcement will take care of that for you. I would advise against shooting set back rounds. Risking damage to the gun, or more importantly your person, is hardly worth a handful of cartridges.... just my opinion, of course...
    Only when our arms are sufficient, without doubt, can we be certain, without doubt, that they will never be employed....... John F. Kennedy
    Life Member NRA Life Member Marine Corps League

3. Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Well, if I were in your shoes, I'd ask around and find someone who reloads that caliber, and ask them if they'd re-seat and re-crimp the bullets for you. If you can't find someone, safely dispose of the rounds. If nothing else, law enforcement will take care of that for you. I would advise against shooting set back rounds. Risking damage to the gun, or more importantly your person, is hardly worth a handful of cartridges.... just my opinion, of course...
    I agree 100%.

How would i safely dispose of the cartridges, its only 2 rounds

Quote Originally Posted by 901-Memphis View Post
    How would i safely dispose of the cartridges, its only 2 rounds
    Put the two rounds in a zip-lok bag, spray some WD-40 in the bag to cover the rounds, seal it up and lay it aside for a day, then throw 'em in the trash..... or give 'em to a cop, and ask him if he would see that they rounds are destroyed.
    Only when our arms are sufficient, without doubt, can we be certain, without doubt, that they will never be employed....... John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post
    Much good advice on this column.

Facts remain: 98 % will shoot a deep seated bullet. Admit it guys. You all have done it.

Getting amateur shooters to "properly dispose" of their bad rounds is like encouraging a liberal to vote conservative:
    Even though it makes good sense, they are going to stick to their old ways.
    I probably have if it isn't bad enough to be visible. When I said earlier that I chamber the same round repeatedly, this assumes that I don't see visible setback in the round. If the bullet is visibly set back I retire it.

I just don't put a caliper on the round to check for setback. Honestly I've never noticed it on anything but .45 ACP in an old (WWII era) 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Put the two rounds in a zip-lok bag, spray some WD-40 in the bag to cover the rounds, seal it up and lay it aside for a day, then throw 'em in the trash..... or give 'em to a cop, and ask him if he would see that they rounds are destroyed.
    You have got to be kidding.

From this point on you have removed yourself from the realm of credible posts.

Try it. Then run yer mouth. Y'know, I shouldn't have said that. I should have said, I've tried WD40 on several occasions, on a few rounds, and NONE of those rounds would fire. Credibility is for each to assign, not for you to declare.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Put the two rounds in a zip-lock bag, spray some WD-40 in the bag to cover the rounds, seal it up and lay it aside for a day, then throw 'em in the trash..... or give 'em to a cop, and ask him if he would see that they rounds are destroyed.
    us jumpers has to stick together :)
    [

Quote Originally Posted by TnRebel View Post
    us jumpers has to stick together :)

Semper Fi, sir...

Having today spoken with two commercial reloaders about the WD-40 issue:

Each stated that a primer must be tight enough to stand 20-30,000 psi and not blow out around it,
    and
    bullets properly seated and "sealed" (most premium commercial ammo)

WILL NOT seccumb to WD-40 nor "gun scrubber"...

and one used the words "urban myth".

Personally I really don't care one way or the other as "oiling and tossing in the trash" is not proper disposal.

Thank you to you and every other US military person for your service to our country.

(I was behind you...... oh ya, Nixon said we weren't there)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast