How can I help my wife???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can I help my wife???

How can I help my wife???

Hello all,

I've been an avid firearm user for over 18yrs and am very comfortable owning, soon to be carrying. My wife on the other hand gets very nervous, (she can't even fire a BB gun) due to her ex and the issues he caused, any ideas on how I can help ease her fears of firearms?
    She's ok with guns in the home, as long as they are locked and ammo seperate from the pistol. I'll be carrying a .357 4in on my person day to day and keeping a .38 in the home for protection, will I want to teach her on this firearm, or start her on a .22? I plan on teaching her how to handle a .22 pistol and LR come Feb, March after she delivers.

Thanks once again to the family here on usa carry for all your thoughts and insights,

thornton8000

Well I was lucky my wife decided she would go buy her own gun without me. She had been to the range with me a few times and decided that she wanted to be able to do it herself. My advice would be to get her signed up to a fire arms safety and marksmanship class with a competent instructor. I've found that it's easier on everybody if your not the one doing the teaching.

Cool

I have gone thru something similar with my x fiancee she doesn't like guns we have remained friends even though we decided to go seperate ways in the relationship we still meet up and have dinner or have coffee as friends she recently came around and asked me to teach her how to shoot and take her to the range it surprised the hell out me when we do something together she doesn't even know in ccw so it surprised me a lot my advice would be don't push her into it just talk and somehow let it be her idea.....rather be tried by twelve than carried by six....... Hector
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Thin Blue Line
    Asst CCW Instructor FL

My wife was always fearful & nervous around firearms until she took a CWP course. This opened her eyes and gave her more determination to pursue her CWP and SD training.

Go to the NRA website and look for "Women-On-Target" events in your area. IMO; these are the BEST events to get the non shooting woman in your life involved in shooting.

WOT events are "strictly" for women only! No men are allowed aside from instructors & RSOs.

My wife and I have been participating in these events for a few years now; and there have been many NS & AG women come through. I cannot recall even "one" of these women leaving still afraid, anti, or not interested in further pursuing shooting sports & SD training.

Only when our arms are sufficient, without doubt, can we be certain, without doubt, that they will never be employed....... John F. Kennedy
    Life Member NRA Life Member Marine Corps League

What's her specific concern? It's very difficult to address a general concern. So, together, try to peel the onion. You said her ex is the cause of her unease around firearms. What was that he did or didn't do? For example, was he unsafe when handling his firearms? If so, what specifically did he do that was unsafe in her view? It sounds like she has transferred these same concerns from her ex to you...but she's reluctant to talk about the specifics possibly because of her feelings for you.

I would go with a .22lr Revolver, ( even less scary than an auto ) and let HER Pick it out!

Pink maybe?

http://www.usacarry.com/forums/attac...1&d=1290977376

Good to start where we all kinda begin. 22LR rifle or handgun. Basic safety and handling techniques. Comfort with that will perhaps bring comfort with larger calibers...

I'm lucky in that my wife was brought up around firearms and assisted her step-father with reloading. She fired a .44 Mag with a good degree of control and accuracy. She has her Class A LTC here in MA...

Take it slow and make it enjoyable.
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    +1000
    Get your wife to spend some time at this site!

handgonnetoter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by homershoots View Post
    Well I was lucky my wife decided she would go buy her own gun without me. She had been to the range with me a few times and decided that she wanted to be able to do it herself. My advice would be to get her signed up to a fire arms safety and marksmanship class with a competent instructor. I've found that it's easier on everybody if your not the one doing the teaching.
    I would agree with that assumption. Some people, especially those who have a fear of firearms, tend to learn better from a qualified instructor than a husband or something like that. Good luck and be patient, she will probably come around in some time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast