How many rounds - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How many rounds

I wonder if the Instructor buys Cars the same way.

I'm not real sure about this adjusting the sights thing. I don't shoot at the 3 / 5 / 7 Yrd line sighting in anything. Point and shoot. That's from the draw to point shoulder. I usually have fired off 2 rounds prior to coming to full or modify extension of the arms. As for a new weapon, gotta run at least a few boxes through to get the feel and balance. I would highly suggest you use ONLY the ammo you plan to CC with. It might be a bit more expensive but the whole idea is for you to be DEAD ON with your weapon and loads. JUST my opinion....
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

I put at least 250 rounds of carry ammo through mine, I want to make sure there will be no mishaps if it is needed. I agree with Oldbanjo....What kind of instructor would do that. Remind me NOT to take any classes from him..
    Its Better To Have It And Not Need It Than To Need It And Not Have It.

Are you 100% sure that your friend is a Real NRA instructor?

seems to Me (NRA instructor) that he needs to go back to be recertified.

He should not be putting his life and the life of others by carrying an untested firearm on his side.

You are actually doing the right thing. Always test your firearms and maintain them well ( clean and lubricate as needed) so you know that you have a reliable side arm.

best of luck to you. Your friend need to go back and re-evaluate his NRA certifications he is dangerous and he is also giving us NRA istructord a dang bad name.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry561 View Post
    .... I agree with Oldbanjo....What kind of instructor would do that. Remind me NOT to take any classes from him..
    Same type of instructor as the LEO/instructor teaching a gun safety class who does not check his gun to make sure it is empty and shoots himself.

Even a used gun gets a couple boxes of FMJ run thru it and some of the planned SD loads. If not, all you may have is a hammer.

I don't think there is any real magic number... At least 100 rounds of FMJ through the autos to make sure there is no real issue with the firearm in general. In most cases if there is an issue with the firearm it will show up in 100 rounds. 20-25 rounds of carry ammo is the usual for me. If it's gonna have an issue that is ammo specific it will happen in 20-25. Further practice will keep the cycle going.
    I'll try different carry ammo after some research and note if there are other users who have had issues or good luck with it in the same firearm type then I'll try some and see how it works for me..
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Yep stingray2100 I'm sure he is an instructor. He tough the carry class I had to go through. And yes there was more than once I bit my tongue. I hope you didn't think I was giving NRA instructors in general a hard time. I just found it odd someone with 30 years of shooting experience (he says) and going through the NRA instructor training, would be doing something that sent a cold chill down my back. He is a nice guy for the most part, but as I tell the people I train & work with "bad training kills." I agree he needs some time back in the class room listing, not teaching.

oldbanjo, totally agree that if a door opens that late at night I have more than just a flashlight in my hands. And sure not a pistol I never shot. :)

Thanks everyone for the feed back. Though we each have our own way of getting there sounds like we all agree that a pistol needs to prove itself before we bet our life or those of our family on it doing so.

I guess you can be an Instructor and not have any common sense. Someone with common sense wouldn't do some of these stupid things. These are the people that need to practice every single day.

If I'm going to trust my life on the dependability of a weapon, it's going to have proven itself as reliable with the ammo it's loaded with. I like to practice on a regular basis to maintain and increase my skill level.

Quote Originally Posted by tnhawk View Post
    If I'm going to trust my life on the dependability of a weapon, it's going to have proven itself as reliable with the ammo it's loaded with. I like to practice on a regular basis to maintain and increase my skill level.
    +1 on that.

I get out the Ouija Board for an extended session with the Spirits before I decide on a load I can carry without shooting it first.
    Better to perish in the struggle for freedom than live to see defeat. There ARE things to be feared more than death. The fyrd is a Constitutional imperative.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast