Chambered Round: Bullet Retracting into Case
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chambered Round: Bullet Retracting into Case

Chambered Round: Bullet Retracting into Case

I am having a problem with my Speer Gold Dots. My chambered round after a few months of carry is starting to go a few 16ths of an inch back into the casing. This is the 2nd round this has happened to and i just changed it out for a fresh one and put the ones that are getting pushed back up in storage.

Is this a problem or can i carry the round with the bullet pushing further into the casing than the manufacture put it?

I can get a picture if i need to or maybe measure how much its retracting.

Each time you chamber a round from the magazine, the nose of the round hits the feed ramp. Repeated cycling of that same round is "hammering" the bullet back into the case. In effect, the deeper "seating" of that round will cause an overpressure condition when the round is fired, and could eventually become dangerous. If you reload, pull the bullet and re-seat and re-crimp it. I'd not fire the round that's seated too deep. Alternate which round you feed into the chamber.
    Only when our arms are sufficient, without doubt, can we be certain, without doubt, that they will never be employed....... John F. Kennedy
    Life Member NRA Life Member Marine Corps League

Quote Originally Posted by 901-Memphis View Post
    I am having a problem with my Speer Gold Dots. My chambered round after a few months of carry is starting to go a few 16ths of an inch back into the casing. This is the 2nd round this has happened to and i just changed it out for a fresh one and put the ones that are getting pushed back up in storage.

Is this a problem or can i carry the round with the bullet pushing further into the casing than the manufacture put it?

I can get a picture if i need to or maybe measure how much its retracting.
    This is a problem. When the bullet is pushed back into the shell like that it can change the pressure of the charge when fired. Not a good thing. Changing the OAL is never a good thing.

You are setting yourself up for a high pressure event by reducing OAL.

-Doc

You seem to indicate that you are using a factory round, not a reload. While you didn't say what caliber you're referringthe problem too, what appears to be the problem is that the bullet is too loose in the mouth of the case; possibly not enough crimp if one is required. If it is in fact factory ammo then I would definitely call the manufacturer on this problem because as previously stated here, you're going to have an increased pressure problem.
    If it is not factory ammo, then I would check all of my reloaded rounds to see if you have a tight fit between the bullet and the mouth of the case. Any ones that are deemed loose or not properly crimped need to be pulled down and reloaded to tighter tolerances.
    Kill them all and let God sort them out!

Repeatedly chambering the same round will cause bullet setback. You have a few options:

I reload, so what I would do is put the round in a kinetic bullet puller, smack it a couple times to pull the bullet back out of the case - but not all the way. Then I would run the round into my bullet seating die to re-establish the proper overall length and then the LEE factory crimp die to resize the completed round and re-crimp.

To prevent bullet setback, I load my Taurus PT-145 using the following method.

1. Drop round into empty chamber by hand.
    2. Close slide with just enough force for the extractor to hop over the rim of the round.
    3. Insert a full magazine into the gun, firmly slapping it into the gun to ensure it is completely seated because of the extra force required to overcome the top round in the magazine pushing against the already closed slide.
    4. Pull the slide open enough to verify proper extraction of the round from the chamber and re-close the slide, verifying the gun is in full battery by observing/feeling the rear of the slide is even with the top of the frame.
    5. Engage safety.

Many people will claim this causes excessive wear on or breakage of the extractor, but I have not noticed any ill effects on my gun.

This is a factory loaded 40 S&W Speer Gold Dot. I do not chamber the round very often, so its happened pretty quickly. I usually leave the round in the chamber so i am curious is to how it happened so fast. I would probbaly say this happened after about 10 or so chambering of the rounds, as i only take it out to clean the dust out of the various parts and re-wipe the dust out of the barrel.

I used to load it by hand in the chamber because i noticed all the wear it caused on the casing to be extracted so many times but i did noticed the extractor becoming smoother when loading by hand and being forced over the already chambered round.

I guess i will just keep rotating the rounds to keep a fresh one chambered.

IIRC Federal says their SD rounds are only good for 2 chamberings before setback occurs, I would guess others are similar. I only chamber SD rounds one time for carry, then they go into a box to be shot at the next range session.
    George Washington: “They may pass a law to issue paper money, but 20 laws will not make the people receive it. Paper money is founded upon fraud and knavery.”

I carry Speer gold Dots in .40 S&W and never had that problem.
    You can run... but you'll just die tired. 3%

Quote Originally Posted by OldOwl View Post
    I carry Speer gold Dots in .40 S&W and never had that problem.

Maybe its because of my fully supported chamber and something to do with the recoil spring strength?

You don't carry yours in a Sigma just like mine do you, or is yours a different model?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast