CZ Pistols
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CZ Pistols

CZ Pistols

I know this is like asking Which is better, Ford or Chevy but... What are people's opinions/experiences with CZ handguns? I was discussing guns via email with a friend and he told me how great they are, how they compare to other guns but are better in price, etc.

I carry a S&W Sigma .40 (yeah, I know, but it was my first pistol so no comments there) and I'm looking to upgrade plus get my wife a not-quite-compact 9mm. The little 380 pocket guns are just too small, in my opinion so I'm looking at 9's for her.

I mainly would like to know about quality, durability, reliability, etc. and not a bunch of non-related opinions or how great this or that brand is.

Thanks in advance.

Goat

Well I own a CZ-52 semi. It fires a 7.62x25mm round and some loads can achieve 500 ft-lbs of muzzle energy.

The gun feels rock solid and is well balanced, very accurate. However, there is no double action, so you'd have to carry no round in the chamber and need to rack the slide, carry with a round chambered and need to cock the hammer, carry cocked and locked or cocked and locked with the safety on.

Its not what I would recommend for a good carry gun, hollow points are difficult to find and the round can have a tendency to over penetrate otherwise.

However, it would make for an excellent SHTF scenario sidearm, exactly what it's designed for.

They also have a decocker(yes, on a '52 design), however they are notoriously unreliable. As you should with any decocker, aim in a safe direction before using it.
    One must be wary of the mentality creating the problem or the law creating the crime.

I love America and the Constitution, if you don't then get out!

Ok, pardon my ignorance but I don't see the 52 on CZ-USA.com. Are you referring to a pistol that fires a 7.62 round? As in the kind used in AR-15's and other assault rifles? I can't say I've ever seen/heard of that. Seems like that would kick like a mother. :)

I carry a GLOCK 30, most tend to be "afraid" of the 45,............. im not sure why! I use "power ball" ammo/ I just believe in "bigger hole, bad guy bleeds faster"

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaingoat61 View Post
    Ok, pardon my ignorance but I don't see the 52 on CZ-USA.com. Are you referring to a pistol that fires a 7.62 round? As in the kind used in AR-15's and other assault rifles? I can't say I've ever seen/heard of that. Seems like that would kick like a mother. :)
    AR15 fire a 5.56 /.223 round AKs fire a 7.62X39

I own several CZ (75B, RAMI, 82. 452) they are all quite reliable they all have DA/SA capability (except the 452 which is a rifle) and they are all quite accurate. You may want to ask your question on THR.us or czforums.com for a more rounded answer.

The review I hate to post: CZ-75 Compact 40 - TheHighRoad.US
    Tell me about CZ-82s. - TheHighRoad.US
    The CZ Club - TheHighRoad.US
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

You should look at the Walther/S&W 99 in 9mm. It's a good size for a lady's hands, light weight, and reliable.
    War to the Knife, Knife to the hilt.
    If we don't want to live in a trashy area, we all have to be willing to help pick up the trash.

Quote Originally Posted by medic72 View Post
    I carry a GLOCK 30, most tend to be "afraid" of the 45,............. im not sure why! I use "power ball" ammo/ I just believe in "bigger hole, bad guy bleeds faster"
    And again, not asking for opinions on other brands... just wondering about CZ's

9. Quote Originally Posted by Mountaingoat61 View Post
    I know this is like asking Which is better, Ford or Chevy but... What are people's opinions/experiences with CZ handguns? I was discussing guns via email with a friend and he told me how great they are, how they compare to other guns but are better in price, etc.

I carry a S&W Sigma .40 (yeah, I know, but it was my first pistol so no comments there) and I'm looking to upgrade plus get my wife a not-quite-compact 9mm. The little 380 pocket guns are just too small, in my opinion so I'm looking at 9's for her.

I mainly would like to know about quality, durability, reliability, etc. and not a bunch of non-related opinions or how great this or that brand is.

Thanks in advance.

Goat
    CZ's are very well built pistols. The Czechs were making Mauser rifles under contract at the Brno arsenal for decades and are known for innovative firearm designs (ie., the BREN gun was a Czech design originally). In a nut shell, they don't build junk. Eccentric at times, maybe, but not junk. All the CZ-75's and it's variants that I've shot over the years were well built guns. Some of their compact guns a bit too bulky for my taste (like the CZ 70 and the CZ 83) but all of them that I've fired were pretty accurate and very reliable.

I've got my eye on a couple of their guns that I plan on eventually adding to the collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    AR15 fire a 5.56 /.223 round AKs fire a 7.62X39
    Thanks for the clarification. Same caliber, shorter cartridge. :-)

I have never shot one, or even found one to hold, but from what I have read it is a very reliable brand of guns. I'm working my way to a Browning Hi Power, so I was going to buy the CZ 75 (Browning Clone) to see how I like it.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast