.40 cal fans.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .40 cal fans.

.40 cal fans.

got 3 loads id like your opinion on for my xd-40 subcompact. out of these 3 what would you carry for your 3 inch sc?

winchester 165g ranger talon

winchester 165g pdx1

or federal 155g hst

love to know what you think about these or anyother u think might be worth passing along.

A few of my favorites for my Glock 22,

Remington 165 gr. Golden Saber, does well in tests against auto body pannels

Glaser Pow'Rball 135 gr., A hollow point that isn't. It feeds like a FMJ but expends like a JHP.

Cor-bon 165 gr. JHP, Cor-bon makes HOT ammo, there is no substitute for velocity.

PMC 165 gr. Starfire, an underated bullet design from the same guy who designed the hydro-shok and Quik-shok, this bullet will EXPAND. It would be nice if they made a .444 Marlin load, which would probably expand upto 80 caliber.

Glasser Silver 115 gr frangable, Frangable load used by the Sky Marshalls, IIRC.

Glasser Blue 115 gr. frangable, a Frangable with less penetration.

Quote Originally Posted by aj's 40 cal View Post
    got 3 loads id like your opinion on for my xd-40 subcompact. out of these 3 what would you carry for your 3 inch sc?

winchester 165g pdx1

or federal 155g hst

love to know what you think about these or anyother u think might be worth passing along.
    All three will get the job done.
    "When a government robs Peter to pay Paul it will alway's have the support of Paul" George Bernard Shaw

Speer Gold Dot 165 GR JHP is what i am rocking, and at the time i did my research it was a top choice

Thumbs up Gold Dots

Quote Originally Posted by 901-Memphis View Post
    Speer Gold Dot 165 GR JHP is what i am rocking, and at the time i did my research it was a top choice
    That's a good Choice. The Gold Dot hollow point design is resistant to core-jacket separation and demonstrates good results when fired through glass.

FWIW, when CCI-Speer originally came out with the 165 gr 40S&W load, the load was downloaded to subsonic velocity. This was done by one other company as well to compete for an FBI contract. The FBI found that their subsonic 165 gr. load was garbage performance wise and would not cycle a lot of pistols 100% of the time. Once the FBI figured things out CCI-Speer got rid of their reduced loading in 165 gr. and now only make a full power 165 gr 40 S&W load.

About 10 years ago, my load of choice was the 155 gr. Gold Dot. I did not want to mistakenly purchace the reduced loading, so I used the 155 gr. version which was always full power. This is no longer an issue though, as they have not made the reduced loading in several years.

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    That's a good Choice. The Gold Dot hollow point design is resistant to core-jacket separation and demonstrates good results when fired through glass.

FWIW, when CCI-Speer originally came out with the 165 gr 40S&W load, the load was downloaded to subsonic velocity. This was done by one other company as well to compete for an FBI contract. The FBI found that their subsonic 165 gr. load was garbage performance wise and would not cycle a lot of pistols 100% of the time. Once the FBI figured things out CCI-Speer got rid of their reduced loading in 165 gr. and now only make a full power 165 gr 40 S&W load.

About 10 years ago, my load of choice was the 155 gr. Gold Dot. I did not want to mistakenly purchace the reduced loading, so I used the 155 gr. version which was always full power. This is no longer an issue though, as they have not made the reduced loading in several years.
    Does all this really matter ?

The three loads he mentioned are fabulous loads. As long as I've got something in JHP and in a lighter load than 180 grain, I'm satisfied.

I'm more interested in how well I place my shots than a magic bullet.
    "When a government robs Peter to pay Paul it will alway's have the support of Paul" George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Ropadope View Post

The three loads he mentioned are fabulous loads. As long as I've got something in JHP and in a lighter load than 180 grain, I'm satisfied.

And so are the loads I mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Ropadope View Post

BANG!!.....CLANG!!! Hit the target...

Make 'em count. I'll also add the Hornady Critical Defense to the list for winter carry when clothing layers and heavy coats can have an adverse affect on even good JHP ammo.

2 pennies...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Quote Originally Posted by aj's 40 cal View Post

winchester 165g pdx1

or federal 155g hst

I stopped buying Winchester. It's the ONLY 40 ammo I've had a LOT of duds with. I'm talking sometimes 3 in a box.
    You can run... but you'll just die tired. 3%

11. Same gun I carry. Speer Gold dot JHP for Short Barrel

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast