1911 Group - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1911 Group

Quote Originally Posted by Rob54 View Post
    Or a RIA I know they have a bad reputation but most people haven't fired one..
    ???...bad reputation? I own a Rock island Compact that is just as reliable as my S&W 1911...neither has had any issues what so ever. I hadnt heard any complaints that were different than other 1911 weapons from different manufacturers. Seems like all of them put out a lemon every once in a while. The finish on my smith may be slightly better but they both are boringly reliable.
    Due to the increased cost of Ammunition I will be forced to discontinue warning shots as of now! USAF Chief Master Sergeant, Retired, 1979-2005

Quote Originally Posted by Chief1297 View Post
    S&W 1911...
    I am trying to decide which is more odd, a S&W 1911 or a S&W AR-15.

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    I am trying to decide which is more odd, a S&W 1911 or a S&W AR-15.
    More odd ? Ya got me stumped but I dont know anything about the AR-15 (apart from the militarized version). Apart from the external extractor on the 1911 they are not that much different from any other 1911. I got a really good deal on the 1911 which was something I couldn't pass up. I will readily admit (apart from having 2 1911s) to not being a 1911 aficionado so the appearance of the external extractor doesnt bother me. My main requirement is that it be reliable.
    Due to the increased cost of Ammunition I will be forced to discontinue warning shots as of now! USAF Chief Master Sergeant, Retired, 1979-2005

Quote Originally Posted by eaccents View Post
    Not answering Itstjs's question, but just tagging along with MA Duce to give the OP more 1911 information:
    BTW, I don't know if Itstjs intends to carry this 1911, but many forum posters recommend that for self-defense you choose guns that are similar in terms of how they function. For example, you may not want to switch back and forth between a 1911 in condition one (which is probably the best way to carry it) and an M&P which is a striker fired DA/SA. In one you have to release the safety in order to use your weapon; in the other you just pull the trigger. God forbid that under stress you forget to release the safety?

It makes sense to me: when under extreme duress you don't have time to think--you just react. Therefore, you should practice practice practice (did I say it enough times?) with the firearm that you intend to carry.

Good luck in finding a piece that fits you, Itstjs.
    Thanks for a post that provided such useful info. 2>>>>>
    Condition Two is problematic for several reasons, and is the source of more negligent discharges than the other conditions. When you rack the slide to chamber a round in the 1911, the hammer is cocked and the manual safety is off. There is no way to avoid this with the 1911 design. In order to lower the hammer, the trigger must be pulled and the hammer lowered slowly with the thumb onto the firing pin, the end of which is only a few millimeters away from the primer of a live round. Should the thumb slip, the hammer would drop and fire the gun. Not only would a round be launched in circumstances which would be at best embarrassing and possibly tragic, but also the thumb would be behind the slide as it cycled, resulting in serious injury to the hand. A second problem with this condition is that the true 1911A1 does not have a firing pin block and an impact on the hammer which is resting on the firing pin could conceivably cause the gun to go off, although actual instances of this are virtually nonexistent. Finally, in order to fire the gun, the hammer must be manually cocked, again with the thumb. In an emergency situation, this adds another opportunity for something to go wrong and slows the acquisition of the sight picture.>>>>
    Regarding lowering the hammer. So at the end of the day you want to put your cocked and locked 1911 away. What to do?
    You lower the hammer very carefully or is it wise to try never to do that and instead you drop the magazine and re rack the slide ejecting the chambered round then lower the hammer?
    This is one of the things I need to feel comfortable before carrying a 1911. Your input for this 1911 novice is appreciated.

Stainless steel Springfield Arm. 1911-A1-GI. Over 500 rounds down w/o a failure. Have to hide it from my 27 yr old daughter whenever she comes for a visit. :-0
    She purchased a RIA 1911 with all the bells/whistles recently. Now she has something to hide from me.
    They both shoot straight (especially with her shoot'n) and where both around $500. They both would save your life in a gun fight, IF you can't get away. OR you don't have to get away.
    NOV 2, 2012
    jd

I own several 1911's and none were cheap

Springfield chambered in 9mm
    Sig GSR chambered in .45
    Para Ordinance in .45
    Colt Delta chambered in 10mm

get what you can afford and learn and handle the weapon as much as you can.

Look into Taurus PT 1911. Lots of features and smith'ing right out of the box, a lot of gun for the $600 price range. I have one and I love it. 1500 rounds and counting. Eats every ammo including the wolf steal cased crap would not jam in it.

Came with two 8 round mags. I bought two 10 round mags for the range. Can put 8 rounds on paper in 3 second at 21 feet.

I bought a much more expensive Springfield SS Champion commander size, it gets feed jams all the time.

Check out mine: PT 1911B

Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

They have a PT 1911 AL or ALR (rail) models that drops 7 + ounces off with an aluminum frame. You might actually be able to carry that one.... nah

Putting your 1911 away at EOD

Regarding lowering the hammer. So at the end of the day you want to put your cocked and locked 1911 away. What to do?
    You lower the hammer very carefully or is it wise to try never to do that and instead you drop the magazine and re rack the slide ejecting the chambered round then lower the hammer?
    This is one of the things I need to feel comfortable before carrying a 1911. Your input for this 1911 novice is appreciated.

I'm not sure if my comments have any merit since I don't actually have a 1911 YET .... but when I do get my 1911 [someday!], I will first practice decocking by pulling the trigger and controlling the hammer descent with snap caps in the gun, and then go from there to decocking with regular rounds once I am comfortable and confident that I can do so safely. I figure revolver folks have to do this, so I should be able to [eventually] as well.

If you are really nervous, take the bullets out first (like you said): drop the mag, and rack the slide to eject the one in the chamber....

If you are really nervous, take the bullets out first (like you said): drop the mag, and rack the slide to eject the one in the chamber....
    Thanks Not really not that nervous. I just wanted feedback if it is a total no no or just something that is done but carefully. The first safety step would be careful where the gun is pointed. I have lowered the hammer checking out various 1911's The snap cap is always a good idea when practicing handling the gun. Your sentiments about SA revolver people are same as mine. Guess I really wanted to clear up how often lowering the hammer on a chambered round is done...for any reason. Thanks for your input.

Actually a cocked revolver is more problematic than the cocked 1911. In the 1911 just remove the magazine, rack the slide being sure the chambered round ejects. Voila, a safe gun.

In the revolver (and if you want to decock a loaded 1911) with the gun pointed in a safe direction put your thumb and forefinger together in front of the hammer (holding the slide in your hand so that the gun is pointed away from your fingers) Let's call this the left hand. With the right hand pull the trigger while controlling the hammer with your thumb and forefinger of the left hand. Then release the trigger with the right hand, then lower the hammer with the thumb and forefinger of the left hand.

it doesn't matter which hand does what action. I used right and left just to show what each hand has to do.

If I weren't so lazy, I'd show it with pictures.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast