.40 cal fans. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .40 cal fans.

I carry a Walther PPS 40 cal and load Hornady Critical Defense. The research I did indicated that it has good penetrating power as a post above mentioned. North East weather dictates thick clothing.

ya i have some power ball and critical defence also that im going to use during the winter months as here in texas it tends to get cold a lil bit or right around freezing for a couple months.

between those 2 rounds is one considered " better" over the other??

I think you picked some very fine rounds to use in your xd..I use those as well in my Glock 22.
    [/SIGPIC]
    Bagger Jim
    It's your right to protect youself..

I carry an XD40, 4-inch and at the moment it's loaded with 135-gr Fed HST's, but only because I found a deal on 'em. What I was actually looking for when I found the HST's was some Winchester PDX1's in 165-gr. Honestly, I didn't even know that there were 135-gr 40SW's. Awfully light load but these things perform flawlessly, just as I've found the PDX1's to. When I run out of these HST's I'll probably switch back to the PDX's. I have found that the Speer Gold Dots perform excellently, too. I believe that the Gold Dots are generally pricier than both Winchesters and Federals which is really the only reason I don't use 'em. I've also had good results with Cor-Bon and Hornady.

As for ropeadope's comment re: "anything in JHP" = satisfaction... Well, good/high quality ammo, I feel, just helps tip the scales a hair more in my favor. Good hits are obviously most important. But shortly behind that is bullet performance and I want to know that my ammo is going to perform correctly and consistently. A lot of lesser JHP's still mushroom and don't quite have as significant results as "pre-programmed expansion" JHPs. Some of these higher-end PP rounds also perform better than others when having to go thru various clothings. I've seen some that acted as non-hollowpoints and didn't expand at all after going through a parka, wherein the cavity of the bullet was packed with material from the coat.

And then there's the mantra that even range rounds are more effective than curse words!
    Don't do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics...

Quote Originally Posted by aj's 40 cal View Post
    got 3 loads id like your opinion on for my xd-40 subcompact. out of these 3 what would you carry for your 3 inch sc?

winchester 165g ranger talon

winchester 165g pdx1

or federal 155g hst

love to know what you think about these or anyother u think might be worth passing along.
    Whichever one is on sale...

Assuming they all shoot accurately and 100% reliably in your gun.

Take the price difference and buy more training ammo in the same bullet weight. Then train, train, train...

Jeff

7. Smile

:to_pick_ones_nose:
    Quote Originally Posted by aj's 40 cal View Post
    got 3 loads id like your opinion on for my xd-40 subcompact. out of these 3 what would you carry for your 3 inch sc?

winchester 165g ranger talon

winchester 165g pdx1

or federal 155g hst

love to know what you think about these or anyother u think might be worth passing along.

8. I like the powder in the winchester and federal. I think both are the same and the powder n=burns clean. If at a range you look down the range and see big smoke clouds youshould see the firearm, really a lot of powder burns on the firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by 6shootercarry View Post
    BANG!!.....CLANG!!! Hit the target...

Make 'em count. I'll also add the Hornady Critical Defense to the list for winter carry when clothing layers and heavy coats can have an adverse affect on even good JHP ammo.

2 pennies...
    Agreed that aim is more important than load! I feed Federal HST 155gr to my XD40 sub-compact.

Quote Originally Posted by hopnpop View Post
    I carry an XD40, 4-inch and at the moment it's loaded with 135-gr Fed HST's, but only because I found a deal on 'em. What I was actually looking for when I found the HST's was some Winchester PDX1's in 165-gr. Honestly, I didn't even know that there were 135-gr 40SW's. Awfully light load but these things perform flawlessly, just as I've found the PDX1's to. When I run out of these HST's I'll probably switch back to the PDX's. I have found that the Speer Gold Dots perform excellently, too. I believe that the Gold Dots are generally pricier than both Winchesters and Federals which is really the only reason I don't use 'em. I've also had good results with Cor-Bon and Hornady.

As for ropeadope's comment re: "anything in JHP" = satisfaction... Well, good/high quality ammo, I feel, just helps tip the scales a hair more in my favor. Good hits are obviously most important. But shortly behind that is bullet performance and I want to know that my ammo is going to perform correctly and consistently. A lot of lesser JHP's still mushroom and don't quite have as significant results as "pre-programmed expansion" JHPs. Some of these higher-end PP rounds also perform better than others when having to go thru various clothings. I've seen some that acted as non-hollowpoints and didn't expand at all after going through a parka, wherein the cavity of the bullet was packed with material from the coat.

And then there's the mantra that even range rounds are more effective than curse words!
    I tried the Federal 135gr JHP 40S&W loads and found they worked well in my M&P40c 3.5" barrel. They fed well and the lighter projectile weight offered less perceived recoil and I'm sure, better velocity from the short barrel. I load with those in the summer. I like the penetration of the Critical Defense and PDX1's when layers of clothing are in play... The Federal ammo was reasonably priced for a box of 50 rounds. About the same cost as a box of 20 or 25 PD ammo. That better allowed me to test fire for feeding. I put 30 through the gun with no issues which gave me a better feeling...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

11. I would go with the Federal HST's. That's what I carry in my XDm 40. I go with the 180g Law Enforcement rounds.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast