Shotgun Barrel Length

Thread: Shotgun Barrel Length

Shotgun Barrel Length

Does anyone know the shortest a shotgun barrel is allowed to be before it is illegal? I am looking at a use riot shotgun but I am afraid the barrel is too short, I live in PA if that makes a difference...thanks

handgonnetoter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by xdaddict View Post
    Does anyone know the shortest a shotgun barrel is allowed to be before it is illegal? I am looking at a use riot shotgun but I am afraid the barrel is too short, I live in PA if that makes a difference...thanks
    18 inches. Federal Law.

^ what he said^ , measured from the breechface to the muzzle.
    George Washington: “They may pass a law to issue paper money, but 20 laws will not make the people receive it. Paper money is founded upon fraud and knavery.”

thanks guys guess I will have to cut a dowel 18" and drop it in the muzzle, I would say to be safe 18.5" !!!

thanks guys guess I will have to cut a dowel 18" and drop it in the muzzle, I would say to be safe 18.5" !!!
    Yeah, a fellow named Randy Weaver got in trouble with the ATF because he sold a shotgun that had a 17.5" barrel. In the fight over that inch, the ATF shot his dog, his son Sammy in the back, and his unarmed wife who was at the time holding a baby in her arms.

18.5" is good. Be sure the firing pin is not protruding from the breech face. Just an associated bit of info.... while the barrel must be a minimun of 18", the overall length of the shotgun must be at least 26".

A shotgun having a barrel of less than 18 inches and an overall length of less than 26 inches and a rifle having a barrel of less than 16 inches and an overall length of less than 26 inches are classified as NFA weapons.

ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Importing & Exporting
    Only when our arms are sufficient, without doubt, can we be certain, without doubt, that they will never be employed....... John F. Kennedy
    Life Member NRA Life Member Marine Corps League

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    Yeah, a fellow named Randy Weaver got in trouble with the ATF because he sold a shotgun that had a 17.5" barrel. In the fight over that inch, the ATF shot his dog, his son Sammy in the back, and his unarmed wife who was at the time holding a baby in her arms.
    That sounds familiar, ruby ridge?
    -Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    That sounds familiar, ruby ridge?
    Yeah, I am not saying that Randy Weaver did everything right. But I will say, that he would have saved everyone a lot of grief if he would have simply told that federal agent who wanted the 17.5" barrelled shotgun to go *screw* himself.